Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 1/9-1/12 Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you...I am going to try and find where someone said she had a step dad.....thanks again and I agree...she is very evil.

There is no "step dad", I think the confusion is that Jodi has an older half-sister. Her father had a first wife (or relationship) that resulted in a daughter. I do not think this half-sister has had what would be considered as close sibling relationships with her younger 2 half sisters and 2 half brothers. But there could be more to that part of the story. The older half sister does not seem to be involved in any kind of subject matter as part of this trial that I have read. But I could easily have missed something. I apologize for no source(s). (JMO)

If you google Jodi Arias My Space, there are numerous photos. This one she entitled "Sisters" (half-sister on right)

https://myspace.com/jodiarias/mixes/classic-family-471962/photo/202789079

If I am reading correctly, in 2009 the then mitigation master asked to be recused from the case or was she released by the judge

As I understand it, from reading the Minutes, Special Masters and Mitigation Masters are called in for specific issues only, and withdraw once they're dealt with. For instance:

Jan 7, 2009
IT IS ORDERED appointing the Hon. Gary Donahoe as the Capital Case Mitigation Discovery Master in the above matter.

Jan 21, 2010
Pursuant to the Supreme Court Administrative Order 2009-124, the Court has identified this Motion as one that is subject to the authority of the Special Master [Ruth V. McGregor].

Why yes it is! Same motion title. Y'all probably know all about this already but I'm just now reading this.

Eta: this is hilarious.

"Peewee's bike is in the Alamo basement with the Pentagon papers."

Have not seen this before tonight. Lawd have mercy!

Thank you for this. That there were *advertiser censored* files in the 2009 registry the DT didn't find seems entirely material as to whether or not the lack of the 2008 mirror image prejudiced JA.

But I keep asking about the letter of the law anyway, because these are the kind of technicalities addressed in appeals. In this case, regardless of what could or could not have been gained by the DT if they possessed the 2008 mirror image, was it the State's obligation to turn it over without being asked.

AZ can answer this as to the proper laws involved, but it was my understanding that the PT only has the obligation to make everything available, not to just give them all the evidence. Can you imagine if the police had to load up a van/truck with all the evidence collected from every crime scene and just give it all to the DT, whether the DT wanted it at that time or not, let alone had facilities to hold it all?

Quote Originally Posted by DebinGA View Post
From the above 13th Juror link:

"“…My [Nurmi] client cannot present a full case for life if these [secret testimony] documents are released. Mitigating evidence will be compromised,” he pleaded. He looked down at his notes and then back at the Judge. “This is not about the First Amendment and it is not about KPNX, the media or public rights. This is about our showing mitigating factors and her life. She is not actualized mitigation. The Defendant begs that we do not release these manuscripts.”

Sorry I could not locate original post to Reply With Quote. This BBM stood out for me suddenly.... which must mean that Jodi has not thus far in the secret testimony verbalized her "actual" mitigation?? Is she trying to match up with those affidavits (wonder when they were done versus her secret testimony)?? So if the affidavits are released before she finishes testifying this compromises her mitigation ??? What am I missing here in trying so hard to understand what Nurmi (or rather JA) meant??? Huh??? (JMO)

There is no "step dad", I think the confusion is that Jodi has a half-sister. Her father had a first wife (or relationship) that resulted in a daughter. I do not think this half-sister has had what would be considered as close sibling relationships with her 2 half sisters and 2 half brothers. But there could be more to that part of the story. The half sister does not seem to be involved in any kind of subject matter as part of this trial that I have read. But I could easily have missed something. I apologize for no source(s). (JMO)

I'm more interested in why JA went to a private school for her first 3 years, no wonder she thinks she's a "special snowflake".

Would love for the jury to see this: at about 17:51 ja leaving interview. There's a better view of this but I can't find it. Imo shows how evil she is
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5G6yuIaDM
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Like Shadowboy, I've been browsing through the Minutes this evening, and it seems Arias would agree with you! She filed motions to prevent her pretrial interviews from being introduced in evidence, period, but also (interestingly) mentions very specific portions of those interviews which she was particularly worried about - including the part where she asks for time to fix her face before being filmed, and of course, her notorious statement that no jury would convict her. She obviously wanted to charm/taint the jury pool in her favor, and filter out the bad parts in court.

In a similar vein, she filed a motion to preclude Travis from being referred to as "the victim" in court, on the basis that it would prejudice the jury against her claim of self-defense. Or in other words, she actually expected the court to assist with her defense. As you can imagine, Juan made short work of that, pointing out the obvious - that Travis IS the victim of a crime, regardless of who committed it, and victims are routinely referred to as such in trials. Hence no prejudice. And hence, DENIED.

There are many similar horrors - expectations of special treatment, etc. - a big cut-and-paste project for a rainy day.

I have always thought that Cancun did play a role in Travis's murder. Only because of all of the excuses/reasons JA gave Flores to take Cancun totally off the table. But just part of a role. JA was already back in Ca. when TA found out on April 15th that he even was qualified to go to Cancun. TA didn't ask Mimi to go until the 29th of April. I have read that it was May 1st or 2nd when Mimi accepted his invitation to go as friends only.
After hacking into TA's FB probably everyday, she finds out Mimi is going to Cancun. She then traps him into phone sex and records it.

May 5 - JA is UPSET because she was not mentioned or thanked for helping with the grammar or editing in his book, but Katie was.
May 18 -Travis' last journal entry shows he was clearly ready to get married, and was looking for the right girl.

Travis was going to expose her for what she was, and things she had done. that's clear in the texts he sent her in late May. JA HAD NO FRIENDS of her own. Everybody she was close to were TA's friends. PPL was Travis' world not hers. She would not let him RUIN her precious reputation.
I found this on youtube, it's much better than I could even explain it :smile: However, I don't think JA was ever on the ticket to go with TA to Cancun.

A Theory on What Could Have Happened During the Last Argument: The Perfect Storm

1) Jodi hacks into Travis' Facebook account, even while Travis is still logged into the account (this according to Travis' close friend Taylor Searle who Travis confided in).

2) While hacked into his Facebook account, Jodi is shocked to see Travis' messages, probably flirtatious messages with other women but more importantly, she perhaps saw messages between Travis & Mimi Hall, & only then found out he was taking Mimi to Cancun -- not some "babysitter" which he had previously been telling her he was taking. The gist of all the messages probably confirmed to Jodi that Travis was never serious about her. Feeling lied to about it probably added to the shock & rage that she must have been feeling.

3) Travis becomes equally shocked & enraged at the fact that Jodi hacked into his Facebook account. It's something that he's been very upset at her about before & this time he had apparently caught her redhanded. He confronts her about it.

4) Not only is Travis very angry, but Jodi is also very angry. She was probably expecting more of an apology from Travis but got the exact opposite. She was probably thinking that she was the one who had the right to be more angry because of the messages she saw, the fact that he's planning to take another woman to Cancun, the fact that he never intended to get back together with her or take her seriously, & feelings of being used, degraded, and played for a fool. Jodi retaliates by playing him the phone sex conversation she recorded weeks earlier. She then threatens to let people listen to it -- his future gf's, his bishop at church, his colleagues at PPL, his circle of friends, etc.

5) Travis, already fuming from the fact that Jodi hacked into his account & violated his privacy, becomes even more infuriated at the blackmail & calls Jodi sick, evil, a sociopath, the worst thing that ever happened to him. He tells her that he wants her out of his life for good.

6) Jodi, still buzzing from the shock & rage of seeing Travis' messages, continues to have it from him as he continues to berate her, calling her a "3 hole wonder", "*advertiser censored*", "*advertiser censored*", etc. Travis is so upset that he threatens to sue Jodi & that could be a reason why she mentions she'd be calling her attorney.

7) The argument leaves Jodi with a mixture of intense emotions including shock, hurt, devastation, and rage - the intensity of which she probably never experienced before in her lifetime. 2 days later, the feelings of rage do not dissipate but only get worse. Jodi makes the decision of her lifetime -- to kill Travis Alexander. She steals her grandfather's gun & reports it as a burglary. A week after that, Travis is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFejwEzV-cE

Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck37IM... to see Jodi's explanation of why Travis was so upset at her that day.

BBM: Her premeditation to kill was the culmination of every bad feelings that developed between Jodi and Travis, that's for sure. The hurt, humiliation, disappointment and desperation were all there for a long time and she probably thought of killing him for a while but I often ask myself what made her to finally act upon her murderous thoughts. I think when Travis told her to pay up for his damaged BMW, Jodi decided to kill him. It seems attorneys were involved with the BMW issues and Jodi seemed to have lost her case (since she did leave a payment, although it was a bad check). No way she was going to pay him $6000. He had to die.

It's because Death is different that she has given the DT such wide latitude and she's been very cautious to preserve this verdict on appeal so that it doesn't get overturned. Because she's given them such wide latitude is the reason people are thinking she's on the DT's side, but she's not. She knows what she's doing and we just have to do patient, Nurmi's case is almost over, no other witnesses are willing to testify for them, so the end is in sight.

I'm trying to have faith, unfortunately, I just finished following the Pistorius trial.... :thinking:

Has Juan made it clear to the jury through JS that there are no *advertiser censored* images on the computer?

Not clear enough imo, especially with KN spouting off about *advertiser censored* "images" instead of what they really are, urls, and getting away with it(didn't hear either JM or JSS correct him) when afaik there have been absolutely none found by either the PT or the DT. In fact, I even went back and relistened to all the trial videos I could find on both Dworkin and Melendez and both were very sure there were no *advertiser censored* "images" on TA's hard drive. Melendez even verified that he didn't even find any pics of any children let alone naked pics from either the waist up or the waist down of women. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hvA3hQpBk
and Dworkin said he stood by what he'd sworn previously that he had found no *advertiser censored* images, his testimony starts at about 58:00 for those who want to review it on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTpvEnF4ubA

I think that's what JSS was asking JM at the hearing. He didn't know the answer.

BBM - From:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?195462-*graphic-and-adult-content*-Jodi-Arias-Trial-media-timeline-thread-**no- discussion**/page6

"January 14, 2013 Det. Melendez testimony

January 14, 2012 morning testimony

Michael Melendez--witness for the prosecution

--works for Mesa PD. In June 2008 he was a detective in the computer forensics department. He conducted examinations of computer related evidence. Did forensic examinations.

--Prosecution is walking Melendez through the steps of what he examines and why. Melendez takes the hard drive and connects it to a
device that makes it incapable of being altered. A copy of the hard drive is made to work with. The original is kept.

--Looks at user account information, and last time computer was shut down. Melendez also looks at cameras. Looks at the memory cards in cameras. Similar process used to examine memory cards. A mirror image is made and software is used to look at the information.

--Melendez initially worked on a laptop. Prosecution asked about deleted information...what happens to deleted information on a computer?

Melendez is explaining how the operating system deals with deleted information. Deleted information stays in the operating system until new information is added to the open space. The operating system will overwrite the deleted information when the space is needed. Prosecution is now asking about deleting information from a camera/media card. The unallocated space doesn't have a file assigned to it so it sits empty until the computer needs the space. Investigators can look into unallocated spaces. Melendez uses forensic software to look at these unallocated spaces.
"

Sounds to me like he did use the 2008 Encase for his work, whether the DT picked up on that I have no idea, I would presume all that would have been marked on the evidence log for the HD when the DT came calling in 2009 and wanted to "see" what all they wanted. Imo, that they then took their own forensic copy at around that time means nothing more than they wanted to take their own copy to play with, especially since *advertiser censored* of any kind wasn't even an issue at that time.

I wish we could see his full report. Seems like if he did, then as Laurence likes to say... game over.

Would be great, though I believe Melendez' testimony from the trial adequately proves that KN's assertion that they just found out about the 2008 copy last month is a lie, especially since KN was in the courtroom during that testimony.

I am hoping that Monday will be a productive day in court and that things will proceed swiftly and justly.

I am hoping that Monday will be a productive day in court and that things will proceed swiftly and justly.

Right. And I am hoping that my Lottery ticket is the big winner and when I check it on Monday I will be a multimillionaire. I think my dream is about as likely as yours is. LOL

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 29s30 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Deanna Reid was in Costa Rica during this time and so it shows he lies #jodiarias #3tvarias

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 16s17 seconds ago
Whatever witness Nurmi says he has on *advertiser censored*, Martinez says TA wasn't even living in the house with that computer at the time. #JodiArias

So, legal question, is Nurmi under no obligation to validate his witnesses' veracity concerning these accusations? He's making false statements that JM can easily impeach. Where does this come under the quest for justice in any stretch of the imagination? He's an officer of the Court FGS. Mark McGee is a joke, completely discredited, and this is who Nurmi goes with?

That's a question for AZL, but defense attys get to hide behind defending anything their client says. It's up to the state to try to disprove it. They can't knowingly suborn perjury, but as long as they play like Sgt Schultz they know nussing except what their client leads them to they are safe.

As I understand it, from reading the Minutes, Special Masters and Mitigation Masters are called in for specific issues only, and withdraw once they're dealt with. For instance:

Jan 7, 2009
IT IS ORDERED appointing the Hon. Gary Donahoe as the Capital Case Mitigation Discovery Master in the above matter.

Jan 21, 2010
Pursuant to the Supreme Court Administrative Order 2009-124, the Court has identified this Motion as one that is subject to the authority of the Special Master [Ruth V. McGregor].

Was this perhaps around the time of the fake pedo letters that Matt created for her?

ETA: I guess it was not as found this

Drama in the case continued in August, when Arias told Judge Sherry Stephens of Maricopa County Superior Court that she wanted to represent herself.

"Do you have any experience?" Stephens asked. "Do you have a law license? Have you even read the statute you're accused of?"

Arias answered "no" to each question.

Nevertheless, Stephens granted the request but had her public defenders, Victoria Washington and Kirk Nurmi, remain on as advisory council.

Less than a week later, Arias' request to have Alexander's alleged letters admitted into evidence was denied. Afterwards, Arias told Judge Stephens she was "over her head." The judge then reinstated her defense counsel.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/29/jodi-arias_n_1174274.html

Quote Originally Posted by DebinGA View Post
From the above 13th Juror link:

"“…My [Nurmi] client cannot present a full case for life if these [secret testimony] documents are released. Mitigating evidence will be compromised,” he pleaded. He looked down at his notes and then back at the Judge. “This is not about the First Amendment and it is not about KPNX, the media or public rights. This is about our showing mitigating factors and her life. She is not actualized mitigation. The Defendant begs that we do not release these manuscripts.”

Sorry I could not locate original post to Reply With Quote. This BBM stood out for me suddenly.... which must mean that Jodi has not thus far in the secret testimony verbalized her "actual" mitigation?? Is she trying to match up with those affidavits (wonder when they were done versus her secret testimony)?? So if the affidavits are released before she finishes testifying this compromises her mitigation ??? What am I missing here in trying so hard to understand what Nurmi (or rather JA) meant??? Huh??? (JMO)

Trial reporting by tweet often results in a digital version of the old Telephone Game.

I think he probably said, "She HAS not actualized mitigation."

Pure conjecture, but since the DT did not complete direct examination before the end of the court day on November 3, perhaps LKN had not yet availed himself of the opportunity to ask if she took responsibility and whether she was remorseful so that she could fake-beg for her life.

It's just as likely -- more so -- that LKN means JA simply hadn't finished all her lying testiphony before her secret Tales of Prevarication were interrupted by the mean ol' Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurumsal