San Francisco Considers Nation's First Safe Injection Site for Addicts

Would this "safe site" decrease the amount of overdose fatalities?

• Yes

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that police could go in and arrest them anytime also. They know they are in there doing illegal things. This seems really strange to me. I see that people are wanting to help them but shouldn't they try to help get them clean, not help them shoot up. I am all for helping the less fortunate and people with problems but I'm not sure about this one.

I agree!!!

So this will be a safe haven for those doing illegal drugs?
Dumb idea imo.

San Fransisco is the most universallly f%#$@# up City on the entire planet.

Cal

Yeah, 'cause they actually try to find solutions to problems rather than sit around on their butts taking pot shots at anyone who dares dream that things could improved.

Do they make mistakes? Sure. It's also the most expensive city in the country because people are lined up trying to get in.

I think that police could go in and arrest them anytime also. They know they are in there doing illegal things. This seems really strange to me. I see that people are wanting to help them but shouldn't they try to help get them clean, not help them shoot up. I am all for helping the less fortunate and people with problems but I'm not sure about this one.

I think the idea is to keep addicts alive long enough that they can be helped.

Yeah, 'cause they actually try to find solutions to problems rather than sit around on their butts taking pot shots at anyone who dares dream that things could improved.

Do they make mistakes? Sure. It's also the most expensive city in the country because people are lined up trying to get in.

I too appreciate San Francisco's ability to try different and new things. So many of our old tired ways and laws just aren't working.

SF is an easy target because of this willingness to think and act outside the box!

I saw this on the news this morning. This has GOT to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Oh wow, did you get that right!

"Today, kids, we're going to learn that drugs are BAD for you. But if you ever decide to use them, you can go to San Francisco and shoot up in the city drug room."

Talk about mixed messages.

I think the idea is to keep addicts alive long enough that they can be helped.

That - and studies show that it also cuts down on drug-related crime and the public health problem of abandoned needles. It's not just about the addicts - the larger population's welfare is being considered as well.

I too appreciate San Francisco's ability to try different and new things. So many of our old tired ways and laws just aren't working.

SF is an easy target because of this willingness to think and act outside the box!
scm, SF is definitely outside of the box. they do some fairly original things, and they usually seem to work, at least for San Francisco.

Oh wow, did you get that right!

"Today, kids, we're going to learn that drugs are BAD for you. But if you ever decide to use them, you can go to San Francisco and shoot up in the city drug room."

Talk about mixed messages.

We are already sending them that mixed message. Two major drugs (nicotine and alcohol) are sold and consumed legally every day. Plenty of those teachers telling kids to Just Say No - It's Bad for You, are going home and having a cocktail at the end of the day. The only difference between their glass of wine and someone's drug being used in the city drug room is one drug is legal and one is not.

Alcohol is a devestating drug and we allow people safe havens to use it all over the place.

Alcohol is a devestating drug and we allow people safe havens to use it all over the place.

I had never thought of it that way but how very true. What a profound statement. Do you ever read something and it just hits you? That's a statement I know I will never forget.

We are already sending them that mixed message. Two major drugs (nicotine and alcohol) are sold and consumed legally every day. Plenty of those teachers telling kids to Just Say No - It's Bad for You, are going home and having a cocktail at the end of the day. The only difference between their glass of wine and someone's drug being used in the city drug room is one drug is legal and one is not.

Very good points. Alcohol use causes the most damage and cost to our society; nicotene a tremendous toll on people who use it and the health care system.

Mothers often provide "safe havens" for their teenagers' drinking; so they won't go on the street and kill someone or themselves.

I would hope the safe house would be in conjunction with counseling and withdrawal from drugs - I hope it wouldn't "encourage use".

If it works in other places, try it. Evidently San Francisco has a huge drug problem to deal with.

But as far as bashing it; there are many who would love to live there if it weren't so expensive.

I'm undecided, because although it may be condoning drug use and the users need to hit bottom, on the other hand, if they're going to do it anyway, isn't it better to have them off the street, away from the rest of society so they aren't spreading diseases and stealing and committing other crimes?

It's kinda like teaching abstinence in schools. You don't want teenagers having sex, but pretending they won't is putting your head in the sand.

I had never thought of it that way but how very true. What a profound statement. Do you ever read something and it just hits you? That's a statement I know I will never forget.

You are very sweet Shamrock. It is perhaps a topic for a different thread, but whenever I start talking drugs, alcohol is never far from my mind!

You folks will have to continue to solve the world's problems without me. It is my 9th wedding anniversary, my overnight babysitter will be here any minute now and DH and I are going to hole up in a hotel for the night!! :woohoo:

You are very sweet Shamrock. It is perhaps a topic for a different thread, but whenever I start talking drugs, alcohol is never far from my mind!

Well alcohol is a drug too. And if it alone doesn't cause a person problems, it can be a gateway drug to something equally (or more) harmful.

You folks will have to continue to solve the world's problems without me. It is my 9th wedding anniversary, my overnight babysitter will be here any minute now and DH and I are going to hole up in a hotel for the night!! :woohoo:

AWE!!! Congrats!!!!!!! Have a great time!!
fing02.gif

Well alcohol is a drug too. And if it alone doesn't cause a person problems, it can be a gateway drug to something equally (or more) harmful.

My sister swears that sugar is everyone's first drug...and she may have a point. But I agree with you that alochol is THE gateway substance. Not that I have anything against alcohol - there are responsible "users" in this world and then there are abusers.

I've always had questions about why is Drug A is controled and regulated by the government and then Drug B is controlled and regulated by doctors/pharmacists and then these Drug C is controlled and regulated by men with guns on the streets......I don't have any answers - just lots of questions and an open mind to some viable public solutions.

Agreed. Was there on my honeymoon a few weeks ago. My third time there. I love it.

I consider San Fran to be one of the most forward thinking cities in America.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back