Sad Story of Little Boy & His Dog

Linda7NJ said:
I am a hard core animal lover with several. I am also a mother. Hands down, I love my child more. I know if I could only save one, it would be my son.

Would you have to flip a coin?

The boy and his dog story is a sad one, but it PALES in comparison to the deaths, violence and separation of human families.

It would have been lovely if everyone were able to be evacuated along with their pets, but PEOPLE must come first.

And I resent being lumped in with people that would leave a dog tied to the porch and skip away, Just because I would chose to have my son survive!

Choose between my dog and child? - why, my child of course! No doubt! However, I have no children. My dog is my child..... she's my baby. I guess that is why we are called individuals. It's all about your personal priorities.

Gabby said:
Sassy, might as well give up... if you aren't a dog lover (or animal lover) you will never 'get ' it.... my dogs are my babies as you know and i would NEVER leave them....if they die, I die with them.. they'd do the very same for me. No sense making yourself mad and upset, Most of us understand and those who don't quite simply Won't, no matter how hard we try to explain.

Posted by Poco
I'm with ya Gab! There are many many people out there that don't love their animals in the same way we do. Those people are the ones that would leave their dog tied to a porch during Katrina or left to float to the second story. Whatever! Those that feel like we do should be given the option of taking our animals with us. My dog is my little girl. I love her every bit as much as I love my child - she is my child!

:blowkiss: :blowkiss: to both of you and everyone else who does "get it". I can't even put in enough "claps". :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: To so many of us, our animals are our furry children and my heart breaks for each and every one of them that was left behind or separated from their family.

Cynder, your post brought me to tears!! It is so very very true! :blowkiss:

Paco said:
Choose between my dog and child? - why, my child of course! No doubt! However, I have no children. My dog is my child..... she's my baby. I guess that is why we are called individuals. It's all about your personal priorities.
I have two Dobermans, 3 cats, 2 ferrets and two tortoises, ( I also have a horse and a pony) let's say I live on your block. I bring all of my family and pets and you bring all of yours....how many children may drown because we used the space for our beloved pets?

Could you live with that ? I couldn't. I guess it's all about "personal priorities".

I don't think anyone is arguing that in a perfect world every pet and every person would saved & kept together and they all get to live happily ever after.....I live in reality.

But why should these people who have already lost everything had to have chosen between their children or their pets at all?? No one should be forced to make such a decision. Their lives are already turned upside down and pure hell all within a week's time. Why add more emotional strain?

This just saddens me and ticks me off.... those people should not have been put in that position. It was not their fault that they lost everything.

PrayersForMaura said:
But why should these people who have already lost everything had to have chosen between their children or their pets at all?? No one should be forced to make such a decision. Their lives are already turned upside down and pure hell all within a week's time. Why add more emotional strain?

This just saddens me and ticks me off.... those people should not have been put in that position. It was not their fault that they lost everything.
Because the reality of life isn't perfect or fair.

But say I have no children...and say other people have 8 children and take up shelter space with them but I, with NO children am not accorded the same space because my chidren have fur, or shells or whatever? True compassion would be about celebrating and preserving LIFE, not what kind of life. Choices should not be necessary.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the value of a life - human vs animal etc. I do, however, disagree with the notion that an animal life is somehow less valuable or more acceptable to sacrifice. Having children is a CHOICE - just as having a pet is. If one CHOOSES not to have children and instead has a pet or pets, who is to say that the person with children deserves to save them while the person with the same number of pets is turned away.
Besides, it is obviously "the rule" that pets are sacrificed. Not a single person lost his or her life because a pet was given shelter instead. Not a single person was left sitting on a roof so a pet could be rescued. Not a single person was denied a bus ride to safety because a pet was taking their space in the bus. It's a moot point to say that people are more important because it is obvious that they ARE. All some of us are trying to do is make people understand that ALL life is equally important. People in an already horrific circumstance where all their material posessions and their homes are gone should not be forced to make a choice or have authorities tell them the animal they love with the same love they have for a child (and is ALL they have left of their life) is not "worthy" of being saved and that they are expected to knowingly and willfully kill that animal by abandoning it.
The "animal behavior" I saw this past week was being perpertrated by PEOPLE. People who were, by mandate, seen as more "valuable" and more "worthy" of life than Snowball and his kin.
Again, those pesky CHOICES about what life is deemed important and what life is not. And the victims to whom the compassion and aid is directed, are given NO choice at all.
Compassion should be blind.
There MUST be a better solution.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for this!!

cynder said:
But say I have no children...and say other people have 8 children and take up shelter space with them but I, with NO children am not accorded the same space because my chidren have fur, or shells or whatever? True compassion would be about celebrating and preserving LIFE, not what kind of life. Choices should not be necessary.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the value of a life - human vs animal etc. I do, however, disagree with the notion that an animal life is somehow less valuable or more acceptable to sacrifice. Having children is a CHOICE - just as having a pet is. If one CHOOSES not to have children and instead has a pet or pets, who is to say that the person with children deserves to save them while the person with the same number of pets is turned away.
Besides, it is obviously "the rule" that pets are sacrificed. Not a single person lost his or her life because a pet was given shelter instead. Not a single person was left sitting on a roof so a pet could be rescued. Not a single person was denied a bus ride to safety because a pet was taking their space in the bus. It's a moot point to say that people are more important because it is obvious that they ARE. All some of us are trying to do is make people understand that ALL life is equally important. People in an already horrific circumstance where all their material posessions and their homes are gone should not be forced to make a choice or have authorities tell them the animal they love with the same love they have for a child (and is ALL they have left of their life) is not "worthy" of being saved and that they are expected to knowingly and willfully kill that animal by abandoning it.
The "animal behavior" I saw this past week was being perpertrated by PEOPLE. People who were, by mandate, seen as more "valuable" and more "worthy" of life than Snowball and his kin.
Again, those pesky CHOICES about what life is deemed important and what life is not. And the victims to whom the compassion and aid is directed, are given NO choice at all.

cynder said:

EXCELLENT POST!!! VOTED POST OF THE WEEK BY POCO!!!!! I agree with you 1,000%!!!!! You've said it all!

NewMom2003 said:
I would do everything I could to get my pets to safety. They are my babies and I couldn't leave them behind.
:(

I am so with you on this.. Pets bring a lot of joy and they are LIFE just like us.. I would be soooo heartbroken to leave any of my loved ones behind and that includes a pet... They are also part of society and family...

Just read this on another board:

U.S. Department of Agriculture veterinarian Terry Conger said Tuesday that Snowball, a small white dog taken by police Thursday from a sobbing little boy as he boarded a bus at the Superdome, has been located at the Gonzalez shelter and will be reunited with his owner.

Sorry no link was given.

Edit: found a link, it's in this article

Mabel said:

Sorry no link was given.

Oh Mabel, thanks so much for the update. If you hear any more please let us know. You've made my day!!!!!

Linda7NJ said:
Because the reality of life isn't perfect or fair.
that's a real cop out of an answer.

No... edited to add: No, I'm not going to let this one go.

Life isn't perfect or fair, eh?
So it is ok that people lost their homes and ok that plans weren't followed for evacuations? After all, life isn't perfect or fair right?
:rolleyes:

PrayersForMaura said:
The truth is a cop out? "THEY" can't even manage to save the BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I out grew fairy-tales long ago.

It seems to me it would cost less in the long run if pets were taken into account as part of an evacuation plan. Just off the top of my head - The Humane Society could be set up where people are being received and they could be tagging and caging pets as they and their owners arrive. So many people are saying they won't leave because of their pets. Why not start taking that into account?

If I had to abandon a pet I would rather put it down myself than let it starve lost and alone. Especially completely helpless animals like ferrets.

Hi Cynder - Nice to see you posting!

PrayersForMaura said:

No... edited to add: No, I'm not going to let this one go.

Life isn't perfect or fair, eh?
So it is ok that people lost their homes and ok that plans weren't followed for evacuations? After all, life isn't perfect or fair right?
:rolleyes:
That's not what I am saying AT ALL!

The "evacuations" were a JOKE, "they" didn't care enough about the people. Where would you like "THEM" to begin to fix this problem? Do you HONESTLY think people will EVER all be evacuated safely and with their pets? EVER?

It's a wonderful dream, but that's all it is. SADLY.

tipper said:
It seems to me it would cost less in the long run if pets were taken into account as part of an evacuation plan. Just off the top of my head - The Humane Society could be set up where people are being received and they could be tagging and caging pets as they and their owners arrive. So many people are saying they won't leave because of their pets. Why not start taking that into account?

If I had to abandon a pet I would rather put it down myself than let it starve lost and alone. Especially completely helpless animals like ferrets.

I couldn't leave mine to starve or drown either, I would have to end their lives quickly and as painless as possible.

cynder said:
But say I have no children...and say other people have 8 children and take up shelter space with them but I, with NO children am not accorded the same space because my chidren have fur, or shells or whatever? True compassion would be about celebrating and preserving LIFE, not what kind of life.

I'll be honest here. I love my cat. He is my child. But if it were between my cat, and someone else's child, I would sacrifice my cat for a child. It would kill me and haunt me and add already to that overloaded, aching place in my heart for other lost pets. But I couldn't let a child die or even walk the streets.

And, yes, having children is a choice (less so if you're poor and can't afford contraception). But not for the child.

tipper said:

Great ideas - I have been thinking the same thing. More and more Americans have a close relationship with their pets and consider them "family" than ever before. Society is changing so much as the baby boomers become empty nesters and retire - and we are a powerful force. There ARE solutions!
I am lurking about - I couldn't let this subject go by without comment. I am taking in displaced turtles already (some victims are not furry, lol). I am so sad and so depressed about the massive loss of life (all life, human, plant and animal), the pollution, the enviromental damage, the possibility that the soil and water and air may never properly recover. And no-one has yet to mention that the migratory birds will be arriving soon - will they too be doomed die in an oily, polluted coastline? I saw pictures today of oil covered dogs and cats and birds. Without immediate intervention they will all die in a few days, a horrible death by slow poison. It makes me sick.

Mabel said:

Sorry no link was given.

Edit: found a link, it's in this article

Wonderful news about Snowball!!! I hope he/she and his little boy are reunited soon!!!

Heartbreaking news about some of the others though. The quote about 200 drowning in Mississippi really got me. God Bless those babies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back