SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

That poor family. I can't even imagine what their lives are like with their daughter missing for that many years. She was such a little thing. Someone just have just grabbed her up as she headed home. When friends go out together they should make a pact to stay together. I wonder how they expected Dail to get home without a vehicle? I wish she had called a cab or her dad. We just never think that something so horrible could happen to us.

I don't understand how LE could get Dail's DNA from someone that they might happen to arrest or did I misunderstand that? I can understand if they find a body and then match the DNA but how would her DNA still be on someone after all of these years?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what the article says.....

Or if police make an arrest and gather DNA evidence, they can run it through the database to see if it is a match to Dinwiddie.

Bumping for Dail and her family. Anyone on here from the SC area who would like to discuss this case? Does anyone know if LE is open with it's information, for example did any POI ever take lie detector tests or where there never any POI? I wonder about the bouncer who saw her last. And since we know she was usually a very careful person, I wonder if it's possible someone in LE is the perp--saw her walking alone at night in 5 points and offered her a ride. I truly don't think Rivera is the perp in this case. I've thought of writing to Rivera, who is on death row in GA, to see if he'd offer up any information IF he in fact is involved. Since he is on death row and has confessed to the murders in GA, why wouldn't he tell about Dail IF he was the perp.

There was a $50,000 reward (may still be in place, I don't know) in this case. You'd think with that kind of money offered someone would have talked.

Don't want to skip over Paula Merchant and her disappearance in 1999. Although their disappearanced occurred 7 years apart, LE still wonders if Rivera was the perp in both cases. We do know Rivera was killing in SC in 1999, but did he start as early as 1992? If so, there are other victims.

For those of you not familiar with the disappearance in 1992 of Dail Dinwiddie, here are some links.

http://www.kristenfoundation.org/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=hw&report=sp&ID=027

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/03/23/200303233381.htm

She was a beautiful, smart graduate student (from all accounts, I never knew her personally) who vanished without a trace. Within a very few days of her disappearance, posters with her picture and info were distributed everywhere in SC--every bank, post office, etc... Even in the little rinkdy dink country towns and I should know because I lived in one at the time. She got a good deal of newspaper and tv coverage and still to this day some newspapers cover the anniversary of her disappearance. Yet as far as I've been able to determine from the internet, not a solid lead to go on. Her small stature would probably make identifying her, if she turned up as a Jane Doe, fairly easy, but that hasn't happened either.

Anyone on here from the SC area who would like to discuss this case? Does anyone know if LE is open with its information, for example did any POI ever take lie detector tests or where there never any POI? I wonder about the bouncer who saw her last. And since we know she was usually a very careful person (from stories of her friends posted on the net) I wonder if it's possible someone in LE is the perp--saw her walking alone at night in 5 points and offered her a ride. I truly don't think Rivera is the perp in this case. I've thought of writing to Rivera, who is on death row in GA, to see if he'd offer up any information IF he in fact is involved. Since he is on death row and has confessed to the murders in GA, why wouldn't he tell about Dail IF he was the perp.

There was a $50,000 reward (may still be in place, I don't know) in this case. You'd think with that kind of money offered someone would have talked.

Don't want to skip over Paula Merchant and her disappearance in 1999. Although their disappearanced occurred 7 years apart, LE still wonders if Rivera was the perp in both cases. We do know Rivera was killing in SC in 1999, but did he start as early as 1992? If so then there are other victims likely in SC and GA.

Thanks for reading about Dail. I pray she'll be found one day and her family and friends will have some answers.

Oh that's awful S finch. I don't live in SC but I was wondering if you have been able to find all of the old articles and such to make sure none of them mention a poi?

I lived in Augusta, Ga (an hour from Columbia) when this happened and I remember the posters around town. I never forgot her face. It saddens me to know all this time has passed and she is still lost out there somewhere...
bump for Dail.. We still remember..

Does it strike anyone besides me as odd that she talked to the bouncer for 15 minutes and then he watched her walk off down the road by herself? Why didn't she ask him to call her a cab? Why didn't he insist on calling her a cab? Isn't that a doorman/bouncer's job? One of those articles said that she didn't like to walk alone at night. So why would she?

I want to know more about the bouncer. I wonder what he says they talked about for 15 minutes.

Does it strike anyone besides me as odd that she talked to the bouncer for 15 minutes and then he watched her walk off down the road by herself? Why didn't she ask him to call her a cab? Why didn't he insist on calling her a cab? Isn't that a doorman/bouncer's job? One of those articles said that she didn't like to walk alone at night. So why would she?

I want to know more about the bouncer. I wonder what he says they talked about for 15 minutes.

I've always wondered if the bouncer was given a polygraph, surely he was. Not many such details were ever released on this case. 5 points would have been crowded that night after the U2 concert and I find it hard to believe Dail would have chosen to walk home.

I agree, unless she went walking off to look for her friends or someone she knew for a ride.

This case has always haunted me too. I wish they could solve it.

One thing I've wondered: did they ever discuss what Dail's state was at the time of her disappearance? Because I've always thought that maybe she tried to walk home--and although Five Points isn't too far (maybe a mile) from where she lived, the area between Five Points and her home was really sketchy, to say the least. Since she WAS at a bar--if she was tipsy, maybe walking home didn't seem like such a bad idea, but something bad happened on the way home. That's been my theory--that, or she took a ride from someone she shouldn't have who couldn't be linked back to Jungle Jim's.

It's so sad. I can't even imagine how her parents feel, after all these years.

I know it is a stretch here, but has anyone considered how similiar the MO in this case is to the Wisconsin cases, particularly Kellie Nolan's and the other young lady (sorry, I have to go look up her name)? At the bar, gets separated from friends, never see her again.......

I also realize there is a large gap in the timeline, but still.........

Salem

Diedre Harm is the other young woman from Wisconsin. She also went to the bar, separated from friends and had not been seen again.

This case has always haunted me too. I wish they could solve it.

One thing I've wondered: did they ever discuss what Dail's state was at the time of her disappearance? Because I've always thought that maybe she tried to walk home--and although Five Points isn't too far (maybe a mile) from where she lived, the area between Five Points and her home was really sketchy, to say the least. Since she WAS at a bar--if she was tipsy, maybe walking home didn't seem like such a bad idea, but something bad happened on the way home. That's been my theory--that, or she took a ride from someone she shouldn't have who couldn't be linked back to Jungle Jim's.

It's so sad. I can't even imagine how her parents feel, after all these years.

But was she walking in the direction of home or the other bar where she was going to look for her friends? Did she ever make it to the other bar? I assume not since no one ever reported seeing her there. I've been to 5 points more than once but not sure how far it is between the two bars. I tend to think either she accepted a ride from someone she knew or someone grabbed her as she was walking and being as petite as she was, she would have been an easy mark. And surely whoever did this didn't do it just this once. How rare would that be?

The article said she was heading north on Harden Street, which would have been toward her home (according to Google Earth). I don't ever remember hearing anything about her being at a second bar, or heading toward one.

I find the bouncer angle a little odd. Here's why....

I would think that you would only talk to a bouncer for 15 minutes if you already knew him. I can see exchanging pleasantries with a stranger if he was nice-looking, instigated a conversation, but to talk for 15 minutes??

So, if she knew him and he knew her, why didn't he get her a safe ride home?

If she didn't know him, what did they talk about for 15 minutes?

And, wonder what time he left the bar?

Wonder if LE has checked on him lately?

Anyone have an idea of a name?

Where did the friends end up after leaving this bar? Straight home, to another bar...? What do they have to say? I've done my share of partying and we never left a member of our party without finding out what was going on or if they had another ride...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back