Question regarding NAMUS's process of matching dna of Does and MP's

How often does NAMUS automatically match the DNA of a mp with the dna of their remains once its entered into the system?
I think CODIS is the system that does this. I am working on an Unknown/Jane Doe case and a missing woman from the area was suggested as a match. The UP has DNA in CODIS and so does the missing woman, because her family submitted a sample. She was excluded as the Jane Doe because they were not a CODIS match. I believe this is automatic, so she had been an exclusion, but not named as one, since nobody suggested her.

@GatorFL how often does codis not recognize a match
I don't know. I know that sometimes a more detailed analysis needs to happen but I don't know what triggers that. Likewise, I think many UP are missing DNA. Same for MP, many may not have DNA in the system. I just recently learned this when law enforcement did the comparison for me.

@GatorFL is there a way 2 see what identifiers a case has in NAMUS
I have a public profile

i feel like the system is flawed in that it doesnt consider mitochondrial dna but i could be wrong. i wish they would find a way to fix that.
I believe that it indeed does consider this. The exclusion I referred to earlier was a mitochondrial mismatch. The missing's mother gave a sample and I was told my Jane Doe did not match mitochondrial DNA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back