Ramsey Home Walkthrough by Paula Woodward 1

Also, I thought I read here the house once had an elevator that was bricked shut.

Hi Corey. Yeah, the place is a puzzle until you go over and over it. The door John Fernie said he looked through to read the ransom note on the floor is at 18.43 in the video. The cameraman is standing in the hall between the kitchen and the garage. The spiral staircase is behind him. On the left you can see the doorway to the kitchen.

The couple who owned the house before the Ramseys needed an elevator for the wife, who used a wheelchair. The elevator shaft used to run from one of the closets in the train room up through what was the Ram's breakfast room and up to the 2nd floor in what became the play room. It was torn out when the house was remodeled. HTH.

The house also had a dumb waiter. I've never been able to find its location or former location. There was a laundry chute, too, when the Ram's lived there that went from the 3rd floor down to the basement. Still looking for it in the photos and videos...... The biggest mystery is the space below the bathroom off the hall by the basement door. The Rams built closets everywhere but left the space between that floor and the foundation enclosed and empty. Strange. Maybe it's haunted by the ghosts of hideous wallpaper.

The house also had a dumb waiter. I've never been able to find its location or former location. There was a laundry chute, too, when the Ram's lived there that went from the 3rd floor down to the basement. Still looking for it in the photos and videos...... The biggest mystery is the space below the bathroom off the hall by the basement door. The Rams built closets everywhere but left the space between that floor and the foundation enclosed and empty. Strange. Maybe it's haunted by the ghosts of hideous wallpaper.

Could this be the laundry chute? It is located in the hallway leading to the game -room, second floor:

Marker 8:26ff

attachment.php

[video=youtube;uWyAobuvP-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyAobuvP-E[/video]

-Nin

Attachments

• Ramsey drop1.jpg
    Ramsey drop1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 793

I saw the laundry chute at one time. Can't remember which link. I believe on the 3rd floor it was behind the back staircase. Like you go up the spiral staircase then the next staircase to the 3rd floor. Turn right at top and the door to the chute is on the immediate right. So I guess that would be outside the bathroom.

Hi Corey. Yeah, the place is a puzzle until you go over and over it. The door John Fernie said he looked through to read the ransom note on the floor is at 18.43 in the video. The cameraman is standing in the hall between the kitchen and the garage. The spiral staircase is behind him. On the left you can see the doorway to the kitchen.

The couple who owned the house before the Ramseys needed an elevator for the wife, who used a wheelchair. The elevator shaft used to run from one of the closets in the train room up through what was the Ram's breakfast room and up to the 2nd floor in what became the play room. It was torn out when the house was remodeled. HTH.
Ok thanks. I see it now. That is a whole lot further than where I thought the other door was. He must have Superman vision to see that far let alone be able to read it.

Could this be the laundry chute? It is located in the hallway leading to the game -room, second floor:

Marker 8:26ff

attachment.php

[video=youtube;uWyAobuvP-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyAobuvP-E[/video]

-Nin

Yes that absolutely fits with where I saw it on the 3rd floor. Thank you.

Thanks very much, No it's not + Corey.

Yes, I believe that's the door to the chute, and there's one just like it on the 3rd floor, just inside Patsy's bath. The part I've not been able to figure out is the location of the bottom of the chute.

2000A&EShow176.jpg

While we're at it, here's a screen capture also from acandyrose (from the A&E program), of the strange door in the wall on the BP staircase.

2000A&EShow212.jpg

And here's a shot of the area below the half bath. The lower 1/3 - 1/2 is apparently empty. The interior wall would be the one separating this space from the basement stairs.

winter-north1RS.jpg

Probably a dumb question here, but in the first video, what are we looking at exactly as far bedrooms go? I know the second bedroom with the airplane motif is BR's; is the first bedroom (with the windows overlooking the balcony) JBR's? I ask because, I always thought JBR's bedroom had a door that leads to a balcony -- the one in the video doesn't (unless I missed it). Thanks in advance.

The house is a rabbit warren of weirdness.
Indeed. While watching it I expect something like In A Gadda Da Vidda or Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss to start playing.

laundry chute

Many moons ago there was an unconventional theory involving this chute but I don't remember the details.

Edit to my previous post (for some reason, I can't edit that particular post): never mind, that wasn't JBR's bedroom -- that can be seen in the 1C video. So my next question would be, why would any parents give a bedroom with access to an outdoor balcony to the youngest sibling? Maybe it's not the biggest deal in the world, but still -- why not just give her the bedroom in the first video? Seems like a much safer option.

Also, if you're going to give a kid this bedroom (with door access to the balcony and its own bathroom), why wouldn't the older sibling (BR) get that bedroom? Wouldn't the older sibling be trusted more and wouldn't he get the bigger room? Somewhat trivial questions I suppose, but still, just adds to the weirdness. If you're a parent, wouldn't you want to keep your youngest closer to you in the house, in a bedroom that didn't have direct access to an outside balcony -- nor a direct route (via the spiral staircase) to an outside door of the backyard? She could have sneaked out if she were ever so inclined, and the parents would have never heard her at all, considering the proximity of their master bedroom to her bedroom. It's not only weird, but it's illogical to have given her this bedroom.

Indeed. While watching it I expect something like In A Gadda Da Vidda or Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss to start playing.

Many moons ago there was an unconventional theory involving this chute but I don't remember the details.

The thing that strikes me about the house is that it is so fricking fragmented. It's almost like they (or maybe just PR) had an obsession with creating as many weird recessed knick-knack areas as possible. I know it used to be in-style to have many rooms/walls -- as opposed to now, where it's in-style to have everything open and for a home layout to flow -- but even for the 90's, the layout is way too unnecessarily complex and fragmented; it's just a waste of the space to have all these little hallways and little areas with cabinetry at practically every turn. Even in the master bedroom, it's such an odd layout -- I don't even know where the bed would be in that room, on the wall with the security panel maybe?

Edit to my previous post (for some reason, I can't edit that particular post): never mind, that wasn't JBR's bedroom -- that can be seen in the 1C video. So my next question would be, why would any parents give a bedroom with access to an outdoor balcony to the youngest sibling? Maybe it's not the biggest deal in the world, but still -- why not just give her the bedroom in the first video? Seems like a much safer option.

Also, if you're going to give a kid this bedroom (with door access to the balcony and its own bathroom), why wouldn't the older sibling (BR) get that bedroom? Wouldn't the older sibling be trusted more and wouldn't he get the bigger room? Somewhat trivial questions I suppose, but still, just adds to the weirdness. If you're a parent, wouldn't you want to keep your youngest closer to you in the house, in a bedroom that didn't have direct access to an outside balcony -- nor a direct route (via the spiral staircase) to an outside door of the backyard? She could have sneaked out if she were ever so inclined, and the parents would have never heard her at all, considering the proximity of their master bedroom to her bedroom. It's not only weird, but it's illogical to have given her this bedroom.

I've wondered that as well.

I suppose there are a couple of possibilities. JonBenet was the little princess, so she gets her own balcony? Also, I'm pretty sure Burke didn't have an en suite bathroom and had to use the hall bath.

Or maybe Burke was the higher maintenance child when bedrooms were chosen.

Whatever the reason, I can't imagine wanting to sleep that far away from my young children. I get turning the third floor into a master when the kids are older so you can have some peace and privacy, but the Ramsey kids were very young when that arrangement was made. It's always struck me as strange, regardless of how much money they had.

I suppose there are a couple of possibilities. JonBenet was the little princess, so she gets her own balcony? Also, I'm pretty sure Burke didn't have an en suite bathroom and had to use the hall bath.

Whatever the reason, I can't imagine wanting to sleep that far away from my young children. I get turning the third floor into a master when the kids are older so you can have some peace and privacy, but the Ramsey kids were very young when that arrangement was made. It's always struck me as strange, regardless of how much money they had.

I believe the room was initially Beth's actually. Maybe Melinda? One of the older girls anyway, then when Beth passed away it was switched up. I think JB's room was by Burke's room at first, which is much further away. The stairs leading up to the third floor are right outside of JB's room, so that could be the best room for her in terms of hearing her call for them or whatever. PR stayed in JAR's room during her bout with cancer, and that is right across the hall. The balcony thing is a little strange, but maybe it just wasn't an issue with her. She seemed like a very obedient and well-behaved child.

The stairs leading up to the third floor are right outside of JB's room, so that could be the best room for her in terms of hearing her call for them or whatever.

The stairs to the third floor were near Burke's bedroom. Little JonBenet was the farthest from her parents room as the stairs she was near went down to the first floor, not up to the third.

The stairs to the third floor were near Burke's bedroom. Little JonBenet was the farthest from her parents room as the stairs she was near went down to the first floor, not up to the third.

There are two staircases going up to the third floor.

I can post an image when I get home from work, otherwise there are floor plans readily available online.

Harmony, see my post #27. In the first picture you'll see three doorways. The first is the entrance to the Patster's bath. Just past that is the entrance to the enclosed stairway that goes down to the second floor and opens onto the hall just past JB's bedroom. If you look through the next opening, you're looking across the parents' bedroom, west to east, towards the front of the house, and on the left you can see the railings for the main stairway to the second floor. The A&E show has nice footage of walking down the enclosed stairs. Let me see if I can get it for you.

(time passes.....)

Okay, here it is: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QofH2gBtC6A

The segment from 2:39 to 3:40 shows the route up the main stairs to the 3rd floor parents' bedroom and down the enclosed stairs to the hallway that connects JB's bedroom area to the playroom.

There are floor plans on page 1 of this thread.

Harmony, see my post #27. In the first picture you'll see three doorways. The first is the entrance to the Patster's bath. Just past that is the entrance to the enclosed stairway that goes down to the second floor and opens onto the hall just past JB's bedroom. If you look through the next opening, you're looking across the parents' bedroom, west to east, towards the front of the house, and on the left you can see the railings for the main stairway to the second floor. The A&E show has nice footage of walking down the enclosed stairs. Let me see if I can get it for you.

(time passes.....)

Okay, here it is: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QofH2gBtC6A

The segment from 2:39 to 3:40 shows the route up the main stairs to the 3rd floor parents' bedroom and down the enclosed stairs to the hallway that connects JB's bedroom area to the playroom.

There are floor plans on page 1 of this thread.

It is a bit further than I thought. That house is such a maze. It's like a dollhouse, ugly wall paper and all.

Is it weird that I would love to live in that house? For all its ridiculousness it's a nice house. Especially now that they've renovated even more. I would have preferred they not remodel the basement to look like a medieval tavern (with awful plastic rocks). That bothers me, and it's ugly.

Who knows, it seems to go up for sale every few years, maybe I'll get a shot at it.

i see what your point is harmone E. i agree totally!
doesnt matter how many sets of stairs there are as they all lay in their beds ( from what i can figure) JBR was extremely far away from mum and dad:-(
maybe the fact BR was directly below mum and dad was on purpose?
i would have had JBR in that room next to BR directly below my bedroom. so everyone didnt feel isolated. yet another oddity in the PR parenting skill set for us to not fathom!

You're right about BR -- he didn't have an en suite bathroom. Yeah, I just don't get it -- that is an odd choice to give your youngest child that bedroom; I would have never done that. The other bedroom in the first video (that was shown with BR's and which I'm guessing was Malinda's) would have been the more logical choice. It would also have put JBR closer to BR, which also would have made more sense in that, the parent(s) could check on both without having to walk the extra distance; and wouldn't it just be human nature to want to have you r children (especially young children this age) closer in such a massive house? Why the heck would they need to be so separated within the household? I mean, I could see if they were older children in high school or early college but these were small children -- it's not like they needed their own separate wings to themselves.

This is a good image and really gives you a feel. One thing I'm confused on: I thought the Ramseys immediately left the house after the murder? John said he never stepped foot in it again, but PR was using it while undergoing chemo?

Image: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1da2994ca66b9e5f630/1470771677493/TS-4+C2.jpg

There are two staircases going up to the third floor.

I can post an image when I get home from work, otherwise there are floor plans readily available online.

Precisely and again, where would the bed have been? If it was on the wall with the security panel (I want to say the east wall, with the same area as the fireplace), then that separate staircase (which leads to Malinda's & Burke's bedrooms) would have again made much more sense! That other staircase (to JBR's room) lead from the closet/bathroom area of the third floor and would have been further than the other staircase that lead to Burke's room. So again, why the heck wouldn't they have put JBR in Malinda's room? It makes absolutely zero sense to me. Why did a 6 year old girl need her own wing of a house, on the opposite side of where her parents most likely had their bed?

To me, there are only two place where a bed could have been: on the east wall with the security panel, or maybe on the north wall across from the fireplace (see photo: http://extras.denverpost.com/news/3rdfloor.gif).In either scenario, the stairs that lead directly to Burke and Malinda's bedroom would be closer to said bedrooms compared to the spiral staircase that led to JBR's bedroom. Just utterly bizarre in my opinion not not put JBR in Malinda's bedroom -- I honestly can't wrap my head around it. JBR was the farthest from everyone else in the house. Why?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back