SA peremptory challenge denied

What happened the way I see it is that Mr. Aston knew pretty early on he was going to use his strike based on this woman coming out right away in the first segment by saying she cannot judge others. So he didn't waste the court's time by pushing the questioning.

The judge was in a tight spot because he had to rule on a racial issue which could have thrown the case based on Mr. Baez's complaint since the early hours of jury selection, about the lack of minorities in the jury pool.

While I think Mr. Aston had a reason to use this strike I also am not the least bit surprised that Mr. Baez pulled the race card.

I would guess you will see this lady assigned to an alternate seat. Judge Perry just threw some cold water on a hot fire MOO.

For those of you who have now listened to this lady's interview- are you saying you think she has the breadth of understanding that she could consider 8 weeks worth of evidence at the end of that time, some of it highly technical and Scientific and render a verdict based on that evidence?
None of us were aware of her ethnicity but even so after a fair time of listening everyone was saying, please NO send this lady home - it was like pulling teeth trying to get a simple answer. I just don't see this decision being correct and I particularly did not like the way HHJP did it.

I truly think once she hears all the evidence, see the photo's of Caylee's remains and hears all of ICA's lies, I have faith she will do the right thing.

Respectfully, BBM.

Yes, that it what happened. She was rehabilitated. Other PJs had been rehabilitated, too, and were not struck. Therefore, why should she. Judge refused to allow it.

When this lady hears all of the evidence she may just surprise everyone and be one of the first to utter the word "Guilty".
Don't let her quiet innocence under estimate what could explode inside her after she knows the facts.

But I thought each side got 10 strikes, without having to necessarily give a reason. So if it was NOT based on race, why is it not allowed? What am I not understanding?
And, will the SA have a chance to appeal this, if it was understood by JP to be for a reason they did not intend?

GMTA I have the exact same questions...

Welcome to WS, I look forward to your posts and insight!!

IF Casey gets a mistrial........................ People EVERYWHERE will be having a WTF moment.

IMHO It'll never happen,remember this is Casey Marie Anthony we are talking about :twocents:

No, he was not calling JA a racist. IMHO. In essence he told him he should have question the PJ "MORE" to establish what he was saying. CM brought up the race card,and based on the two situations. CM won. JMHO With all due respect. :twocents:

CM alleged JA's decision was racially motivated and HHJP agreed!
Did you see how instantly angry he was when JA got up to explain his position?
He cut him off and would not listen, he said that's my rule and I'm not going to argue! JA was rightfully outraged but sat down.
Had that been CM or JB complaining he would have spent time searching for the answers, not dismissing JA as racist out of hand.
It was very very disillusioning for me to watch that.

She did not have good comprehension and that should have been another reason that Mr. Aston gave. He didn't. I think he was shocked and couldn't pull together more reasons. He had made his mind up about her saying she couldn't judge other people.

Let's just say that HHJP goes home and thinks about the decision he made to keep the juror in question and he decides he made a mistake... would he be able to reverse his decision? I remember he approved the decomp evidence, and then later admitted he had some "uneasiness" about it... but of course, felt better after the 400 some chemicals were provided to the defense. Just wondering if he could change his ruling about this juror (not saying he will, however).

Does anyone know what the 3rd round of questioning will consist of? I really hope this juror in question can eventually be stricken. Mistrial/hung jury waiting to happen, IMO.

I'm very disappointed that HHJP seemed to imply that JA is a racist. JMO

I truly think once she hears all the evidence, see the photo's of Caylee's remains and hears all of ICA's lies, I have faith she will do the right thing.

I agree with you, she might "think" she's guilty but IMO this woman is going to have difficulties actually saying she's guilty in a court of law. She doesn't believe that is up to her.

I also thinks JB and CM will have her eating right out of their hand. She had a better rapport with the DT than the SA.

What happened the way I see it is that Mr. Aston knew pretty early on he was going to use his strike based on this woman coming out right away in the first segment by saying she cannot judge others. So he didn't waste the court's time by pushing the questioning.

The judge was in a tight spot because he had to rule on a racial issue which could have thrown the case based on Mr. Baez's complaint since the early hours of jury selection, about the lack of minorities in the jury pool.

While I think Mr. Aston had a reason to use this strike I also am not the least bit surprised that Mr. Baez pulled the race card.

I would guess you will see this lady assigned to an alternate seat. Judge Perry just threw some cold water on a hot fire MOO.

Ah HA!!!!!!!!!!! Good thinking!!!!!!!!! I hope you are right. I just have an uneasy feeling that it's like they are trying to talk the juror's INTO this, KWIM? I almost sense desperation in trying to seat a jury quickly, almost like WE ARE STARTING TUESDAY period. IDK.......

I agree. I think she is a very conservative, religious, kind hearted soul. She may not understand what Dr Vass and some of the experts will testify to. But she will understand the bottom line. And she will know Right from Wrong. And she will detest the way Casey acted during the 31 days. imoo

CM alleged JA's decision was racially motivated and HHJP agreed!
Did you see how instantly angry he was when JA got up to explain his position?
He cut him off and would not listen, he said that's my rule and I'm not going to argue! JA was rightfully outraged but sat down.
Had that been CM or JB complaining he would have spent time searching for the answers, not dismissing JA as racist out of hand.
It was very very disillusioning for me to watch that.

Do you really believe JA is a racist? I DO NOT. I agree with some parts of your post,but I think JA could have "question this PJ more throughly" he knew the D/T was looking for minority players,this was the time, to be on guard and IMHO CM trumped him.If you notice JP was reading a book when he gave his ruling. JMHO again with all due respect.

Link Please? the one listed above is not for this juror but the one from the first lady in the am...

Respectfully, BBM.

Yes, that it what happened. She was rehabilitated. Other PJs had been rehabilitated, too, and were not struck. Therefore, why should she. Judge refused to allow it.

I don't understand why the State didn't seek to strike for cause in the first place. This, with respect, makes them look racist and there was absolutely no need for it.

Turning to the quoted comment, I have to agree with it. I am not particularly impressed by the manner in which JP has "rehabilitated" jurors (I don't know if this is the common way it is done in the US). This is a long post so be prepared!

If Jurors make comments during Voir Dire which tends to indicate an issue with them being able to sit on the jury then it seems insufficient and fanciful to simply have the judge read of some spiel, say "do you agree", and pronounce them "rehabilitated".

To use an analogy from cross-examination it would be like someone being "trapped" in a lie or making an admission harmful to the case of the party calling them and then having the party who called them say, during re-examination, "did you actually mean X, Y or Z" and pronouncing that the "admission" must have been a mistake. It is absurd.

Even although I am opposed to capital punishment I did have a lot of respect for HHJP as a jurist. He came across as a man of principle and a judge of skill and intellect. However, I am becoming more and more convinced that his current goal is to save as much expense and time in picking a jury no matter the consequences. In attempting to reach this goal he seems to be prepared to dispense with the requirement for ICA to have a fair trial and an impartial jury (which requires time and cost unfortunately in a case such as this!) to the fullest extent that he thinks he can without being overturned on appeal.

A key example: Notwithstanding comments that a jury properly selected would take 30 days or such like in this case he wants to do so in about a week.

However, turning back to the topic of the quoted post, if prosecution-friendly witnesses are to be kept after this so-called "rehabilitation" then it is only fair that jurors thought to be defense-friendly are kept after similar questioning by the judge.

As always JMO :D

I am not sure the juror can be selected as an alternate but maybe? I've heard two different things.

1) The jury panel is picked and the alternates are randomly chosen. (this would allow for the possibility)

2) The alternates are the ones selected after the first 12 are seated (if this is right, the juror is not going to be an alternate)

Anyone know which scenario we are looking at? Either of these or another one?

Do you really believe JA is a racist? I DO NOT. I agree with some parts of your post,but I think JA could have "question this PJ more throughly" he knew the D/T was looking for minority players,this was the time, to be on guard and IMHO CM trumped him.If you notice JP was reading a book when he gave his ruling. JMHO again with all due respect.

Maybe he was really excited because Harry was about to catch the snitch!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back