Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9

ADMIN NOTE:

Members need to review any opening posts to make sure they are not violating thread specific parameters.

Specifically, please read post #2 of this thread:

If members continue to post in violation of sub judice rules, there is a chance that the authorities in Australia will contact Websleuths and we will have to close the discussion. It has happened before and nobody wants that to happen again.

ADMIN WARNING

In Australia, the moment a person is under arrest, and throughout the entire judicial process up to appeal, sub judice comes into effect.

Sub judice is covered under Contempt of Court. If a post is considered sub judice by Mods or Admin it will be removed.

Any member who continues to post sub judice will be permanently banned from the discussion.

If a post includes any of the following, it is sub judice.

Anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any suggestion, opinion, or direct accusation that the accused is either guilty OR innocent
(i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer"; use "the accused", "the alleged killer", or "the defendant")
A defendant’s previous history of any offences is off limits
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits

Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits

Note in the event of an Appeal subsequent to verdict:

Appeals are usually heard by senior judges who are not likely to be influenced by the media, therefore responsible comment is usually considered acceptable once a trial has concluded, regardless of if there is going to be an appeal.

Reference:

Last edited:
They used to call it the lucky country, but if you ask me, there's something just not right in Australia these days...

It makes my blood boil when I read about all these offenders who were out on bail and/or continuing to break the rules of their probation. We need to crack down on offenders and make the punishment a true reflection of the crime, as well as being a major deterrent.

On a side note, it's Mother's Day today here in Australia. My thoughts go out to the Murphy family, facing another milestone without Samantha. I'm also thinking of Whitney Stephenson, who's life has changed drastically in the last few months.

It makes my blood boil when I read about all these offenders who were out on bail and/or continuing to break the rules of their probation. We need to crack down on offenders and make the punishment a true reflection of the crime, as well as being a major deterrent.

On a side note, it's Mother's Day today here in Australia. My thoughts go out to the Murphy family, facing another milestone without Samantha. I'm also thinking of Whitney Stephenson, who's life has changed drastically in the last few months.
I second that motion, HB.. for WS.. a terrible upheaval, and no end in sight, either..

Just thinking… SM was a Richmond FC supporter. PS’s Dad played for Richmond FC. If she was a Richmond supporter; it’s likely she knew who the Dad was. And if she volunteered at the school that PS went to when he was in primary school, I’d imagine there’d be a good possibility she knew the family attended the school, and therefore know PS.
I wouldn’t count on that. My husband is a massive Richmond supporter and didn’t know who he was. He only played a handful of games.

I wouldn’t count on that. My husband is a massive Richmond supporter and didn’t know who he was. He only played a handful of games.
IMO it's entirely possible that Samantha knew some members of the Stephenson family. This view is based on my having been born and raised in a major regional city, where most people know who most people are, even if they don't know the others' name.

Samantha's daughter and PS are the same age, and both attended private colleges, (where the colleges usually "pair-up" for important events.) Police have stated that there's no "connection" to the alleged killer. I guess it depends how police define "connection" in this instance.
JMO

IMO it's entirely possible that Samantha knew some members of the Stephenson family. This view is based on my having been born and raised in a major regional city, where most people know who most people are, even if they don't know the others' name.

Samantha's daughter and PS are the same age, and both attended private colleges, (where the colleges usually "pair-up" for important events.) Police have stated that there's no "connection" to the alleged killer. I guess it depends how police define "connection" in this instance.
JMO
Respectfully - Ballarat is a city of 100,000. It is not physically possible for everyone to know one another, even if sometimes it feels that way. I think back to my school days - my parents certainly did not know the parents of every single student. Just seems like LE have been pretty emphatic about there being no connection, and if there was, I think we would have heard by now (e.g. local gossip).

OT, but women can use spray deodorant to spray if close enough. Think of timing though. I have a screamer that hangs on the outside of my purse. Quick, accessible and easy to use. It at least startles them.

Respectfully - Ballarat is a city of 100,000. It is not physically possible for everyone to know one another, even if sometimes it feels that way. I think back to my school days - my parents certainly did not know the parents of every single student. Just seems like LE have been pretty emphatic about there being no connection, and if there was, I think we would have heard by now (e.g. local gossip).
Respectfully, I am well aware of Ballarat's population. I stated "IMO it's entirely possible that Samantha knew some members of the Stephenson family".

The social circles in which one moves in a regional city often inform knowledge of names/faces - hence my mention of the children in respective families attending private colleges where they are often paired-up for organised events. Additionally both families are/were business-owners in the community, where numerous networks/organisations exist.

IIRC there was a "local knowledge" post early regarding the two families, which I am unable to find. It may have breached TOS, causing removal. Regardless, I stand by my statement that "it's entirely possible that Samantha knew some members of the Stephenson family.

JMO

Off topic, but relevant.

What is going on Australia?!?!

I don't think it's just Australia, it's worldwide.

At the risk of sounding old, I think society is changing and we've lost some of the values we had, like respect for our elders or those in authority. In a bid to raise our children to have self esteem and believe in themselves, we've gone too far the other way. We've raised children to believe they are so special that the rules don't apply, that they are entitled to do, say and be anything they want. Schools and teachers don't seem to have the power to stop horrible behaviour and kids are running riot, even in primary school. Young people are seeing that even when their peers are brought to police attention, or before the courts, that nothing much happens. They just get notoriety which they seem to crave. The internet and social media seems to feed their egos, and it's now seen as cool to film horrendous things and upload them for likes. The internet has a lot to answer for IMO.

The cost of living does not help either. Not that I'm all for traditional roles, but back when it was possible to have a good family life on one wage, there was time. Time for the stay at home parent to do all the chores and raise the kids, while the working parent did a 9-5 day, leaving the weekends free for fun and down time. We are all so time poor now. Both parents working, either through choice or necessity, and often long hours, means "everything else" needs to be crammed into after work or weekends. This can lead to stress, pressure and feeling like you're on a hamster wheel. Not enough time to be totally present with your kids. Not enough time to de-stress. Not enough balance in your life, leading to violence and poor coping mechanisms in some people.

How do we fix this? I wish I knew, but I feel it needs to start young and more power given to those who need it. Teach kids from a young age there are ALWAYS appropriate consequences for their actions. ALWAYS. Even if they get away with murder (no pun intended) at home, let society teach them otherwise. Learning that X ALWAYS leads to Y, regardless of who you are, how much money you have, etc is required. It won't be a quick fix, but we need to do something.

At the risk of sounding old, I think society is changing and we've lost some of the values we had, like respect for our elders or those in authority. In a bid to raise our children to have self esteem and believe in themselves, we've gone too far the other way. We've raised children to believe they are so special that the rules don't apply, that they are entitled to do, say and be anything they want. Schools and teachers don't seem to have the power to stop horrible behaviour and kids are running riot, even in primary school. Young people are seeing that even when their peers are brought to police attention, or before the courts, that nothing much happens. They just get notoriety which they seem to crave. The internet and social media seems to feed their egos, and it's now seen as cool to film horrendous things and upload them for likes. The internet has a lot to answer for IMO.

The cost of living does not help either. Not that I'm all for traditional roles, but back when it was possible to have a good family life on one wage, there was time. Time for the stay at home parent to do all the chores and raise the kids, while the working parent did a 9-5 day, leaving the weekends free for fun and down time. We are all so time poor now. Both parents working, either through choice or necessity, and often long hours, means "everything else" needs to be crammed into after work or weekends. This can lead to stress, pressure and feeling like you're on a hamster wheel. Not enough time to be totally present with your kids. Not enough time to de-stress. Not enough balance in your life, leading to violence and poor coping mechanisms in some people.

How do we fix this? I wish I knew, but I feel it needs to start young and more power given to those who need it. Teach kids from a young age there are ALWAYS appropriate consequences for their actions. ALWAYS. Even if they get away with murder (no pun intended) at home, let society teach them otherwise. Learning that X ALWAYS leads to Y, regardless of who you are, how much money you have, etc is required. It won't be a quick fix, but we need to do something.

Thanks for the answer. It clears up alot of my wondering.

I live in a country where multi-generational households are the norm, so even with busy parents, the grandparents and sometimes great grandparents or a helpful aunt or uncle, older sibling, are always home and I guess it takes off alot of the pressures.

And no real help for mental health in last night's budget.

And no real help for mental health in last night's budget.
Yes!! Mental health is a real and growing problem, and those brave enough to reach out for help are often left hanging, without they help they need. Far too many people are taking their own lives and leaving so many people shattered by their actions. It all plays into the way society is changing, and not for the better.

Yes!! Mental health is a real and growing problem, and those brave enough to reach out for help are often left hanging, without they help they need. Far too many people are taking their own lives and leaving so many people shattered by their actions. It all plays into the way society is changing, and not for the better.
Couldn’t agree more.
Escalating crime, family violence etc are a reflection of a society that doesn’t prioritise mental health sufficiently. There is a need for a radical recognition of the central role that mental health plays in everyone’s lives. Prisons are failing to protect our community, and so many innocent community members are having their lives ravaged by crime, drugs and violence, as it would appear has occurred in this case, tragically.
:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back