RU - Putin foes, feminist punk band Pussy Riot, jailed for 6 months after protest

People associated with the Russian Orthodox Church have the right to support any candidate they choose.

The Russian Orthodox Church has been an important part of Russian culture since the days of the Byzantine empire. You are faulting the people of the modern-day Church based on political support it offered to the czars back prior to 1917. Do you also feel that today’s Roman Catholics deserve to be harassed for their church's support of the European monarchs?

The Bolsheviks and later Soviet leadership wanted to obliterate nationalism, and they saw religion as a vehicle of nationalism; however, they didn't hesitate to take advantage of religion and nationalism themselves when it proved expedient.

The Pussy Rioters are apparently protesting Russian nationalism. And, their supporters are globalists.
A worthy thing, protesting nationalism of any sort, as nationalism attracts repression like sh/t attracts flies.

I'm not faulting the congregants of the ROC. I'm faulting the leadership of the ROC.

"An important part of Russian culture," yes, along with brutal regimes and barbarous policies. Attractive iconography, though.

Pussy Riot member condemns Putin's Russia ahead of court verdict (Guardian)
Nadezhda Tolokonnikova says feminist punk band's predicament
shows how freedom is being taken away from all Russians

---
"I hold no spite," Nadezhda Tolokonnikova wrote in a letter to supporters (in Russian) passed to one of her lawyers. "I have no private spite. But I have political spite.

"Our being in jail is a clear and distinct sign that freedom is being taken away from the whole country," she wrote. "And this threat of destruction of the liberating, emancipatory forces of Russia is what makes me angry."
---
more at the link

Gulag 2012:

Pussy Riot sentenced to two years in prison colony for hooliganism (Guardian)
Three members of the feminist punk band Pussy Riot have been found guilty of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred and sentenced to two years in a prison colony.

Maria Alyokhina, 24, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 29, were handed the sentence by a judge in Moscow amid a wave of protests around the world.

The three stared ahead defiantly from inside a glass cage, their wrists shackled in handcuffs, as the verdict was read.
---
"Whatever Putin wants, Putin gets. That is the only thing to say," Tolokonnikova's husband, Pyotr Verzilov, said on leaving the court.
---
more at the link

Chess Grandmaster Garry Kasparov Arrested, Allegedly Beaten Outside Pussy Riot Trial (Deadspin)
---
The Facebook page asserts Kasparov was there simply to observe the punk collective trial and not to protest. Then again, Kasparov is the same guy who said Vladimir Putin was "just like Al Capone." Say what you want about secret police beatings; you know we're in the post-Soviet era when chess grandmasters are granted a phone call.
---
more at the link, with a Sky News video of the arrest

Pussy Riot Trial: Feminist Punk Band Guilty Of Hooliganism, Motivated By Religious Hatred

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...=maing-grid7|main5|dl11|sec1_lnk3&pLid=193655

The judge relied extensively on the testimony of church laymen, who said they were offended and shocked by the band's stunt. "The actions of the defendants reflected their hatred of religion," Syrova said in the verdict.

She also said that the defendants' feminist views challenged church doctrine.

Pussy Riot was NOT motivated by religious hatred, actually, to the contrary. Their punk prayer was a plea to the Virgin Mary for the church to distance itself from Putin.

Putin's got to keep them little wimins in their place. What a he is.

I support Pussy Riot. May their time pass quickly in jail.

Obama, U.S. 'disappointed' by Russia band verdict (AP)
---
White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Friday, "The United States is disappointed by the verdict, including the disproportionate sentences that were granted."

While the group's behavior was offensive to some, Earnest said, the Obama administration has "serious concerns about the way that these young women have been treated by the Russian judicial system."
---

Pussy Riot release new single Putin Lights Up the Fires - video (Guardian)
Exclusive: Pussy Riot, the feminist Russian punk band from which three members were found guilty of hooliganism driven by religious hatred and sentenced to two years in jail, have released a new single called Putin Lights Up the Fires. The Guardian has edited the new song to a montage of Pussy Riot members and their supporters.

Dept of WTH indeed. Kasparov, blast from the past there. Glad to see that someone got photos and at least some video of the beating,so word gets out and it can't be covered up.

All this is sounding a bit too Soviet for my liking. Then again, we have plenty of our problems with corrupt law enforcement and justice system, not to mention police brutality.

I wish these women peace and justice... I wish there were something we could do. :(

Indeed, the modern Roman Catholic church should be protested if and when it attempts to interfere with the political process, or worm it's way in to government too much. Although we in the US don't have our own equivalent of Pussy Riot, we do have plenty of vocal citizens who speak out against the church when necessary (most recent example being when it tries to influence health care legislation, and coverage of birth control and abortion).

Same for the fundamentalist Protestant groups (religious right).

Luckily for all of us, the catholic Church seems to have (mostly) learned from history about what happens when the church and state are too closely intertwined,and these days usually limits itself to lobbying efforts. The church as a rule does not endorse candidates, but will criticize policy proposals (birth control coverage, the Ryan budget, for examples). The Russian Orthodox church, on the other hand, sounds like it is much more "in bed" with Putin and his government than the Catholic Church is anywhere, these days. plenty there to protest and criticize.

Some public policy decisions have a moral dimension, and churches should have a right to discuss or teach about the issues.

If the churches take a left-wing view, they are given a free pass to influence all they like; but if they take a right-wing view, the left gets hysterical.

Can you list any recent grievances against the Russian Orthodox Church? One thing that makes me suspicious is the we are told repeatedly that the women were making a political protest but given no clue what the specific issues were.

I'm sure they'll be quaking in their balaclavas.

Was a threat made? Only said that many people are searching for information about the possible funding sources of Pussy Riot. Or is it the same difference?

Was a threat made? Only said that many people are searching for information about the possible funding sources of Pussy Riot. Or is it the same difference?
I'm sure they'll be quaking in their balaclavas.

A worthy thing, protesting nationalism of any sort, as nationalism attracts repression like sh/t attracts flies.

I'm not faulting the congregants of the ROC. I'm faulting the leadership of the ROC.

"An important part of Russian culture," yes, along with brutal regimes and barbarous policies. Attractive iconography, though.

Are you kidding? Is any system possibly more repressive than globalism?

And, you never answered my question: should today's Roman Catholics be harassed because the Church anciently supported certain European monarchs? (We could also ask an analogous question about Protestants). More generally, should today's people be in any way held accountable for injustices that occurred in different centuries?

Pussy Riot Trial: Feminist Punk Band Guilty Of Hooliganism, Motivated By Religious Hatred

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...=maing-grid7|main5|dl11|sec1_lnk3&pLid=193655

Pussy Riot was NOT motivated by religious hatred, actually, to the contrary. Their punk prayer was a plea to the Virgin Mary for the church to distance itself from Putin.

Putin's got to keep them little wimins in their place. What a he is.

I support Pussy Riot. May their time pass quickly in jail.

What are the exact grievances against Putin that motivated their protest?

We should not get involved in the internal affairs of other nations.

The US also gives out draconian sentences to anyone convicted of a crime that supposedly was motivated by "hate." In many instances, these sentences are unfair. Maybe we aren't used to seeing a Christian church being considered as a "hate" victim, but we have to make allowances for different cultures.

Political repression is hiding behind religion. What a great way to challenge this antiquated mentality than to say a loud, public prayer. Change doesn't come unless the status quo is challenged.

Dept of WTH indeed. Kasparov, blast from the past there. Glad to see that someone got photos and at least some video of the beating,so word gets out and it can't be covered up.

All this is sounding a bit too Soviet for my liking. Then again, we have plenty of our problems with corrupt law enforcement and justice system, not to mention police brutality.

I wish these women peace and justice... I wish there were something we could do. :(

Minding our own business might be the best thing that we can do.

After all, consider our own "Declaration of Independence." The document clearly states that "all men are created equal." Note that it says "all men" not just all Americans. If foreigners are our equals, they should be able to figure things out for themselves without our intervention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back