SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a random question for you veteran sleuths.... In cases of a missing person where there appears to be a close proximity to the victim's home and where the car was found, would it be likely or normal to go door to door along that route. I know in this day and age many of us assume that everyone knows the details and watches the news, reads the internet stories, etc but that is not always the case. Is this something that you know of happening in other cases? Do we know if it has happened in this case? IYO would it be helpful?

Heather's apartment is 9 miles from where the car was found, but hopefully they went door-to-door in the area of PTL and her apartment.

I'm thinking LE was not standing there when TE spoke to date. At the end of the report it states that at the time of this report the officer is unable to positively identify entities 2 & 5. The date is 2. If the officer was present, he would have spoke to the date as well.

IMO TE began making the calls while in the patrol car while the officer was driving him to PTL. He may have gotten the date's number from the roommate or maybe accessed HE's phone records & pulled it. TE would know it date was the one who sent the picture to HE right before she forwarded it to him.

IMO TE began making the calls while in the patrol car while the officer was driving him to PTL. He may have gotten the date's number from the roommate or maybe accessed HE's phone records & pulled it. TE would know it date was the one who sent the picture to HE right before she forwarded it to him.

He very well could have called the number (from where the pic came from) once he didn't get Heather, since this was the last contact TE had from her. Then the date would have filled him in on the timeline of their date.

Someone suggested yesterday (maybe on another case) that if we have any members with premium level scanner memberships, maybe the scanner can be rewound to the date when the car was discovered? Not sure if this is even possible.

There is no scanner for that area.

Good morning!

Was catching up on last night's discussion about report time etc. I agree it's strange that this part of it can't be more easily clarified for the timeline.

I tried to find it on http://p2c.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/p2c/ which has all incident reports (DUI arrest/suspicious activity/theft/etc) as well as a log of BOLOs/followups etc. Sadly the latter only goes back 72 hours and the earliest webcache I could find was from January 11th. http://p2c.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/p2c/cad/callsnapshot.aspx This is the call log that I believe would have the first report of the abandoned car. The only thing of interest in the 200 available calls was alate night BOLO for a missing person at Broadway on the Beach right by TK.

Same limitations with Horry County records. There are several report summaries from the 17-19th with similar circumstances. I wonder if the car report would have been pulled because of the investigation? Sorry if this has already been definitely established.. it wouldn't be the first time I fruitlessly went into hyperfocus mode on a records site.

Did find some interesting, though probably unrelated, and potentially already discussed events..

12/17 10:50 PM, suspicious vehicle/activity in HE's complex. This is probably what has already been linked here a few times.

12/18 10:45 AM, a larceny/theft report from what could be HE's complex

12/18 3:47 AM, suspicious activity reported very nearby River Oaks, opposite side of Waccamaw from PTL

12/19 12:46 PM, suspicious activity off Water Tower Road.. I only bring this one up because of the discovered remains discussions? I was mistaken in thinking this was by Tidewater but tell me I'm not crazy and the Water Tower area has been brought up for some reason? It's certainly vast.

12/18 10:50, more suspicious activity near a large-ish wilderness and water area.

I also had a PDF pulled up of an incident from the 18th or 19th (until my browser refreshed and I lost it) about a stolen moped that was found discarded in the woods off of Highway 501. Also probably completely irrelevant, but it reminded me of the theories we discussed about how HE's car could've been abandoned if no other vehicle was there. Plus that's just a strange thing to steal and abandon in such a short time frame.

Mostly trying to find non report related ways to theorize.

If there were a break-in in the area where HE's car was abandoned and around the same time, how would we find the report on that?

I think it would be in the police blotter which, I believe, is public record.

The only reason I personally would park a car like that was if I was pulling in behind someone.

Or next to them...

ETA: (re: the police blotter) or just look at post above, :floorlaugh:

We also "heard" TE was wearing gloves driving the car back to his home yet it isn't written anywhere I can find

I searched the thread and I came up with these 2 posts....

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - SC SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #2

From luckyladee:
"Margarita25 your absolutely right. I just want my friends daughter found, and im sure everyone else helping on here only want the same!"

So when you read this next post of the gloves you will know the context of the relationship with Heather and how or why this poster named Luckyladee may have had inside info on the gloves:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - SC SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #2

From luckyladee: Dec. 29th
"I dont think it was hidden it was just sitting there, the family didnt even know there was a problem til the police showed up at their door thursday asking if they had a car missing. The family didnt believe it was heathers because they were saying the car had been there for a week, and they knew heather had been at their house tuesday. The police took them to the scene and the family drove the car home. The police at A later time came and searched the vehicle, the parents knowing something wasnt right didnt search the car themselves and the father wore gloves to drive it . I think at the time the car was found the police nor the family believed she was necessarily missing! It wasnt until she didnt show up for her shift that they were convinced something was seriously wrong.. She was very committed to her job , and a work aholic."

I hope this info helps somewhat on the questions surrounding the gloves.

Someone suggested yesterday (maybe on another case) that if we have any members with premium level scanner memberships, maybe the scanner can be rewound to the date when the car was discovered? Not sure if this is even possible.

I think that was on Teleka's case

Good morning!

Was catching up on last night's discussion about report time etc. I agree it's strange that this part of it can't be more easily clarified for the timeline.

I tried to find it on http://p2c.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/p2c/ which has all incident reports (DUI arrest/suspicious activity/theft/etc) as well as a log of BOLOs/followups etc. Sadly the latter only goes back 72 hours and the earliest webcache I could find was from January 11th. http://p2c.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/p2c/cad/callsnapshot.aspx This is the call log that I believe would have the first report of the abandoned car. The only thing of interest in the 200 available calls was alate night BOLO for a missing person at Broadway on the Beach right by TK.

Same limitations with Horry County records. There are several report summaries from the 17-19th with similar circumstances. I wonder if the car report would have been pulled because of the investigation? Sorry if this has already been definitely established.. it wouldn't be the first time I fruitlessly went into hyperfocus mode on a records site.

Did find some interesting, though probably unrelated, and potentially already discussed events..

12/17 10:50 PM, suspicious vehicle/activity in HE's complex. This is probably what has already been linked here a few times.

12/18 10:45 AM, a larceny/theft report from what could be HE's complex

12/18 3:47 AM, suspicious activity reported very nearby River Oaks, opposite side of Waccamaw from PTL

12/19 12:46 PM, suspicious activity off Water Tower Road.. I only bring this one up because of the discovered remains discussions? I was mistaken in thinking this was by Tidewater but tell me I'm not crazy and the Water Tower area has been brought up for some reason? It's certainly vast.

12/18 10:50, more suspicious activity near a large-ish wilderness and water area.

I also had a PDF pulled up of an incident from the 18th or 19th (until my browser refreshed and I lost it) about a stolen moped that was found discarded in the woods off of Highway 501. Also probably completely irrelevant, but it reminded me of the theories we discussed about how HE's car could've been abandoned if no other vehicle was there. Plus that's just a strange thing to steal and abandon in such a short time frame.

Mostly trying to find non report related ways to theorize.

Thank you for this!

<respectfully sniped for focus>

Originally posted by bettiepageturner

Great info and sleuthing, bettiepageturner.. Do you have addresses where the moped was stolen & located, also the name of the wilderness area? It's not Peachtree Lake WMA, is it? TIA

Am trying, but unable to come up with any realistic scenario that would bring her home alive. :(

I know there are the few "miraculous" cases...but this feels personal to me, and those cases never seem to end well.

I just hope it ends, soon.

Last night a few of us remembered a 7pm time being mentioned as to the approximate time TE learned the car was left at PTL.
Here is the article where the info came from:

http://crimefeed.com/2014/01/heather-elvis-missing-pt-2-crime-feeds-interview-father-terry-elvis/

". . .he did say he was contacted on Dec. 19 when her green Dodge Intrepid was located. &#8220;An officer came just after dark and we went down to take a look where the car was there, after an hour of trying to call her it went straight to voicemail. By 7 p.m. I was frantic.&#8221;"

So maybe he first learned sometime between 5-6? I'd still love to know when the report of the car was first made. Usually that initial time is mentioned in the initial report.
It usually starts off something like at ___pm officer responded to a call of an abandoned car, or at _____pm officer noticed a car abandoned at ______.
Make sense? This part is missing from our report.

Thanks! I am adjusting the timeline :)

I think that was on Teleka's case

I actually asked in the HE Scanner thread too.

<Mod Snip>

Yes, it is.

No, it's actually not.

From HE's condo, there are several few ways to get to PTL.

1. Fantasy Harbour Blvd. > Forestbrook Rd. > Dick Pond Rd. > Peachtree Rd. (no highway driving)
  2. 501 > Forestbrook Rd. > Dick Pond Rd. > Peachtree Rd.
  3. 501 > 31 > Dick Pond Rd. > Millpond Rd. > Peachtree Rd.
  4. 501 > 17 > 707 > Dick Pond Rd. > Peachtree Rd.
Without knowing HE's comfort level on highway driving (I know my wife hates to drive on the highway), I would assume that HE would take route #1 (if in fact she drove there herself). The specific route may also be different depending on her location. Say, for instance, she stopped for gas first. Then, it may be preferable to take route #2.

So, 544 is not necessarily a direct path to PTL.

From Forestbrook Rd., Peachtree Rd. is a short distance away when driving in either direction.

Additionally, Old Dick Pond Rd. is considered 544, not Dick Pond Rd. (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

Okay, the more I look at the this incident the more creeped out I am. Look at the map and zoom in on Ronald McNair Boulevard. The incident itself was reported in the cul-de-sac of Atalaya Place, which faces Socastee Swamp. Ronald McNair is a straight shoot down Waccamaw coming from River Oaks and looks to dead end across the water from Atalaya, but there's some sort of smaller utility road or bridge connecting the two. Can anybody tell what that abandoned looking place is at the dead end? There are similar structures in the area.. that couldn't be the rock quarry, could it??

It's also 1.3 miles away from Tidewater. Not sure how it's 3+ miles from River Oaks which is a lot closer to Tidewater, but I guess there isn't as easy a straight shoot. This is also a dubious connection since there seems to be a consensus that HE's disappearance isn't related to the remains found or some active SK theory.

River Oaks is 6.8 miles (more than double) from the cul-de-sac, confirming IMO that whatever road/bridge connects there can't be traveled by car. I'm not sure if it's more likely that someone would park in the cul-de-sac and go towards the swamp on foot, or if they would park on Ronald McNair and emerge on foot into the cul-de-sac. So I come up empty handed in terms of the most logical route.

Totally JMO.. boredom on a Saturday morning. So yeah. I know parts of this area have been searched, but I would be pretty creeped out if it turns out this incident or route is related to the disposal of any evidence that night. I highly doubt that will end up being the case. I'm already fairly creeped out most of the time anyway. :dance:

No, it's actually not.

From HE's condo, there are several few ways to get to PTL.

1. Fantasy Harbour Blvd. > Forestbrook Rd. > Dick Pond Rd. > Peachtree Rd. (no highway driving)
  2. 501 > Forestbrook Rd. > Dick Pond Rd. > Peachtree Rd.
  3. 501 > 31 > 544 > Peachtree Rd.
  4. 501 > 31 > Dick Pond Rd. > >Millpond Rd. > Peachtree Rd.
  5. 501 > 17 > 707 > Dick Pond Rd. > Peachtree Rd.

Without knowing HE's comfort level on highway driving (I know my wife hates to drive on the highway), I would assume that HE would take route #1 (if in fact she drove there herself). The specific route may also be different depending on her location. Say, for instance, she stopped for gas first. Then, it may be preferable to take route #2.

So, 544 is not necessarily a direct path to PTL.

From Forestbrook Rd., Peachtree Rd. is a short distance away when driving in either direction.

Additionally, Old Dick Pond Rd. is considered 544, not Dick Pond Rd. (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

You have to drive Dick Pond Road to get to Peachtree. Old Dick Pond Rd is 544 and there is a bridge that runs over the ICW and Peachtree. You can't get to Peachtree from 544, that I'm aware of.

Why is there a scanner thread for this case, if there are no scanners in MB? Am confused.

Am trying, but unable to come up with any realistic scenario that would bring her home alive. :(

I know there are the few "miraculous" cases...but this feels personal to me, and those cases never seem to end well.

I just hope it ends, soon.

Another parallel to Amber Berbiglia's murder(05/2013), imo.. AB's murder was very personal and rage filled, imo. Combined with victimology and the TK tie.

Imo, when AB's killer is identified, there will be at least two of the many known unsolved missing/murdered female cases in Myrtle Beach/Horry Co., SC solved.

N.Myrtle Beach - Investigating the death of 23-year-old Amber Berbiglia as a homicide - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > N.Myrtle Beach - Investigating the death of 23-year-old Amber Berbiglia as a homicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769