Recent Health News - Laundry & Germs

Also (and I hate to mention this, I am sorry in advance) the use/overuse of hand sanitizer is helping many bacteria to become resistant to treatment. And that is a bad, bad thing. I do use hand sanitizer, but only after changing a baby's diaper or handling raw meats/poultry. I guess I am contributing to the problem, but I don't trust that my hands get truly clean because I don't think I scrub up enough!

Its a phobia with me I think. I wash my hands normally but then have to use hand sanitizer. If I'm cooking and I touch something then I have to use it again. I don't do it all the time. Mostly just when I'm cooking, or cleaning my kitchen, or if I touch my trash can. LOL Sounds wierd now that I think about it. I did switch from alcohol based to the foaming kind.

Its a phobia with me I think. I wash my hands normally but then have to use hand sanitizer. If I'm cooking and I touch something then I have to use it again. I don't do it all the time. Mostly just when I'm cooking, or cleaning my kitchen, or if I touch my trash can. LOL Sounds wierd now that I think about it. I did switch from alcohol based to the foaming kind.

I do have a germ phobia and I do use hand sanitizer all the time. At home I use soap and water but out I use hand sanitizer. I know it is contributing to the problem but I really can't see myself not using it.

txsvicki,

Can you tell me the brand name of the liquid bluing? I can't use clorox or bleach in the wash because we have a septic system. When we bought this house, the inspector told us bleach was a no-no.

My white wash never comes out white, just a dingy white color. :frown:

We have a septic tank and I had no idea I wasn't suppose to use bleach. I learn something new everyday. I really have a germ phobia so germs drive me crazy. I had convinced myself that the dryer took care of all the germs. Now I am trying to re convince myself again that the dryer takes care of the germs. If not that will be one more thing that drives me crazy. I wash about 4 loads a day and I really don't have time to worry about adding new steps to help kill germs that I am pretty sure the dryer kills. Still talking myself back into the dryer kills the germs....

While I appreciate the caution for not leaving wet clothes in the washer to avoid mold growth, I am annoyed my these efforts to inspire fear and phobias. The human species did not evolve in a sanitized environment. Exposure to germs and bacteria is not only unavoidable but it is healthy for most of us. Unless you suffer a severe immunity ailment I don't see the point of becoming unnerved about the laundry.

Well, I can be unnerved because there is only one day a week that my favorite shelter runs residents clothes. Those that don't make laundry day get their clothes washed, dried, folded and returned from my house. (And the delivery guys laughed at my industrial size washer and dryer.) So, since I have non-family germs in my wash, I think I'll be a little more careful in the future. I run vinegar through the washer every few days, but that's about it, past cleaning out the dryer lint.
I'm still stuck on ew.

My son has eczema so I've been using a "free & clear" detergent for years. It has really made a difference for him. I also use a "free & clear" fabric softener and sometimes I use vinegar in the wash. I confess, though, that I wash everything in cold except for undies/socks, linens & towels. I'm not sure I'm going to change that. I do hang the majority of our clothes inside the house and then fluff them in the dryer to get rid of the crisp-ness. That, of course, doesn't provide the UV rays, though, that are supposedly necessary to kill the dust mites, etc. I live in Florida, though, and everything outside it typically covered in a yellow film from the pollen...can you imagine if I put my clothes on a line outside?!? YIKES!

@cypros: I hear what you are saying about creating fear, etc. and how germs are necessary. I agree with you. My son doesn't have a "severe immunity ailment" but his poor little skin gets so itchy when he is exposed to the fragrances, dust mites, etc. and one of the "remedies" is a topical steroid cream. Um...no! Not unless I absolutely have to! We use regular hand soap in our house...not the antibacterial kind. Have you noticed how hard it is to find that?! Everything is antibacterial these days! I'm starting to think a "superbug" is inevitable at this point.

I have a dust mite allergy - a severe one. My allergy doctor told me to always wash my bed linens and towels in no less than 130 degree water! He said the dust mites and their eggs can actually survive cold wash cycles. Who knew? I thought the mites would drown, but apparently not. He also told me always dry my laundry in the dryer because the dry heat kills the mites. Never hang your laundry outdoors if you have allergies. You'll just be bringing in all sorts of pollen and mites. Also, Clorox makes a special bleach made especially for allergy sufferers. I buy it at Winn Dixie. I used to have a thousand pillows on my bed, but my doc told me to get rid of them and use only pillows that are hypo-allergenic. I bought some at Bed, Bath and Beyond - along with a hypo-allergenic mattress cover that creates a barrier so the dust mites can not crawl into the mattress and live and breed in it. A mattress protector with a pore size of 1 micron is recommended - the mites can't burrow through that. This has made a huge difference for me and I'm breathing, sleeping, and waking up feeling much better since doing all this. I also removed the rug in my room (I have hardwood floors) and also the curtains. Mites can live in those too, and since I couldn't throw those in the washer I decided to get rid of them.

I can't believe the article didn't touch on front load washers and their above normal mold issues. Some front load washer makers have experienced legal suits over it... I can't remember which company it was, but they were sending owners info on replacing some front seals around the front door due to the mold issue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloridaThemisProject
Back