Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family members, as well as law enforcement and search groups from North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Maine, scoured wooded areas near Powell Road in Georgetown County and Seven Mile Road in Charleston County."

I am very much not familiar with this area, but aren't these opposite sides of the river?

I wonder if the searches in early January focused on Seven Mile Rd. for a particular reason other than the fact that we think that's the location of the cell tower that might have received her phone's signal.

Here's what I found from the Jan searches. Just posting what has been said, not making any judgement on it..yet!!

The majority of the searches since Drexel vanished April 25, 2009, have concentrated on a five-mile radius around the North Santee Community. It's where detectives say they tracked Drexel's cell phone signals from the night and day after she disappeared.

Caison, Myrtle Beach police and the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office have several areas of interest around the North Santee Community, but there's no specific reason searchers were back this weekend. http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=399596

Family members, as well as law enforcement and search groups from North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Maine, scoured wooded areas near Powell Road in Georgetown County and Seven Mile Road in Charleston County.

This wasn't the first time volunteers had searched those particular areas in Georgetown, said Monica Caison, director of the Community United Effort Center for Missing Persons in Wilmington, N.C., which conducts nationwide searches for missing people.

"It's always good to go back to places that we've searched prior," she said. "We have to continue to go back and look at areas and make sure we've turned over every stone looking for her."
Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/01/10/1253130/dozens-brave-cold-to-continue.html#ixzz0mtH8Vj98

From the beginning, law enforcement agencies and the CUE Center for Missing Persons -- which organizes the large-scale searches -- have dedicated thousands of hours on the search for Drexel.
Their efforts have concentrated largely within a five-mile radius in the North Santee Community where detectives tracked Drexel’s cell phone signals from the night she disappeared.
Aside from the cell phone clue, detectives and searchers haven’t found much else. The discovery of a pair of sunglasses resembling a pair worn by Brittanee sparked hope in December, but there has been no confirmation on whether they belong to her. http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=399498
There have been many leads and few clues. Monica Caison, the Executive Director of the CUE Center for Missing Persons has been looking for Brittanee since she vanished.

“We returned to Seven Mile Road (in McClellanville) because this has always been a point of interest for Brittanee’s cell phone,” she explained. “The cadaver dogs are out here to seek out any human remains. We have horse teams because they can see farther ahead over ditch banks and high bushes.” http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0110/694481.html

Today’s search went on in the area where Drexel’s cell phone gave out its last signal on the night of her disappearance back in April. The search will continue tomorrow.
Caison said there is about a 20 mile area they are continuing to focus on in Charleston County. http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...ng_teen_continues_in_charleston_county/96685/

Horses, dogs and about 100 people searched over acres of land near the North Santee River in Georgetown County, South Carolina. But all they found was debris and animal bones. The search was organized by the CUE Center for Missing Persons. http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1354177.shtml?cat=566
Another wide-ranging search for missing teen Brittanee Drexel is planned near Georgetown County in South Carolina this Saturday and Sunday, said Monica Caison, who is heading the search. Drexel, a junior at Gates Chili High School, has been missing since April 25. The search will run from early morning until dawn in hopes of scanning some of the areas where Drexel’s cell phone gave off its last signal.

“We’ve done at least 12 smaller searches in December and we want to eliminate some sections to make sure there is nothing undiscovered,” said Caison. “We’ve had volunteers sometimes looking for at least four days in row at the end of the year.”
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100105/NEWS01/100105007

Family members, as well as law enforcement and search groups from North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Maine, scoured wooded areas near Powell Road in Georgetown County and Seven Mile Road in Charleston County."

I am very much not familiar with this area, but aren't these opposite sides of the river?

Yes, they are different areas in different counties. The phone did ping in Charleston county at some point according to early reports. Personally, I think Caison is just making sure nothing is there at 7 mile rd. The phone also pinged at the Powell Rd area, and I think this is where the focus of the investigation is at...but, obviously, I'm just guessing based on what LE has said.

"Drexel was last seen April 25 leaving a Myrtle Beach hotel. The last signal from her cell phone came the next night near the South Santee River."

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s1295444.shtml?cat=565

So was it the North or South? I know they have said the POIs are from the northern area...

With the range of the cell tower being ~ 11 miles, it could be either side of either river... :(

LLLindsayy: "Powell Road in Georgetown County and Seven Mile Road in Charleston County." I am very much not familiar with this area, but aren't these opposite sides of the river? "

Yes, they are on opposite sides of the river, but they are only about 5-6 miles apart... See attached map...

Maybe Off Topic - something about 7 mile road, and the short distance between it and the south santee river... I get a strange feeling when I ride by there.. as if something is pulling me East (toward the Atlantic) Probably doesn't mean anything, but it is definately weird, and has happened a few times.

Attachments

• 7mile_to_Powell.JPG
    7mile_to_Powell.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 37
With the range of the cell tower being ~ 11 miles, it could be either side of either river... :(

LLLindsayy: "Powell Road in Georgetown County and Seven Mile Road in Charleston County." I am very much not familiar with this area, but aren't these opposite sides of the river? "

Yes, they are on opposite sides of the river, but they are only about 5-6 miles apart... See attached map...

Maybe Off Topic - something about 7 mile road, and the short distance between it and the south santee river... I get a strange feeling when I ride by there.. as if something is pulling me East (toward the Atlantic) Probably doesn't mean anything, but it is definately weird, and has happened a few times.

I'd check it out... B needs a miracle to bring her home. Maybe you can be her miracle.

Yes, they are different areas in different counties. The phone did ping in Charleston county at some point according to early reports. Personally, I think Caison is just making sure nothing is there at 7 mile rd. The phone also pinged at the Powell Rd area, and I think this is where the focus of the investigation is at...but, obviously, I'm just guessing based on what LE has said.

I'm not sure they could be so specific to say the phone 'pinged at the Powell Rd area', krista...my gut tells me Powell Road wasn't searched or even a focus point until Dec/Jan and it was the results of these 'tips other than the sunglasses' we have heard about. In fact, if I understand it correctly, the sunglasses weren't found until after the Dec searches started, then by just a camper who had heard of the current searches in the area. Anyway, I dont think pings led them to Powell Road.

Prior to Dec/Jan, the only very specific property names mentioned searched that I remember were Hopsewee Plantation and Pole Yard Landing and the water searches that launched from there. Then a short while later I guess the search effort grew to a level Pole Yard Landing couldnt contain it, and I think it was spreading from concentrating in the water to broader land searches and that is when they moved the staging area down to Thornhill Farms.

However it seems I remember early hearing of Seven Mile Road but it could be just that I saw it on the maps, or maybe they simply said something like "Thornhill Farms near Seven Mile Rd." when they were moving down there, but I dont know, mlatta, something about it has always just bugged me too, just when I look at the maps, one of those 'feelings' I get. ~~~insert spooky music here~~~ It just runs up the center of such a massive, desolate looking area. Isnt the turn off for it from 17 very close to the entrance to Thornhill Farms?

I'd be interested in how close Seven Mile Road gets down to the water and what water accesses may be easy for the public to sneak in and out without neighbors knowing, public boat launches, how much property near the river front (if it goes down that far) may be fenced property, etc. Just looking at the maps, understanding trees may hide housing through there, it looks less populated than even that Powell Road/Belladonna area we looked at along the north shore of North Santee yesterday.

I'm growing more and more interested in these searches everyday. I would have searched before now if children/health/family issues hadn't consumed my past year, but I seriously could see a field trip of sorts in the near future as soon as school lets out.

Does anyone from the area know what this white/red clay looking area right there at the river edge is/used to be? That's at the end of Seven Mile Rd close to South Santee River.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...9564,-79.392185&spn=0.01595,0.038495&t=h&z=15

(You guys know the routine - if my map doesnt put you squarely there, pull it around a little and zoom in or out to go to the northeast end of SMR. Now that I test the link, it looks like you just need to grasp and pull it straight down a little to see the area I am wondering about.)

I am working 10 days in a row starting Wednesday, but would be able to meet up with some of y'all after that if anyone wants to organize it.

Also, I know some folks with boats, who may or may not be willing to help, but can be asked.

Eight four three 4 five 8 five five one 5. Leave message ;-)

strato, have you thought about calling Monica Caison with CUE to see when they may be in the area again? I bet they would love the helping hands, and boats, etc.

If I go it would be to get a feel for the area first, maybe take my dad along as he grew up in the area and since I would have my very own 'gruesome twosome' tagging along, fears of trespassing etc, I can't see just myself out in the woods...but depending on the area I may call them myself to see when/if a formal search is planned in June.

Well, no I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll check the website.

As far as boats, I know some area sportsmen. Whether they'd be willing or able, can't say but can ask.

I don't know that area either, really, other than from a vehicle.

edit: will check back here tomorrow.

Any new information on the POI's? Been away all weekend.

I've been focusing on the Belladonna Ct./Powell Rd. area since those are both names that we know are involved with the current search. LE seems pretty positive that at least one of their POI knows what happened to BD and have stated that they live in the North Santee Community (same area as the search). Plus with all of the consistent tips that LE says all point to the same people or person I'm thinking THIS is the area of interest. I think it might have been Krista that posted something earlier about a small dock or pier jutting out into the water about half way between Belladonna Ct. and Mazyck Dr. but I definitley think this may be where those search pictures were taken. Bing is by far the best map to use with the bird's eye view. You will see something very small but long and wooden looking sticking out into the water on the north side and it does almost appear to be in a very tiny alcove. Even in the pictures you see of the search it looks like there's a bit of trees on the right side of the dock then you can see water behind it, which is consistent with the trees you see on the bird's eyes view to the left of the possible dock. Please let me know what you all think because I have been getting a very strange feeling about this.

lost&found:

LLLindsayy posted this one; I think it is the one you are specifically talking about:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=918&pictureid=10217

Here are a few others from the last thread I am just bringing over in case anyone missed them. They are focused on the area of Powell Road/Belladonna Ct on the north shore of the North Santee River. A few of us think this is the search area efforts focused on in December/January.

LLLindsayy: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=918&pictureid=10216

LLLindsayy: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=918&pictureid=10218

My INSANE map; pull it around if you need to to see the bend in the river (compare this area to LLLindsayy's second link I posted; same area, different seasons): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....226725,-79.406422&spn=0.003967,0.009624&z=17

krista's map (area we pulled from street signs in news clips from searches in January) : http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=G...e=33.230835&longitude=-79.41167&geocode=BLOCK

Just to catch any one up who may have missed it with the thread switch. Though I am interested in SMR, I do think this is a more likely possibility. Unfortunately I had the thought last night, what if she were placed there in the late hours of Saturday night (phone pinged all night), until first light when someone (one or more people) came back with a boat to launch from that small pier and take her elsewhere along the river...We see in one of the photos, vehicles can get to the water, surely close enough to launch a john-boat, and then there is the possibility the POI has a residence along the river, got on the boat on their property and came to this location to get her and take her elsewhere.

I just hope she is found.

I'd just like to say thank you to all of you here posting, sleuthing, etc. I'm not very good at it but I check every day to see if there's any answers to Brittanee's disappearance.

I hope I don't offend anyone but the only thing I have to offer is my prayers. Prayers for Brittannee, her family and those of you that are working so hard to find her.

I hope I don't offend anyone but the only thing I have to offer is my prayers. Prayers for Brittannee, her family and those of you that are working so hard to find her.

You couldn't offend anyone with that, LizzyB ! ! It's nice to know that there are other members here reading our posts.. And everyone in our lil family here will agree that you are welcome to post anytime!

Thank you for your prayers! That means way more than you may think! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500