SC SC - Jeremy Grice, 4, North Augusta, 22 Nov 1985

I remember this case. I was 18 in '85 and lived across the river in Augusta, GA. I now live across the Savannah river in Aiken Co, North Augusta, SC Aiken area.

My hinky meter is off the charts as I believe this the work of family and not a stranger. JMO

Poor wee one :angel:

I always hate to think it is the family, or someone in the family, because I just cannot wrap my head around how someone could do something like that. However, this sounds very much like the Mariah Woods case that just happened this year. I lost a lot of sleep over that case. I was so sure she was taken by someone and hopeful that the amount of effort LE was putting into things would mean she would be found alive. My husband disagreed and swore from the beginning it was the family, and he was right. How can you be unsure if your kid is in the bed at night or not? So perhaps you don't read him stories or help put him to bed, but surely you see him walk into the room and can feel certain when you tell police he is in there. The child was 4. I don't see him leaving through a window at night or even sneaking out of a house. Most kids that age are terrified to go outside in the dark alone.

I always hate to think it is the family, or someone in the family, because I just cannot wrap my head around how someone could do something like that. However, this sounds very much like the Mariah Woods case that just happened this year. I lost a lot of sleep over that case. I was so sure she was taken by someone and hopeful that the amount of effort LE was putting into things would mean she would be found alive. My husband disagreed and swore from the beginning it was the family, and he was right. How can you be unsure if your kid is in the bed at night or not? So perhaps you don't read him stories or help put him to bed, but surely you see him walk into the room and can feel certain when you tell police he is in there. The child was 4. I don't see him leaving through a window at night or even sneaking out of a house. Most kids that age are terrified to go outside in the dark alone.

Hello Neighbor, I think your hubby is correct and we will never know unless someone confesses.
Justice for Jeremy has long been delayed.

Trace Evidence just did a podcast on Jeremy's case. This was the first time I heard of his case. I hope this will get his case out in the open and maybe some new leads.

What a baffling case. I wonder why they say the neighbors account is unsubstantiated. I do I find strange that they would say they saw a 4 year old bearfoot outside alone, and didn't check see if he was ok, or find his parents and get him back home safe. MOO

I feel the mother wasn’t involved in this poor boys disappearance. That she was doing shift work makes more sense that she slept in and didn’t find him gone until 10am.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-25_15-21-42.jpeg
    upload_2020-11-25_15-21-42.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 27
New article:
35 years later: Jeremy Grice missing child case remains unsolved

Jeremy's mother "...was later awakened at 10 a.m. by the cries of Jeremy’s 7-month-old sister. After tending to her daughter, Donna realized Jeremy was not in the home...

Jeremy’s mother told police that it was “odd” that Jeremy would have been outside [as reported by a neighbor] because of the severe inclement weather, an incident report by the sheriff’s office states. She pointed out to officers Jeremy left his favorite jacket and shoes in his room. Also, the dog he was reportedly seen playing with was known to always stay by his side. The dog was still home...

As of Nov. 18, 2020, the sheriff’s office reports that Jeremy’s case is still an ongoing investigation, but there have not been any significant leads in recent years...
anyone with any information that could assist in Jeremy’s case to contact the sheriff’s office at 803-648-6811."

There is quite a bit more in the article.
I noticed in the police report shown at the bottom of the article, it wasn't known if he was wearing a shirt.
Did his stepfather not know what he was wearing when he said he brought him to bed?

Jeremy James Grice – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Jeremy resided in a mobile home on Miller Street in the Bath area of North Augusta, South Carolina in 1985. He lived with his mother, stepfather and baby half-sister at the time. His mother came home at 1:00 a.m. on November 21, after working a late shift. She went to sleep, then woke up at 7:00 a.m. to make coffee for her husband before he went to work. On her way back to bed, she stopped and checked in Jeremy's room. She didn't actually see him, but the blankets on his bed were pulled up and she assumed he was asleep. He often burrowed under the covers when he slept.

A neighbor saw Jeremy standing by the mailbox outside of his family's home near their mailbox at 8:45 a.m. He had his dog and his bicycle with him and appeared be waiting for the school bus, but he didn't have school that day. His mother was awakened at 10:00 a.m. by the cries of her baby daughter, and at this time she realized Jeremy wasn't in the house. His dog, which usually went everywhere Jeremy went, was still in the house, but there was no sign of Jeremy, and his shoes and his favorite jacket were left behind.

The weather on that day was cold and rainy. Extensive air and ground searches were unsuccessful. Investigators also drained two local ponds in an effort to uncover evidence as to Jeremy's whereabouts, but nothing was located. Authorities believe he was abducted by a non-family member.

Child serial killer William Ernest Downs was questioned in Jeremy's case and also in the case of Tiffany Nelson, a nine-year-old girl who disappeared from Augusta, Georgia in June 1994. Her remains were found in June 2005. A photo of Downs is posted with this case summary. He denies knowledge of both cases, and he would have been only a teenager at the time Jeremy disappeared. He has never been charged in connection with either Jeremy's disappearance or Tiffany's murder, and authorities are uncertain whether he was involved.

Jeremy's family believes he was abducted by someone from the local neighborhood and did not wander away from home. They stated he enjoyed riding his four-wheeler in 1985. His case remains unsolved.

161604186_3835442419832190_7351092484338607630_o.jpg

This was posted up on a Facebook Missing Person's page. I wish they would have also posted up the image for 6A. Anyway, it has a bit more information about the case. It doesn't mention the neighbor seeing Jeremy by the mailbox. And it explains more about the peeking into his bedroom to check on him.

I graduated from high school with Jeremy's father, Ray. I remember when it happened back in 1985. I now live in Augusta, Ga. This case has always haunted me. I would love for it to be solved.
This case has always bothered me. May I ask what type of person Ray was? I know a news reporter is trying to find him to do an updated report on Jeremy.

As they say, I don't think it was a member of the family.. the occasion makes the thief.. it's a similar concept, perhaps some psychopath who unfortunately is never missing saw it alone and took it away and I think it is no longer near his house ... I just hope that when he passed away he didn't suffer so much...
rest in peace

I've been familiar with this case since at least the early 1990's if not before. It has always baffled me. I remember going into Leveritts Shoes when it still existed in Aiken, SC and Jeremy's step-mom was working there. (I didn't know at first who she was). Jeremy's missing flier was taped to the check-out counter and a little girl saw it and asked her mom about it all. When she did that, Jeremy's step-mom very nicely said who she was and I'll never forget that in the most cheerful, seemingly unconcerned tone she said, "We just hope someone has him and are taking good care of him." Her demeanor shocked me so much that I remember it all these years later. I detected zero concern or sadness and it has always bothered me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back