Sacred White Buffalo murdered

I was led to believe through MSM, and interaction with knowledgeable folks, that a true "sacred" white buffalo was one that stayed white, NOT one that changed color. Is that true, or does truth change with the times?

I hope they find these creeps and beat them to bloody pulps. Sorry, this angers me.

I was led to believe through MSM, and interaction with knowledgeable folks, that a true "sacred" white buffalo was one that stayed white, NOT one that changed color. Is that true, or does truth change with the times?

But even if other white buffalo have been born in modern times, Miracle holds special significance for Native Americans. She's female, and the bull that sired her died, just as in the prophesy. And, while recent visitors to the Heider farm are sometimes disappointed that the calf's head has turned brown and its body is now a silvery tan, versions of the prophesy state that the white buffalo calf would change colors four times, thus signifying the colors of the four peoples she would unify: black, red, yellow, and white.

http://whitebuffalomiracle.homestead.com/Press_MiracleBuffaloBirth.html

[video=youtube;PHqVdZmpRgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqVdZmpRgI[/video]

I don't want to debate the issue of should we not kill animals for food as I don't think that was the intent here. I think this was a deliberate - insulting - and biased act. I am not an American Indian but from everything I have read and seen, they honor the soul of animals born and killed and thank their provider for ever being blessed with it. It matters not to me that this buffalo was starting to change color, whether is turned red or blue - the intent was to destroy something that was honored by many - then the perp went back and killed the mother. Nothing to do with eating meat in my estimation. JMHO.

leanaí;7890819 said:
So does murdering animals for food count? Or do we just let that go since cows taste so damn good?

Only reason most people care about this poor little guy being murdered is because he was rare and special to the Lakotas. How very sad that is.

Seriously??? Come on now.

:banghead:

I don't want to debate the issue of should we not kill animals for food as I don't think that was the intent here. I think this was a deliberate - insulting - and biased act. I am not an American Indian but from everything I have read and seen, they honor the soul of animals born and killed and thank their provider for ever being blessed with it. It matters not to me that this buffalo was starting to change color, whether is turned red or blue - the intent was to destroy something that was honored by many - then the perp went back and killed the mother. Nothing to do with eating meat in my estimation. JMHO.

Exactly. Well-put. My thoughts exactly.

I was reading that, too, Jacie, that he had to be targeted...at this point he was just a lovely light brown, so someone had to know who and what he was, and his importance. I had tears looking at the beautiful pics of him, and of the naming ceremony. I wonder if this could be classified as a hate crime, in addition to any animal cruelty charges etc.? After all, if someone desecrates items in a church or synagogue or mosque, I would think those are hate crimes, aren't they? I see no difference here with this poor little guy.

Gawd the world sucks sometimes. Way to go, guys, you killed a sacred being! All I can picture is some nihilistic young guys doing this because they themselves are just empty of anything meaningful or spiritual. Ughhh. :furious:

After reading this I wonder if this wasn't indeed a hate crime. Someone targeted this animal to deliberately demean Native American religious beliefs.
So much evil is done in the name of God..

Why should the people who did this be punished at all when the same thing, if not worse, is done to countless animals every day in slaughter houses? Because it was a biased act towards a tribe? So now it has nothing to do with this life that was lost only with the people that are now affected by it.

I am not posting to debate about eating animals, I am posting because I hate it when people complain about animal abuse then go out and eat a nice juicy burger. But now that I see the real reason most people in this thread care is because it was against the tribe and not for the animal I have no complaints, only to those who scream animal murder yet still eat them anyways.

leanaí;7891941 said:
Why should the people who did this be punished at all when the same thing, if not worse, is done to countless animals every day in slaughter houses? Because it was a biased act towards a tribe? So now it has nothing to do with this life that was lost only with the people that are now affected by it.

I am not posting to debate about eating animals, I am posting because I hate it when people complain about animal abuse then go out and eat a nice juicy burger. But now that I see the real reason most people in this thread care is because it was against the tribe and not for the animal I have no complaints, only to those who scream animal murder yet still eat them anyways.

leanai, I can't speak for others on the thread, just for my self; I believe that when something is not known or is not clear to others it is best to share knowledge. It is not just about against the tribe but it is about the killing of this animal. White buffalo calves, as well as all living things, are sacred to Indians. We are all part of the Circle, the 2 legged, the 4 legged, the winged and those who move on the earth. We are all part of the whole, what happens to one happens to all, as we see in species that are disappearing through declining biodiversity, and the ramifications of those losses.

In Indian culture, when an animal is hunted/used for food, prayer is offered and thanks is given for the animal's offering to the people, even with buffalo raised by Indians, on ranches, for food. This is ceremony; what was done to this white buffalo in Texas was not done from gratitude or ceremony. It was done from a place of darkness, anger and hatred. There is a big difference.

I do understand your position, I was vegan for a large part of my life but it isn't right for me now. The murder of this buffalo is not the same as 'meat is murder'; those who committed this did so from a place of malice.

Mitakuye Oyasin

leanaí;7891941 said:

Leanai, thanks for clarifying.

I agree with you, slaughterhouses can be as bad and worse than what was done to Lightning Medicine Cloud. This is why I avoid store bought animal products, and most meat, though I will occasionally buy from local farmers who raise and butcher their meat responsibly, and gather eggs from free range poultry, and whose methods are all done with respect for the animals. This is too expensive to do with much regularity though, so... It doesnt happen often. Mostly we are meat free. FWIW.

But I just want to point out that one can be upset about BOTH things - the vicious treatment of animals in slaughterhouses, as well as the vicious death of LMC as an animal, AS WELL AS also being upset at what looks to be a deliberate targeting of something (in this case, LMC) held sacred by a religious/cultural group. It's a case of "both/and", not "either/or" here.

If you or anyone else wants to start a separate thread somewhere about animal cruelty in slaughterhouses, animal cruelty in factory farming, the beef industry, etc, etc, I will be glad to join you there in support, as I'm sure many others would as well. But this thread is specifically about the killing of Lightning Medicine Cloud and his Mama, so we probably should keep from derailing further.

leanaí;7891941 said:

BBM

Well we can't stop living our lives just because animals are killed and mistreated on a daily basis. Some of us don't agree with it. But I don't see what that has to do with this situation. I think I have every right to be mortified by this killing. Just because other animals are killed everywhere, that means this can't be upsetting to us?

I don't understand your reasoning, I really don't. It's kind of offensive, actually, to suggest that we don't care about animals or their treatment just because we eat them or we aren't out there every second of the day campaigning for better treatment. We simply cannot fix every injustice in this world. It's not possible.

I would also like to point out that there are people who eat meat but are respectful and thankful to those animals who gave their lives to feed us. It doesn't mean we don't care about their death or their treatment when they were alive.

leanai, I can't speak for others on the thread, just for my self; I believe that when something is not known or is not clear to others it is best to share knowledge. It is not just about against the tribe but it is about the killing of this animal. White buffalo calves, as well as all living things, are sacred to Indians. We are all part of the Circle, the 2 legged, the 4 legged, the winged and those who move on the earth. We are all part of the whole, what happens to one happens to all, as we see in species that are disappearing through declining biodiversity, and the ramifications of those losses.

In Indian culture, when an animal is hunted/used for food, prayer is offered and thanks is given for the animal's offering to the people, even with buffalo raised by Indians, on ranches, for food. This is ceremony; what was done to this white buffalo in Texas was not done from gratitude or ceremony. It was done from a place of darkness, anger and hatred. There is a big difference.

I do understand your position, I was vegan for a large part of my life but it isn't right for me now. The murder of this buffalo is not the same as 'meat is murder'; those who committed this did so from a place of malice.

Mitakuye Oyasin

GREAT post!!!!!! :clap: Thank you!

After reading this I wonder if this wasn't indeed a hate crime. Someone targeted this animal to deliberately demean Native American religious beliefs.
So much evil is done in the name of God..

I agree. But not 'of God' but of evil. God is not the author of evil no matter if people say they are doing something in God's name.

That someone would target these animals to protest other's beliefs makes me sick. Do they have any idea who did this?

I agree. But not 'of God' but of evil. God is not the author of evil no matter if people say they are doing something in God's name.

That someone would target these animals to protest other's beliefs makes me sick. Do they have any idea who did this?

BBM If they find the hide they can link it to the remains by DNA and then establish who had the hide.

I would also like to point out that there are people who eat meat but are respectful and thankful to those animals who gave their lives to feed us. It doesn't mean we don't care about their death or their treatment when they were alive.

This is a good way of looking at it. Still, ever since I saw how the cows are herded into those gates --- whaaa.
The subject bothers me even though intellectually I know beef is a food source - a good source of portein - but when I think of the actual cows then I'm bothered by the fact that I eat them.

And what about the chickens? I swear, I wish I could remain oblivious sometimes. Why do they have to have eyes? I eat meat but less and less as I've gotten older.

But to kill an animal for the sake of it or for the purpose of hurting a group of people or to send some kind of a sick message mades me feel so sad and is criminal imo.

BBM

Well we can't stop living our lives just because animals are killed and mistreated on a daily basis. Some of us don't agree with it. But I don't see what that has to do with this situation. I think I have every right to be mortified by this killing. Just because other animals are killed everywhere, that means this can't be upsetting to us?

I don't understand your reasoning, I really don't. It's kind of offensive, actually, to suggest that we don't care about animals or their treatment just because we eat them or we aren't out there every second of the day campaigning for better treatment. We simply cannot fix every injustice in this world. It's not possible.

Plus a lot more people would starve. That's never a good thing.

How many "sacred" white buffaloes have to be born before something happens? Is this akin to Moses in the bulrushes? Seriously questioning here because all the other children were killed.

How many "sacred" white buffaloes have to be born before something happens? Is this akin to Moses in the bulrushes? Seriously questioning here because all the other children were killed.

I'm confused by your post. Not being snarky, I seriously don't understand. Forgive me, I'm a bit slow today. :blushing:

I didn't understand the Moses/bulrushes reference.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KhaosDisciple
Back