Sam Rubin, Los Angeles news anchor and entertainment reporter, KTLA, dies age 64

ifindedout

Reaction score
Rubin’s family confirmed he died of a heart attack. He was last on the air Thursday morning and showed no outward signs of illness, co-workers said.

Rubin joined KTLA 5 Morning News in 1991, instantly making an impact with his encyclopedic knowledge of film and television and infectious charm. His news reports, interviews and feature segments were central to the morning broadcast and a hallmark of KTLA’s brand.

“The Sam that you saw on the air is the Sam that was off the air,” Rubin’s longtime colleague and friend Frank Buckley said in announcing his passing on live television. “Our hearts are broken. To all of us he shared his mornings with on television, and to those he worked with behind the scenes … we will not forget him. Quite simply, Sam was KTLA.”

Rubin’s sudden passing devastated co-workers, many of whom reflected on his impact during KTLA’s live coverage.

“Whenever a famous person passed away, he had the most touching and moving obituaries that he would write, and he would put their lives in perspective in such a way that was truly a talent,” recalled Eric Spillman, who also began working at KTLA in 1991. “Now we’re in the position of having to talk about his career and his life and give it some perspective and give it the dignity that it deserves … I’m at a loss for words.”

“Everybody in Hollywood knows Sam Rubin. Everybody loves him. He was my friend,” said KTLA 5 Morning News weather anchor Mark Kriski.

Rubin’s family confirmed he died of a heart attack. He was last on the air Thursday morning and showed no outward signs of illness, co-workers said.

Rubin joined KTLA 5 Morning News in 1991, instantly making an impact with his encyclopedic knowledge of film and television and infectious charm. His news reports, interviews and feature segments were central to the morning broadcast and a hallmark of KTLA’s brand.

“The Sam that you saw on the air is the Sam that was off the air,” Rubin’s longtime colleague and friend Frank Buckley said in announcing his passing on live television. “Our hearts are broken. To all of us he shared his mornings with on television, and to those he worked with behind the scenes … we will not forget him. Quite simply, Sam was KTLA.”

Rubin’s sudden passing devastated co-workers, many of whom reflected on his impact during KTLA’s live coverage.

“Whenever a famous person passed away, he had the most touching and moving obituaries that he would write, and he would put their lives in perspective in such a way that was truly a talent,” recalled Eric Spillman, who also began working at KTLA in 1991. “Now we’re in the position of having to talk about his career and his life and give it some perspective and give it the dignity that it deserves … I’m at a loss for words.”

“Everybody in Hollywood knows Sam Rubin. Everybody loves him. He was my friend,” said KTLA 5 Morning News weather anchor Mark Kriski.
I lived in Los Angeles for many years and I remember him well from his TV news appearances. He was always smiling. Rip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D4rckfire
Back