SAR mapping/satellite of the river

So, the river actually flows west to east, meaning that three legs of the river flow into one practually in the heart of Kansas City? So, something that was thrown into the water in Avondale, would run in the direction of Randolph?[/quote]
Yes .

One more note. If you look at Google Earth images, right now it is showing images during some of the flooding. It appears to be in the earlier stages. The river is now not as close to the roads as it appears and the banks are very unstable. In early October the flooding was pretty much over here leaving the mess fresh behind.

Flow and discharge info:

The Kansas [Kaw] River
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_River"]Kansas River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Missouri River
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_river"]Missouri River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

A Missouri Highway Patrol trooper went missing in floodwaters in early August near Big Lake. He has been declared dead and is presumed to have been swept away by floodwaters.

Extraordinary resources have been spent for months in an attempt to locate his body. The latest efforts saw nearly a million gallons of water an hour being pumped out. And still no resolution for that poor man's family.

ETA: MISSOURI RIVER floodwaters.

Link to the story DeAnn references above:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15893742/mhp-pumping-900k-gallons-of-water-an-hour-in-search-for-trooper?clienttype=printable

"BIG LAKE, MO (KCTV) -

The Missouri Highway Patrol is pumping nearly a million gallons of water an hour in the search for a missing trooper.

A court has already declared Fred Guthrie Jr. legally dead. He and his dog were swept away in the Missouri River floodwaters on Aug. 1. The body of the dog, Reed, was found near their empty patrol car.

Authorities believe the trooper's body is near that location possibly in a 50-foot deep cavern created by the floodwaters."

(snipped--more at link)

How recoverable do you think a body in the river would be by now? If it's been this long wouldn't they be looking for tiny, tiny bones?

Portions of Laci and Connor washed up on shore several months later....

Could any locals confirm for me that the Coffer Dam (N/39.04693 W/94.78641) falls east of 435- and the river is flowing east there. Is that correct? TIA if anyone can clarify.

Something I should clarify before you guys go any further?
The river flows from WEST to EAST, running into the MISSISSIPPI

It does not run west towards Kansas City

I've always wondered when the serial killer who was killing the prostitutes was throwing the body parts into the river at. A lot of these parts were found from Sibley towards Lexington, MO and further east...

Once again... Flowing West to East. The river flows in an eastern direction all the way through Missouri.

Something I should clarify before you guys go any further?
The river flows from WEST to EAST, running into the MISSISSIPPI

It does not run west towards Kansas City

I've always wondered when the serial killer who was killing the prostitutes was throwing the body parts into the river at. A lot of these parts were found from Sibley towards Lexington, MO and further east...

Once again... Flowing West to East. The river flows in an eastern direction all the way through Missouri.

Thanks indepmo. I think we've got it- just some confusing explanations on my part. I have too many overlays and was also looking at driving directions (such as if someone doubled back.)
Can you provide some coordinates for the north bank- say about a 1/2 to 1 mile of bank- where you think access could be gained, if someone had driven West first? TIA for your help!

ETA: So... correct? the Coffer Dam is E of 435, and the river runs east there as well? Thanks!

This is the Chouteau bridge. I am on the north side of the bridge facing south on a walkway that runs along the east side in the bridge. On the left side of this image you will see a fence that is rather high. The fence ends about where you see the pole and the sign at the top of the image. The rest of the bridge is open with a railing that is about 3' 1/2" tall all the way across the bridge until you get to the other end and there is a high fence again. This walkway is wide enough for two bicycles to ride along side by side with one another. On the right side of the railing is a divided 4 lane road, and as I stated, another walkway on the other side of the bridge.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/bridgelh.jpg/

This is a view of the Missouri river while standing on the east walkway of the Chouteau bridge. Once again, I am standing on the north side of the bridge on the east walkway. When you are looking at the end of the river in this image you see a very bright light in the water. This is about where the I-435 bridge runs across the river. It is a 6 lane divided highway with no walkways along the side of the bridge, and a 65mph speed limit.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/riverc.jpg/

This is a very wide river that flows to the east all the way to St. Louis, MO where it runs into the Mississippi river.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the area.

There are a couple of other things I can point out in the river image.
On the middle left of the screen you will see railroad tracks that run along side of the river. Right below the tracks you will see a large pile of large white rock. This is where the old Chouteau bridge used to be that was imploded in 2001. My guess is, there are large amounts of concrete under the water unless they completely cleaned this out after the implosion.Here is an aerial view of the bridge
http://www.modot.org/kansascity/major_projects/documents/Chouteauaerialoverview.pdf

If I do a measurement on Google Earth, it's showing the distance between the Chouteau bridge and I-435 bridge to be 1.98 miles.

The distance from bank to bank (over the Chouteau bridge) is 0.20 miles.

Indepmo, if you wanted to cross from one side of the bridge to the other (both walking and driving routes) what would you encounter as a turnaround point in both directions?

Indepmo, if you wanted to cross from one side of the bridge to the other (both walking and driving routes) what would you encounter as a turnaround point in both directions?

One turn-around point if I were driving south across the Chouteau bridge would be to travel south across, turn right on N. Chouteau Trfy, head back N. along the W side of Chouteau, turn right to go under bridge, take my first right S. on Chouteau Bridge Rd then back north on Chouteau.

If traveling S. across the I-435 bridge, Front Street would be my 1st choice there.

I've noted both of those travel points as they both cross the river (driving).

Walking...
There is a void between the lanes of traffic on the Chouteau bridge, and only chain link fencing not meant to walk on, but placed between the lanes of travel to protect anyone from falling to their death.

I would never want to even stop my vehicle on the I-435 bridge in fear of getting rear ended, and certainly not walk on it because there are no shoulders. . Once again, 65mph zone.

One turn-around point if I were driving south across the Chouteau bridge would be to travel south across, turn right on N. Chouteau Trfy, head back N. along the W side of Chouteau, turn right to go under bridge, take my first right S. on Chouteau Bridge Rd then back north on Chouteau.

If traveling S. across the I-435 bridge, Front Street would be my 1st choice there.

I've noted both of those travel points as they both cross the river (driving).

Walking...
There is a void between the lanes of traffic on the Chouteau bridge, and only chain link fencing not meant to walk on, but placed between the lanes of travel to protect anyone from falling to their death.

I would never want to even stop my vehicle on the I-435 bridge in fear of getting rear ended, and certainly not walk on it because there are no shoulders. . Once again, 65mph zone.

Thanks again, indepmo. It is so helpful to have someone local and knowledgable!

Regarding walking- I didn't mean on the bridge itself, I actually meant the walk/bike path where your pics were from. What is at the base of each side of the path? Is there a place where pedestrians could easily be picked up by a vehicle exiting the bridge (going in either direction?) Or would a vehicle have to sort of circle around the exit and back track? Trying to figure out the traffic pattern here and am kinda confused, lol.

Portions of Laci and Connor washed up on shore several months later....
I cringe to have to say it, but for at least a while, Connor was protected by Laci's body...

:(

Lisa, unless in a container, was all on her own. :( And much smaller than Laci.

I've thought this for weeks, that Lisa ended up in the river. Unless somehow she was handed off to someone, alive, and if so...she could be anywhere now.

ETA: Probably OT, sorry. Perhaps we need a "River theory" or just the generic theory thread for such comments. :blush:

Thanks again, indepmo. It is so helpful to have someone local and knowledgable!

Regarding walking- I didn't mean on the bridge itself, I actually meant the walk/bike path where your pics were from. What is at the base of each side of the path? Is there a place where pedestrians could easily be picked up by a vehicle exiting the bridge (going in either direction?) Or would a vehicle have to sort of circle around the exit and back track? Trying to figure out the traffic pattern here and am kinda confused, lol.

On the NE side of the bridge, there is a BP station. I believe it closed at Midnight. Easy drop-off, easy pick-up. And before anyone speculates...
NO... It's not the same BP where the video surveillance footage was shown on TV.

Are there any examples of bodies being located in this river and where the entry points would have been?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back