Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/3/14 Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's already happening. The judges said it's something she considered on Oct. 30. This is presumed to be sending the media to the overflow room, which she was set to do.

What I meant, is that during the whole trial there has been no live streaming video and the public already has to wait to see testimony till after end of trial for those not in the courtroom.

That is restriction enough. Do not kick media out of courtroom at all. Lessor restrictions of no live streaming already in place, no need for more restrictions at all.

I really hope this stay gives JSS a bit more backbone.

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 15h 15 hours ago

Court Doc: #JodiArias Appeals Ruling http://www.wildabouttrial.com/court_documents/court-doc-jodi-arias-appeals-ruling/ …

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 14h 14 hours ago

In case you're feeling financially generous... #JodiArias http://youtu.be/Zly9fpr6W_8

-----

:hilarious: "financially generous" ... the video that was released yesterday of CMJA's parents begging for $$$ for her appeal ...

I am :facepalm: 'ing so bad right now....

What time is the hearing today? TIA :seeya:

What I meant, is that during the whole trial there has been no live streaming video and the public already has to wait to see testimony till after end of trial for those not in the courtroom.

That is restriction enough. Do not kick media out of courtroom at all. Lessor restrictions of no live streaming already in place, no need for more restrictions at all.

I really hope this stay gives JSS a bit more backbone.

Oh, I see.

I agree!

But at this point I think sending them to the media room is a good compromise and, if the judge decides to keep witness identities secret, it's probably the best way to do that.

I just think about Juan, having agreed to the family's wishes of no stay, listening to Nurmi thinking, "I could argue the crap out of this."

I wonder if all of the sealed motions over the last year will ever be unsealed? Nurmi's sealed motion of 11-14-13, for instance, about rule 9.3.

On 11-14-13, JSS granted the motion to preclude live media coverage
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/112013/m6041522.pdf
and denied the renewed motion to sequester the jury
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/112013/m6041520.pdf
and the motion for individualized voir dire
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/112013/m6041521.pdf .

I think Juan Martinez must have been arguing.

I wonder if all of the sealed motions over the last year will ever be unsealed? Nurmi's sealed motion of 11-14-13, for instance, about rule 9.3.

I'm talking specifically about yesterday and his objection to a stay. Prior, yes, he was arguing. We know that.

Oh, I see.

I agree!

But at this point I think sending them to the media room is a good compromise and, if the judge decides to keep witness identities secret, it's probably the best way to do that.

If they are sent to the Media room OR Overflow room, Are there cameras in there where they can watch the trial and tweet to the public? Is that the alternative we are talking about regarding the overflow room?

Because if they are sent to a room and cant see or hear anything, then how is that different than locking them out altogether?

If they are sent to the Media room OR Overflow room, Are there cameras in there where they can watch the trial and tweet to the public? Is that the alternative we are talking about regarding the overflow room?

Yes. But they can position the camera in a way that obscures the witness' face. Of course, their name will still be called out for record. So I guess there's no point for that lol.

I think the best course is just warning them not to publish their names or serious charges will be brought. I'm sure the media will comply for fear of losing privileges.

If they are unsealed then we'll end up spending more time reading them than we have watching the last trial. ;)

Yes. But they can position the camera in a way that obscures the witness' face. Of course, their name will still be called out for record. So I guess there's no point for that lol.

I think the best course is just warning them not to publish their names or serious charges will be brought. I'm sure the media will comply for fear of losing privileges.

I see. Yeah, I think that is what Monica was alluding to when she tweeted about at least being able to "hear" it.

JSS really should see the writing on the wall and just reverse her decision and not let this 1 witness get special priveleges. I would hope one or all 3 of the appeal judges would have just called her yesterday to inform her of where they are likely to head with their ruling. A simple conference call could help her tremendously.

I'm just reposting this information from last year.
These cases are very different from the Arias case I know.

1. A Mesa woman was sentenced to three years probation after reaching a plea agreement in the stabbing of her husband over a Cosmopolitan magazine quiz. Judge Sherry Stephens sentenced Noelle Clough to probation with domestic violence terms and 90 days deferred jail on Thursday.

2. " Judge Stephens gave Linsk (A man who ran over/killed a neurosurgeon and drove away) 90 days in jail.

Respectfully Snipped and BBM: WOW ! Thank You, rose, for posting this !

Adding my :twocents:

And now we have it ... "something" regarding JSS' record as a "judge" ... pitiful !

This is WHY this Jury has got to deliver the DP ... the DP is what the Alexander Family and Juan want for CMJA !

I hope there is NO Zervakos on this jury because if there is, it will be hung and JSS will sentence the murderer ... and I have absolutely NO faith that JSS will sentence CMJA appropriately for the horrendous and cruel murder of Travis -- which at a minimum, should be LWOP.

JSS's recent ruling by closing the courtroom for "secret witness testimony" clearly shows that she is totally incompetent as a judge ...

So based on JSS's history of bad rulings and placating CMJA and her Defense Team, JSS should not be the ultimate decision maker of CMJA's sentence !

:please::please::please::please::please: that this jury gets it right this time ... NO WAY should JSS be allowed to hand down CMJA's sentence !

All JMO and :moo:

Something up in AZ. The Bryan Wayne Hulsey death penalty trial, which took precedence over this one, and prosecuted by Juan, took seven years to make it to trial. Seven years! Why? I've wondered if it has to do with a defense attorney training method that is not applied in other states. Or if the judges are just far more lenient in AZ, in general. Far as I've seen , EVERYTHING in this state takes twice as long to get done and the court hours are twice as short, maybe even less. Something is just...different.

Check DP case loads. I seem to remember that AZ's state attorneys seek the DP far more frequently than their counterparts elsewhere. Many cases=backlogs and delays.

MeeBee, I hope you're right. I have lost all confidence in this judge.

:seeya: Hi Luv, and nice to see ya here !

I have NEVER had confidence in this judge ... NEVER ... EVER !

JSS's incompetence clearly showed when she closed that courtroom down last Thursday ...

If it was for "national security" or the "mafia" or a "cartel" -- understandable ... But a witness for Jodi Arias, which witness might even be Jodi Arias herself ... :gaah:

JMO and :moo:

Thats the thing. We have lost all confidence and the Defense saw her weaknesses during the last trial.

It is totally obvious the defense is asking for all these special things because they know she is allowing it for them.
I am sure the Defense is literally laughing behind her back and they probably cannot believe it themselves that she has caved in to their unreasonable requests.

It really is sad to see that the judge has allowed this trial to become a circus. We really needed a strong judge that could put the hammer down. Yes, literally slam that gavel down and yell at them every now and then. :)

Respectfully Snipped and BBM: WOW ! Thank You, rose, for posting this !

Adding my :twocents:

And now we have it ... "something" regarding JSS' record as a "judge" ... pitiful !

This is WHY this Jury has got to deliver the DP ... the DP is what the Alexander Family and Juan want for CMJA !

I hope there is NO Zervakos on this jury because if there is, it will be hung and JSS will sentence the murderer ... and I have absolutely NO faith that JSS will sentence CMJA appropriately for the horrendous and cruel murder of Travis -- which at a minimum, should be LWOP.

JSS's recent ruling by closing the courtroom for "secret witness testimony" clearly shows that she is totally incompetent as a judge ...

So based on JSS's history of bad rulings and placating CMJA and her Defense Team, JSS should not be the ultimate decision maker of CMJA's sentence !

:please::please::please::please::please: that this jury gets it right this time ... NO WAY should JSS be allowed to hand down CMJA's sentence !

All JMO and :moo:

I agree with you, DGC. I've gone back and forth on this Judge but now I do agree with the unpopular opinion that she is not fit to preside over this trial. I actually looked at several cases last year and the majority of her sentences were neither harsh nor lenient. Let's hope she goes with LWOP in this case.

Check DP case loads. I seem to remember that AZ's state attorneys seek the DP far more frequently than their counterparts elsewhere. Many cases=backlogs and delays.

More than Texas, even? I find that hard to believe lol.

But some of these issues exist even in non DP cases.

Good morning everyone! I wanted to say thank you to Renee110, MeeBee, RadarLuv, wenwe4 and hindsight2020, and anyone I missed, for the hellos as all the info and links last night. I feel lucky to be a part of such a fantastic online community of cool people. You guys rock!

I wish I could follow this trial closely. Every time I try it's flying so fast I can't get a good sense of what's up. I'm so busy at work. But as to the secrecy of Judge Stephens, who I generally defend, boy! I think it's crazy. She likely fears appeal but this is draconian and unconstitutional. Whoever stated its like the secret trials of some dictatorship, like North Korea or whatever, is right. In the United States, we do not hold secret trials. I'm glad the media is taking a stand.

I also believe that first secret witness may have been LaViolette. But I haven't followed closely enought to say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea