Deceased/Not Found SC - Jason Knapp, 20, Clemson, 12 April 1998

Current NAMUS link: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original
Original
Original
Original
Original

Probably suicide. A hike on Easter Sunday, 80 miles away, car parked in an area he did not frequent, described as a "Mountain Biker" not a hiker, walked away apparently without comment to anyone. These stories rarely provide insights into the personal problems of the disappeared/deceased, could have just been his GF dumping him that sent him over the edge.

Sadly, to me this has always felt like a suicide...I think he went to that State Park and probably ended his life there.[/QUOTE]

The day before he disappeared he and a friend had been looking for an apartment. That night he was at his apartment watching a movie. That's the last time his roommates saw him.

Receipts found in his locked car at the state park show that he went to a Wendy's and stopped at an Ingles store for a six-pack of soda and a container of fruit juice on that Easter Sunday in 1998. His fingerprints are on a park admission ticket showing he arrived between 3-5 p.m.
Just some ramblings about this case. I was confused about the timeline. But I think I have it figured out. So Saturday, the day after Good Friday, he and a friend were looking for an apartment. That seems an odd time to look for an apartment when many people are busy over the holiday weekend. But if there were apartments to look at, then I guess it was as good a time as any. Saturday he looks for an apartment and then that evening his roommates--male, female?--watch a movie, sometime around 10:30 P.M. the roommates retire for the evening while Jason watches the rest of the movie. He left the apartment the next morning before they got up? Since Jason was at the park, which was only 30 miles away, sometime between 3 and 5 in the afternoon, where was he all day, supposing the roommates weren't in bed all day not to have seen him Sunday morning. If Jason was religious, he may have gone to Easter Sunday services that morning and then had lunch at Wendy's. He purchased root beer and juice that he left in his vehicle. So he had a day on his own, maybe to decompress from finals? Odd that he didn't call his mother to wish her Happy Easter, since they apparently were close, but then maybe it wasn't so odd. I don't believe it was a suicide. I could be wrong. I think he went for a hike and had an unfortunate accident and just hasn't been found yet. An accident in the wilderness can happen in seconds, even for experienced hikers. Table Rock State Park looks like there are plenty of opportunities for accidents. Steep rocks, bodies of water--and the weather might've been cold or raining that day and any numbers of places to slip and fall a far distance. Unfortunately I don't think he will be found until someone hiking or fishing just comes across him. The park looks vast and if Jason went off trail, he may never be found, sadly.

Twenty years after the disappearance, Boogher told the newspaper her son had been declared legally dead, despite no body being found. Deputies said there isn’t evidence of foul play in the case, but they haven’t ruled it out in their investigation.

Then in 2022, an age-progression photo was released to help people visualize how Knapp would look as a 44-year-old. But the release didn’t produce leads, and tips slowly have been trickling in over the past few years, James said.

“25 years later Jason’s mom, Deborah Boogher, still holds on to the hope that she will find the answers she has been searching for and longs to bring her son home safely,” the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children wrote April 12 on Facebook. “Deborah told NCMEC that several years ago she created scrapbooks filled with cherished photographs, mementos, and belongings of Jason. She holds these close to her heart and hopes that they will be passed down through their family.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back