RIP Elizabeth Edwards cancer returns. UPDATE- Passed away 12-7-10

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure doesn't sound good right now... hot spot on her hip, possible activity in her lungs, broken rib. I pray she has many more years to live actively and comfortably.

I'm with you, but it already sounds like life is not normal. How did she break her rib? Was it something "normal" like an accident or was it something scary like just being hugged too hard? If they think the chemo is too risky, then I think I'd be spending time with my kids, not the flippin' Secret Service.

I think as long as Elizabeth is feeling good and continuing to campaign is what they decided to do then do it. I will pray for their strength and her recovery.

I can't believe there are three of us on this short thread affected by multiple myeloma, Missouri Mule's mom, Peter Hamilton's father and my husband. I guess it's not such a rare cancer, eh? Unlike the parents of the other two posters, my husband is doing well. We made the same decision the Edwards' did - continue a normal life for as long as possible and take advantage of modern medicine. It's been like that for 8 years and still normal. I know that we're very, very lucky - we have great insurance and a strong support system.
--really glad to hear your husband is doing well with MM--It is still relatively rare,I think about 15,000 cases a year--For some strange reason,blacks make up about 40% of the cases--nobody knows why

--really glad to hear your husband is doing well with MM--It is still relatively rare,I think about 15,000 cases a year--For some strange reason,blacks make up about 40% of the cases--nobody knows why
Those on our MM online support group seem to be pretty evenly split between male and female, but I have no idea how race plays into it. I have noticed that more people are diagnosed at a younger age - my husband was 40 and he presented with back pain as so many do. He thought it was pneumonia.His doctor noticed his blood was very thick and ordered more tests. Thank God he did or who knows what might have happened. It wasn't caught early ~ his IgG was over 10,000 (normal is about 1,200)! He just responded well to the first treatment and the drug aredia helped stop further bone damage. In fact, in 8 years, there has been no further bone damage, although there was quite a bit at diagnosis. I wonder if aredia would help Elizabeth Edwards or perhaps it would be of no help to bones involved with metastasized breast cancer cells? It is the wonder drug for MM for sure. Did your father get aredia, Peter? Just wondering, not trying to be nosy.

I'm with you, but it already sounds like life is not normal. How did she break her rib? Was it something "normal" like an accident or was it something scary like just being hugged too hard? If they think the chemo is too risky, then I think I'd be spending time with my kids, not the flippin' Secret Service.
She had tried to lift something in storage while moving into their new house because (in her words) she was impatient and wanted to get the item without bothering anyone else. She wrenched her back. When John came home he gave her a big hug and she twisted to make herself more comfortable because of her back twinge. When she twisted they heard a cracking sound and she felt a pain in her side. She had cracked her rib. That's why she initially went to the doctor - to have the rib looked at. When they did the x-ray for the rib on her left side they saw a small spot on her right side, thus the small growth on her bone.

I've been reading tonight that Elizabeth got good news and bad news this week - the good is that she doesn't have an aggressive form (triple-negative), as feared, but does have the estrogen/progesterine sensitive type.

So she will be taking Femara, an anti-estrogen drug.

If you want to find out your own individual risk for breast cancer, google the "Gail Model Risk Assesment Tool". Take the test, there are only about 5 questions to answer , such as how many in your family have had breast cancer, what age you had you first child, etc.

I've been reading tonight that Elizabeth got good news and bad news this week - the good is that she doesn't have an aggressive form (triple-negative), as feared, but does have the estrogen/progesterine sensitive type.

So she will be taking Femara, an anti-estrogen drug.

If you want to find out your own individual risk for breast cancer, google the "Gail Model Risk Assesment Tool". Take the test, there are only about 5 questions to answer , such as how many in your family have had breast cancer, what age you had you first child, etc.

What makes the estrogen/progesterine sensitive type bad? I know very little about bone cancer.

How good is the good news, or is it cancelled out by the bad?

Prayers and healing wishes to Elizabeth Edwards and her family.

I have been following this case as close as I can.I am soooo sad to hear of her cancer.I pray for her and for John to make the right decision. I like John Edwards and I would vote for him in a heartbeat.God please help them,not just for the election~for their beautiful life and outlook.Thank you Marthatex for the latest news.

Martha-
Thank you for posting the information about the risk assessment tool. Here's the link for quick reference. I just completed the questions and it took less than a minute:

http://www.cancer.gov/bcrisktool/

Thanks for posting the link, IM; I was lazy last night.

I think I found I had a 2.4% risk for the next 5 year; more than average; I suppose that is because my mother had BC.

I think one thing to learn is that Elizabeth Edwards (I read part of her book in a magazine); was so busy she neglected to have her yearly mammograms or her monthly self-exams.

Just popping in here because of my interest in Elizabeth Edwards
and her husband.

Watched John on C Span last night, Elizabeth introduced him to the
audience in New Hampshire. She looked exhausted, and John was
losing his voice toward the end. They both are so tired, but full of
spirit. They both are showing the weary results of 'hitting' the campaign
trail.

God bless them both and all who go through Cancer in all of its forms.

Elizabeth Edwards is on Larry King tonight--She has lost SO much weight--really hard to see this--but I still have hope she's gonna beat this

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...treatment-releases-statement/?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

6 Dec 2010

Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

more at link

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...treatment-releases-statement/?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

6 Dec 2010

Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

more at link

Thank you for this update

God Bless her & her children, may they be comforted.

6 Dec 2010

more at link

I hate to hear this. She has been stronger and braver than I would ever be. I would curl up and cry and give up. I also hate that the last few years of her life have been so challenging. God bless her and her family.

She has handled her cancer with such grace. She was on Nate's show this past week and I thought she looked very sick. May God be with her and her family.

God Bless and prayers sent out if this news means the last of Elizabeths days.

She has been a true lady in light of facing cancer and choosing to stay true to her marriage vows after all she has had to endure.

God Bless you Elizabeth. May you find peace and comfort knowing your example of bravery and balance has been heard. May you and those you love be comforted by your example.

This wonderful lady has more grace in her pinky than I'll ever have in my whole body. I can't even imagine going through what she is, and reacting in such a positive, loving, affirmative way. My heart breaks for her, as well as her children, and those who love her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back