Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 12/3 -12/04 In recess w/hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up, I can't believe another 6 day break. I guarantee you that is why TA family looked pissed off after the meeting.

Well, I sure do feel for the family; travel is not easy to manage and they have to feel like volleyballs about now with all the back and forth they've had to do.

Still, I hope that is the reason they were upset. Thinking of all the carp that has gone down in this trial I do not want to entertain the idea that some ruling (or whatever) has been made that they disagree with but have zero control over. And it was tweeted that the killer kept stealing glances at the sisters after they all came out of chambers--that scares me a little; if they were upset or angry and killer was shamelessly gawking at them, it could mean that once again something happened in killer's favor. Barf.

IANAL but I will try to answer your question . . .

If you receive a subpoena you are court ordered to show up and testify (and if it says Deusus Tecum (sic?)- that means bring all your paperwork with you)
If you don't show up you could be in contempt of court.

The judge could order you to testify and if you refuse they do have the power to put you in jail for a limited time

Not sure what could happen if Jodi refuses to testify - the Judge could find her in contempt and then Sheriff Joe gets to deal with sanctions maybe?

But that only applies if you are physically in the state in which the trial is being conducted. I think (and may be totally wrong)that the exception to that is for federal (as opposed to state) trials.

If these witnesses are as flaky as they sound, I can see them pleading the 5th, and probably with good reason. I wish we could confirm that subpoenas were issued.

Let them plead the 5th...if the jury has an ounce of brains among them they will know why.

Here, a summons comes by first class mail while a subpoena is hand-delivered by a sheriff deputy. But that could be 'cause in this area of the world anything sent via FedEx takes the scenic route to your door.

The same here except it is by a Constable instead of a deputy.

If the tweets from the court today were anywhere near accurate, Dr. F's demeanor on the stand had to have really struck the jury. It is one thing for a prosecutor to be aggressive, it is an entirely different thing for a witness, an expert no less, to be recalcitrant, sarcastic, evasive, non-responsive, etc. By all accounts from the courthouse, there was a marked difference in her conduct and demeanor when questioned by the defense vs. the prosecution. This was not lost on the jury. The big question is how much of her message stuck, especially with some of the repetition. The big one that stood out for me, as far as damage for the State, was "master manipulator".

It was very difficult following the tweets today trying to maintain my composure. I so wanted JSS to get things under control. I was astounded that she let this witness turn to the jury and then told them not to get distracted by Martinez style. Eek!

Ugly, ugly day in court. As long as the State's experts are professional on the stand, I think he will be able to undo any damage that may have been done.

Aside...from the last thread...Jodi Arias, as a defendant, cannot be subpoenaed to testify. There was talk on the other thread that Martinez had subpoenaed her, and this would not, could not be true. If she has already taken the stand, the judge can compel her to resume the stand. Otherwise, a defendant has the option to take the stand, but cannot be compelled to do so.

She can refuse to testify, that is her right. But I don't believe she can refuse to be cross examined on things she has ALREADY testified to even if in secret (remember it was not secret to the jury.) I think it might work like this.... Let's say that JA testified in her star chamber and only got to the point of her first meeting with Travis.. She didn't continue because of the COA issue. So I think that she would be compelled to take the stand to be cross examined to at the very least to information up to the time they met. Then it would up to her not to testify any further on direct and no cross could be done because cross is only done on stuff that entered the record on direct.

Does that make any sense?

Thats interesting. I have heard of them and never knew what they were. LOL

I would hate to have that job because I am sure they run into very upset people when they try to deliver them the papers. Especially in divorce situations where they may be expecting something and heard it was coming from their own lawyer.

OT: You reminded me of something I once saw.

I was in a left hand turn lane next to me was a van with a man and woman. A pickup pulled up behind me at the light and a man jumped out of the pickup, ran over to the man in the van next to me asked him if he was John Doe, the man replied "yes" with a very confused look. The man from the pickup pushed an envelope through the window of the van and said "John Doe, you have been served!", then he ran back to his pickup just in time for the light to change. We left turners got to go on the light, while the van was stuck in the traffic lane from which you could hear screaming obscenities. I thought that process server was pretty ingenious!

Monica tweeted this earlier:
Monica Lindstrom @monicalindstrom 3h3 hours ago

Excused Juror #3: said she has no opinion about JA; she can form her own opinion about what mental health pros say. Her boyfriend is a crim defense atty that she doesn’t discuss cases with. integrity is big issue to her#jodiArias

I read many posts speculating she was kicked off because of a juror question. I don't believe this juror would have compromised/jeopardized her position, unless she wanted out, begs the question, why was she let go? But anything is possible, the secrecy in this trial is beyond frustrating.

Fibber McGee from N.Z. can't be brought back by subpoena if he returned home but, as I posted yesterday, Juan Martinez traveled to Sacramento to interview him two months ago. He has that deposition. The former co-worker is subject to subpoena and so is "the long time boyfriend" if Darryl should not want to testify voluntarily. Our prosecutor is well armed, yes?

Guys.....there is no confirmation yet that JM actually subpoenaed witnesses. Not a peep over on Justice4Travis page, and they usually are the 1st to report.

Mdee ‏@EmsterD70 4m4 minutes ago
It was a very well known reporter/attorney who told us about JUANs subpoenas. #jodiarias

We'll soon know if this is true.

If the tweets from the court today were anywhere near accurate, Dr. F's demeanor on the stand had to have really struck the jury. It is one thing for a prosecutor to be aggressive, it is an entirely different thing for a witness, an expert no less, to be recalcitrant, sarcastic, evasive, non-responsive, etc. By all accounts from the courthouse, there was a marked difference in her conduct and demeanor when questioned by the defense vs. the prosecution. This was not lost on the jury. The big question is how much of her message stuck, especially with some of the repetition. The big one that stood out for me, as far as damage for the State, was "master manipulator".

It was very difficult following the tweets today trying to maintain my composure. I so wanted JSS to get things under control. I was astounded that she let this witness turn to the jury and then told them not to get distracted by Martinez style. Eek!

Ugly, ugly day in court. As long as the State's experts are professional on the stand, I think he will be able to undo any damage that may have been done.

Aside...from the last thread...Jodi Arias, as a defendant, cannot be subpoenaed to testify. There was talk on the other thread that Martinez had subpoenaed her, and this would not, could not be true. If she has already taken the stand, the judge can compel her to resume the stand. Otherwise, a defendant has the option to take the stand, but cannot be compelled to do so.

Re BBM

I was astounded too that JSS did not make any attempts to stop the witness from saying some of the unacceptable things she was saying about Juan. And then when she started to give jury instructions to them....WOW.

One of the biggest things that bothers me is JSS shows no compassion for the jury's time and service as she allows all these delays. Unless we are missing tweets about it, we have not ever heard JSS apologize to the jurors for any of the delays or even thank them daily for their time and effort.

It seems she just tosses the jury around like she owns them and it just does not seem right. There have been other cases I have watched where the judge was very cognizant of the juries service to the court and the judge thanked them almost daily and would apologize to them for things that happened that were not of the norm.
In this trial, that sort of thing seems lacking.

Guys.....there is no confirmation yet that JM actually subpoenaed witnesses. Not a peep over on Justice4Travis page, and they usually are the 1st to report.

Who reported it? Give a shout out to them asking for more info.

Yes, Dr. M-F seemed straight up dishonest today from the Twitter descriptions. I just finished listening to Beth Karas' report and BK says that she thought Juan did a great job with her.

The jury must have picked up on her Dr. M-F/M-F-Dogg personality conflict.

What do you guys think of the juror questions?

Re BBM

I was astounded too that JSS did not make any attempts to stop the witness from saying some of the unacceptable things she was saying about Juan. And then when she started to give jury instructions to them....WOW.

One of the biggest things that bothers me is JSS shows no compassion for the jury's time and service as she allows all these delays. Unless we are missing tweets about it, we have not ever heard JSS apologize to the jurors for any of the delays or even thank them daily for their time and effort.

It seems she just tosses the jury around like she owns them and it just does not seem right. There have been other cases I have watched where the judge was very cognizant of the juries service to the court and the judge thanked them almost daily and would apologize to them for things that happened that were not of the norm.
In this trial, that sort of thing seems lacking.

You raised an interesting point. Maybe JSS did actually say something once or twice...but it was not tweeted.

I would think that to be important but when I see what some of the tweets are about I cringe. I have no doubt we are missing a lot of stuff with trial by tweet.

SUPER dork question --- when you get subpoewhatevers, what happens? Do you HAVE to go? If you do go, do you HAVE to answer and if you refuse you to to the slammer, right?

I'm sure others have answered this but I haven't read ahead yet so sorry if this is redundant. I was subpoenaed once for a murder trial due to my old job. It was shocking to me because I hadn't worked at the place in a year and it was the defense that subpoenaed me. The lawyers investigator came to the house while I wasn't there and gave the subpoena to my brother as I was fresh out of college and still living at home. As soon as I got it, i immediately called them and asked why I was subpoenaed and they told me why and then it made sense, I ended up not having to testify but i didn't sleep for three weeks leading up to the date. The lawyer called me the night before I was to testify and said I wouldn't be needed. I have testified in court many times due to my old job but this was the first time i was ever subpoenaed. I would imagine if Juan is subpoenaing ja's mitigation witnesses they are prob all freaking out right now. I was freaking out and I had nothing to hide and would have been testifying in a professional capacity.

The rumor about JM & witnesses is untrue! Sorry to say. Take a peep on JM's support FB page.

The tweeter overheard a Beth Karas interview about JM's motion rejecting dismissal of the DP. She misheard then misreported. :(

The rumor is untrue! Sorry to say. Take a peep on JM's support FB page.

The tweeter over a Beth Karas interview about JM's motion. Misheard, misreported. :(

Darn! Oh well, hopefully Arias' supporters spread the rumour to Nurmi and had him changing his Depends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname