SC SC - Eva Gerline (or Jurlyn) DeBruhl, 15, Catawba, 29 June 1977

Sorry to bump this but I read on the Lyon thread that Lloyd Lee Welch has ties to SC. Was he ruled out for Eva?

Now I will admit that this is a bit far-fetched but hopefully someone can connect the dots one way or another.

The other day I was watching a program about the disappearance of Jamie Michelle Fraley April 8, 2008. During that program there was a talk about Ricky Dale Simonds Sr. as one person of interest. If I am not mistaken Ricky was about 49 years old when he diseased back in 2008.

Also, during the very same program the town Catawba NC caught my eye. Why?

For the past 5 to 6 years or so, I have been looking into another disappearance that of Eva Debruhl of Catawba SC. I think it’s actually Rock Hill SC.

Eva disappeared June 29[SUP]th[/SUP] 1977. I also had a brief email conversation with one of Eva’s relatives who told me that I have an eye for details e.g. the coke bottle/can that was found near Eva’s house.

Eva, what I know, was a very timid girl and a bit shy. Stay at home girl. So that’s why it was a big surprise to everyone when they learned that Eva was nowhere to be found…and still is.

Anyways, during the program (Disappeared – ID Discovery) when people described Ricky that he was a real chick magnet/ladies Man, good looks and knew his way around women, this portrayal also caught my attention.

Gastonia where Ricky lived is about 1 hrs drive from Catawba SC.

Here are my thoughts and questions.

• Ricky had the age and probably access to a car around 1977 when Eva Debruhl disappeared.
  • Thinking about what type of person Ricky was (described as), looks etc, he would most likely be that type of a person who could persuade a timid girl like Eva to go for a ride with him. Remember that the driver who "took" Eva had visited her doorstep once before within an hour or so before and then came around a second time.
  • The question is also if they’d met before? Did he attend the same school or church as Eva?
  • Did Ricky have any connection(s) to Rock Hill S.C at that time? Friends/work or other?
To summarize:
We know at least that Ricky is dead but the whereabouts of Eva Debruhl is still unknown. However, I think what I have mentioned here is well worth the time to look into.

Cheers,
Nick

I'd like to work on this case a bit closely. It's bugged me so much. I have some pictures of the property Eva vanished from, maybe we can come up with new theories and
escape routes.

Ashley Blackstone‏Verified account @ashblackstone

**MISSING: 15-year-old Eva Debruhl disappeared from Catawba, South Carolina in 1977 after mowing her family's lawn. Foul play is suspected. Help end this nightmare for her family. Only takes a second to share! #MissingPersonMonday #HelpBringMeHome

D4OIJiXWsAEDH6K.jpg

Ashley Blackstone on Twitter

Eva Debruhl
NCMC834337c1.jpg

Missing Since Jun 29, 1977
Missing From Catawba, SC
DOB May 25, 1962
Age at time of disappearance 15
Sex Female
Race White
Hair Color Sandy
Eye Color Blue
Height 5'1"
Weight 105 lbs
She was last seen on June 29, 1977. FOUL PLAY IS SUSPECTED.

Last edited:
Back in 2007, mention was made of a Jane Doe found in North Carolina who was being compared to Eva. It was either inconclusive, or ruled out based on one tooth being different.

That Jane Doe remains unidentified, and Eva remains missing today.

Here is that DOE network file for consideration as a possible match...

954ufnc.jpg
954UFNC2.jpg
954UFNC3.jpg
954UFNC4.jpg

Composites of the victim (NCMEC); Victim's clothing

Unidentified Female
  • Date of Discovery: June 2, 1978
  • Location of Discovery: Lumberton, Robeson County, North Carolina
  • Estimated Date of Death: 2 to 4 weeks prior
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable - Mummified
  • Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 15-22 years old
  • Race: White
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 95-110 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Light brown or reddish brown, medium length.
  • Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Fingernails and toenails painted with red metallic polish.
Dentals: Available. Occlusal amalgam restorations on teeth #3, 14, 18, 19, and 30. The antemortem extractions left diastemata between teeth numbers #4 and 6, 11 and 13, 20 and 22, and 27 and 29. Other teeth on radiographs and photographs appear missing postmortem, but postmortem examination records shows only teeth #4, 24, 25 as missing postmortem.
  • Fingerprints: Not available.
  • DNA: mtDNA and nucDNA available at UNT (ref #08-7463).
Clothing & Personal Items
  • Clothing: Jeans with slightly ragged cutoff bottoms, open toe platform wedge shoes with canvas straps with a flower design on the front straps and rubber soles (size 6), shirt or sweater with hood and very short sleeves and horizontal stripes with various shapes across front - the colors match the shoes, bikini style panties.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

LINK:
The Doe Network: 954UFNC

954ufnc.jpg
NCMC834337c1.jpg

Side by side comparison of the North Carolina 1978 Jane Doe, and Eva Debruhl missing 1977 from South Carolina.

What happened to Eva?

It's been more than four decades since the teen vanished from her Charlotte area front yard on a hot summer day, only her flip flops left behind.

Her father spent the rest of his life searching for her. He died in 1997. The case is still very much a mystery.

15-year-old Eva DeBruhl was mowing her family’s yard and had just made herself some iced tea when she vanished. Over the years tips have come in, including someone claiming to be the kidnapper, but nothing panned out.

“It’s a very long time, 42 years this past Saturday,” explained York County Sheriff’s spokesperson Trent Faris.

...SBM

“We had to treat it as a missing persons case, we couldn’t treat It as a kidnapping because there was no sign of struggle," Faris said.

But she’d left a glass of iced tea untouched, and her devastated father always said he knew she’d been kidnapped. He even quit his job to spend his days searching for her.

"The father and the family never stopped," Faris said.

Now, authorities are hoping this latest plea could make the difference.

“Hopefully, maybe, one day something will spark in somebody’s memory,” Faris said.

Even the tiniest clue could make all the difference. If you can help, call York Crimestoppers at 1-877-509-4321 -- you could help solve this case.

Eva DeBruhl vanished 42 years ago. Investigators are still looking for answers.

Eva Gerline DeBruhl
  • eva_gerline_debruhl_1.jpg
  • eva_gerline_debruhl_2.jpg
  • eva_gerline_debruhl_3.jpg
  • elizabeth_theresa_bishop_5.jpg
Eva, circa 1977; Age-progression to age 49 (circa 2011); Henry Lee Lucas, circa 1979

• Missing Since 06/29/1977
  • Missing From Catawba, South Carolina
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/25/1962 (57)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1 - 5'2, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A pink floral-print sweater, light blue floral-print shorts, and no socks or shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Eva's middle name may be spelled "Jurlyn" or "Jerline" by some agencies. She wears eyeglasses.
Details of Disappearance
Eva was last seen at her residence in Catawba, South Carolina on June 29, 1977. She mowed the lawn and then went inside to make some iced tea. She told her father he had been called in to go to work, and he left just after 11:00 a.m. Eva's mother, who worked the night shift, was asleep at the time. She woke up at about noon and her daughter was gone.

Eva has never been heard from again. A pot of iced tea and a glass were later found undisturbed in the house, the television had been turned on, and Eva's rubber flip-flops were on the front lawn. None of her clothes or other belongings were missing, except her eyeglasses.

Eva's grandmother lived near the family's home in 1977. She stated that on the morning Eva went missing, she saw a late model blue and white or green and white Jeep-type vehicle drive up to the DeBruhl residence and stop by the front door. A man got out and stood on the front porch; he appeared to be talking to someone through the screen door. She assumed the man had come to talk to Eva's father about fixing a car, but Eva's father had already left by then.

The man drove away, but returned ten or fifteen minutes later. Eva's grandmother didn't notice whether it stopped a second time. She didn't hear any suspicious noises and did not see her granddaughter get inside the car. The man driving it has never been identified and it is unclear whether he has any connection to Eva's case. He is described as Caucasian and of medium height and build. He wore a light green shirt and dark green pants.

Henry Lee Lucas later confessed to killing Eva. A photo of Lucas is posted with this case summary. He is also considered a possible suspect the disappearances of Elizabeth Theresa Bishop and Cheryl Scherer. He was convicted of the 1979 murder of an unidentified female in Texas and sentenced to death.

The state's former governor, George W. Bush, commuted his sentence to life imprisonment prior to Lucas's scheduled 1999 execution. He later died in prison. Lucas claimed to have killed approximately 600 people, but he confessed to many crimes he did not commit and the exact number of his victims is unknown.

Eva is described as shy and deeply religious; she was a member of the Providence Baptist Church and sang in the choir. She graduated from Castle Heights Junior High School prior to her disappearance and was looking forward to attending Rock Hill High School in the fall of 1977. Her family stated she was well-behaved, earned pocket money by babysitting, had no boyfriends and always kept her mother informed of her whereabouts.

Her father is deceased, but her mother and two sisters continue to search for her. Foul play is suspected in her case.
Investigating Agency
  • York County Sheriff's Department 803-628-3059
Source Information

Missing for 44 years...

NCMC834337c1.jpg
NCMC834337e1.jpg

Eva's photo is shown age-progressed to 57 years. She was last seen on June 29, 1977. FOUL PLAY IS SUSPECTED.

Eva Gerline Debruhl

Missing Since Jun 29, 1977
Missing From Catawba, SC
DOB May 25, 1962
Age Now 59
Sex Female
Race White
Hair Color Sandy
Eye Color Blue
Height 5'1"
Weight 105 lbs

LINK:
Have you seen this child? EVA DEBRUHL

what a beautiful girl ... it is very likely that henry lee lucas has raped her, tortured and murdered .. on wikipedia it says that the latter and otis toole were nice guys who won their victims first even though they smelled like death if she was an innocent girl she was brutally murdered.
rest in peace Eva.

I DON'T believe Henry Lee Lucas a.k.a. "The Confessions Killer" abducted Eva Gerline Debruhl in 1977.
Many of his alleged confessions have been thrown into questioning recently.
I personally believe that the best suspect that fits this MO, victim type and geographical connection is one person.
Larry Gene Bell
Larry Gene Bell LIVED in Rock Hill, SC about that time.
Usually killers have a trigger that correlates with their personal life. Larry and his wife divorced in 1976 living in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
Heis suspected to be a lifelong abductor/ murderer
Only after he abducted Shari Faye Smith (sister of a beauty pageant winner he was obsessed with) put on NATIONAL radar.
Larry Gene Bell would have had access to the area, know the area and if you look into the case of Shari Faye Smith I believe he utilized the same with Eva Gerline Debruhl.
It's said she was mowing the lawn that morning. And she disappeared between 11am and 3pm.
Shari Faye Smith was abducted at the mailbox.
I believe Larry was watching Eva or noticed he during her mowing the lawn and watched until she went to check the mail which delivery usually happens between those times. I think Eva Gerline Debruhl went to then check the mail after hearing the mailbox or the postal truck. Or someone knowing l knocking on the door such would account for the recliner she was using still being in the reclining position.
Watch this video on Shari Faye Smith's abduction at the mailbox and it shows his other victim Debra May Helmick (age 9) .
Eva Gerline Debruhl fits this pattern. She could've been an early victim.
Video on Shari Faye Smith and Debra May Helmick forensic files episode.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220918-093214_Chrome-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220918-093214_Chrome-01.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
June 29, 1977
- the disappearance of
Eva Gerline Debruhl
Her mother was allegedly home asleep after working 3rd shift (overnight) at a local Mill.
Eva's father Mr. Debruhl went to work that morning.
Eva decided she was going to cut the grass for her parents. At some point after cutting the grass, Eva went inside and tan a tub full of water for a hot bath and poureda glass of iced tea
Eva's mother awoke from her nap a few hours later. She looked for Eva, but Eva was gone leaving "the glass of ice sitting on the counter that Eva was going to fill with tea and a bath tub of water that Eva never bathed in. The recliner in the living room was also stretched out as if someone had been". stretched out in it watching TV with the PTL Club, a Christian based TV program, playing
Mr. DeBruhl was home by this time and the two of them searched around the house and called friends to see if Eva was at their home by chance. Eva had always asked her parents about going to a friends house before. She had NEVER just left without telling anyone."
'
Debruhl’s grandmother said she recalled seeing a blue or green truck with a white top drive up to the property on the day the teen vanished. A man got out and knocked on the door to Debruhl’s house. She said she didn’t get a good look at him because he had his back to her, according to the police report. The vehicle drove off and returned about 10 minutes later, and the grandmother could not see who was in it. She didn’t pay a lot of attention because Debruhl’s father repaired autos, and strangers would often visit to have work done. The truck and the man were never located. Another potential clue was a Coke bottle Debruhl’s father found in the yard, where the truck had pulled over. The bottle was made in Georgia, indicating that whoever dropped it may have been from out of state. A Coca-Cola bottling plant in Rock Hill served South and North Carolina, Settlemyer said. Yet the bottle was not dusted for fingerprints. Foul play is suspected." Except from link below, citing: Eva Debruhl – CUE – Community United Effort

I think the word of Henry Lee Lucas isn't worth anything. He was a liar. He was clearly motivated by a "god complex", and in the last years of his life he figured: "Well... they all know what I am... I might as well make them see me as the best/worst." He lied because he liked the excitement he got every time he confessed. I think he can only be credited with crimes there is direct evidence he committed.

I feel so much sadness for Eva's father... I can't imagine the pain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back