Identified! SC - Jason Patrick Callahan, Myrtle Beach, missing since 1995

If the records I have looked at are correct, he and Heather Elvis went to the same HS Soccasatee. :(. Much different times, but just a thought.
We would have been in school at the same time, so I searched my Socastee yearbooks and found plenty of Callahans (some I knew), but no Jason or Patrick. Then, I saw where someone posted his freshman photo on FB and said it was from Myrtle Beach HS. FWIW.

Every time I see another picture of Jason, it makes me sadder and sadder. I don't want that smiling, happy face to be gone. He snuck his way into my heart. But I do want answers for his mother and that's the most important thing and if he is indeed Grateful Doe, to give him his ID back.

Also, for those asking about filing a missing person's report. When I was 16 back in 1989, I ran away with my boyfriend. My mother called the cops and they told her there was nothing they could do, so I believe the police would have been even less helpful when Jason's mother tried to get help finding her son.

His death is so tragic, and the years spent without a name or a resting place add to the sadness. It feels like he's my son, brother, friend, and a kid in my youth group, and so there is grief in my heart too. I'm just so thankful that Jason HAS a mother that he can go home to. I wish that I could hug her and tell her how much her son was loved by all of us.

His death is so tragic, and the years spent without a name or a resting place add to the sadness. It feels like he's my son, brother, friend, and a kid in my youth group, and so there is grief in my heart too. I'm just so thankful that Jason HAS a mother that he can go home to. I wish that I could hug her and tell her how much her son was loved by all of us.

If (& I am thinking when) it is determined that Grateful Doe is Jason Callahan, we can send notes, cards & flowers & surely that will be a comfort to his mom. What an ambiguous state for her now, after all these years, waiting to learn if her son died so long ago. Can you imagine the emotion finding out that so many people were searching to bring him home?

I hated reading comments (not here) questioning her actions. The lady was busy raising children, probably working, dealing with divorce & hoping beyond hope that one day, Jason would contact her. We web sleuths, scour the media & have so much more background to stories. Most people are just busy living their daily lives, catching a little local & a little national news. In the real world, I can easily see how she never would have heard about Grateful Doe.

It's exciting to see this (most likely) coming together. Who is writing books?

I hated reading comments (not here) questioning her actions. The lady was busy raising children, probably working, dealing with divorce & hoping beyond hope that one day, Jason would contact her.

I think those of us who questioned her were acting on preliminary information. I know at first when I heard about this, and that she hadn't filed for 20 years, I was flabbergasted and in awe. I am a mother myself and it would kill me if my child and I ever lost touch. Anyway - not really an excuse for judging this lady, just maybe an explanation for those of us who spoke out against it. Remember, when the news article first came out, it said "she waited 20 years to file the report, no other explanation was offered." .. so.. we had zero info to go on.

This is incredible sleuthing, and you should be so proud of your work here.

I saw Websleuths got a mention on the FB page:

"The admins of this page did not solve this case. We've done what can, but we just happen to run a Facebook page. Dozens of others have spent countless hours working on this case on WebSleuths, and spreading word on Imgur, Reddit, and the PT forum, among other sites. If/when Grateful Doe is identified, it will be because of a collaborative effort of many, many, people over the last 20 years. You all know you are. smile emoticon The case finally reached the right people. And if anyone is to be given credit for solving the case, it should me Micah, Steve, Isaac, Mark, and Jason's mom for coming forward with the information they have that will hopefully lead to giving him back his name. Thank you all for what you have done. - A"

Greymetal got a special mention in the comments too.

https://www.facebook.com/GratefulDoe?ref=ts&fref=ts

I saw Websleuths got a mention on the FB page:

"The admins of this page did not solve this case. We've done what can, but we just happen to run a Facebook page. Dozens of others have spent countless hours working on this case on WebSleuths, and spreading word on Imgur, Reddit, and the PT forum, among other sites. If/when Grateful Doe is identified, it will be because of a collaborative effort of many, many, people over the last 20 years. You all know you are. smile emoticon The case finally reached the right people. And if anyone is to be given credit for solving the case, it should me Micah, Steve, Isaac, Mark, and Jason's mom for coming forward with the information they have that will hopefully lead to giving him back his name. Thank you all for what you have done. - A"

Greymetal got a special mention in the comments too.

https://www.facebook.com/GratefulDoe?ref=ts&fref=ts

I'm curious to know, how did greymetal find the IL Jason pix? Did they know Jason?

She pushed the story and LE images through social media and some previous roommates came forward and provided the photos.

*Sent from an Etch-a-Sketch*

Hi, just wanted to say something about parents not reporting their adult children as missing...when I worked in health care many years I met so many people who hadn't seen one of their adult kids for many years, sometimes for decades, and they didn't think of them as missing. They would simply say something along the lines of "I have a son (or daughter) but I don't have any idea where they are, they took off long ago and I haven't heard from them for years".

They didn't think of them as missing, as they were young adults who'd voluntarily left home to wander or seek a new life, they hadn't disappeared under suspicious circumstances. They didn't think of them as endangered or dead, they seemed to take the view that their family member was alive but simply "out there somewhere", especiially if their adult child was known to enjoy a wandering type of life style in the past, for example, traveling to work at/ follow carnivals, or roaming the country with a biker gang, etc.

One personal experience--my brother was one of those who would simply take off sometimes, not contact any one for long periods, then suddenly turn up. When my dad called LE once to try and report him missing during a particularly long stretch without communication, they would hardly talk to my dad, much less take a report-- my dad was simply told, "he's an adult, he can be out of touch if he wants to, for as long as he wants". Their view seemed to be that an adult leaving voluntarily, no suspicious circumstances, wasn't really considered "missing", at least from an LE standpoint.

If Jason was into drugs or she suspected he was, his mom may have thought he was locked up and she would hear from him when he got out....always hoping when the phone rang, it would be him. JMO

Confirmation here from Jason's Mom, that Jason is Jason/Jay from the real photo's. Now we wait for confirmation or for him to be ruled out as Grateful Doe.

We talked with Callahan's mother, who did not want to go on camera, but told us, "I am just waiting for everything to be put together to see if it is my son, to see if it is a positive match."

Callahan's mother also confirmed that the photos of the man named Jason posted to the Grateful Doe Facebook page are those of her son, Jason Callahan.

http://www.wset.com/story/27861539/myrtle-beach-police-opening-investigation-into-grateful-doe

Oh Jason, "what a long, strange trip its been" buddy. But in the words of Jerry Garcia himself:

Its a far gone by lullaby
Sung many years ago
Mama mama many worlds I've come
Since I've first left home
Going home, going home,
By the water side I will lay my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul. Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.

I find this posted message about credit to be in poor taste. It completely leaves out and discounts the work that has been done by a very thorough, devoted group of law enforcement and medical examiner staff among others this last 20 years. I dont even know what to say. JMVHO, but perhaps the issue of "credit" should be tabled.

Just consider that without decent composites of this young man's face and professionals who never gave up, none of this would have been possible.

Oh Jason, "what a long, strange trip its been" buddy. But in the words of Jerry Garcia himself:

Its a far gone by lullaby
Sung many years ago
Mama mama many worlds I've come
Since I've first left home
Going home, going home,
By the water side I will lay my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul. Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.

Brb, crying :anguish:

Attachments

• 6453969_G.jpg
    6453969_G.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 530
Confirmation here from Jason's Mom, that Jason is Jason/Jay from the real photo's. Now we wait for confirmation or for him to be ruled out as Grateful Doe.

http://www.wset.com/story/27861539/myrtle-beach-police-opening-investigation-into-grateful-doe

If it is him and this is a match, it comforts me to know he had a mom who loves him and a good family who cared about him. It was not too long ago that we were thinking he was bounced around in foster care and no one missed him. :rose:

If it is him and this is a match, it comforts me to know he had a mom who loves him and a good family who cared about him. It was not too long ago that we were thinking he was bounced around in foster care and no one missed him. :rose:

I have been thinking this.

If he is Grateful Doe, I will find comfort in the fact that he had a family who loved him, and good friends who cared about him. He loved life and had lots of fun.

Those are precious things and much more than most of us dared to hope that Grateful Doe had experienced in his short life.

The only reason credit should be discussed is as a way to give people hope that any case is solvable. EVERYTHING helps. Ruled out names make the possible list smaller. Tweaking composites may trigger memories. Even just posting "I really wish we could figure out who this kid is" brings things to the top and thus more reads to threads. Nothing is done in a vacuum. LE, posters, families, friends and other people all contribute. This isn't about credit, it's about people.

Just my 2 cents, but this isn't about getting credit for the solve, it's about getting the solution.

I get what you are saying, but I really think "credit" is the wrong approach. It has taken a village and it can happen again. People with cold MP cases in their lives can find a place, like this one, like FB, like reddit, like imugr, where they can get their story told and have a dozen, a hundred, a thousand people willing to help. And eventually it can lead to a resolution.

Once Jason is ruled in/out against GDD, the story becomes the family's to tell. That's when the loved ones get to decide what they want to know and what they want to share about all of it. And part of that decision making will be what they want to share with all of us. jmvho.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezel
Back