GUILTY SC - Jessica Blackham for abandoning newborn, Greenville, Feb 2011

I wonder if the 4 year old was there when this happened. It was a performance of the Ringling Bros. Circus. That's family-oriented, kid-friendly entertainment. Hard to envision an adult going to the circus and leaving her 4 year old with a sitter. So were they sitting in the stands, labor began/water broke and she excused herself to the ladies room?? I just can't fathom how this whole thing went down.

I just want to know why......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110209...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNzY3dvbWFuYWNjdXM-

SC woman accused of leaving newborn in toilet

"A young, married mother faces charges Tuesday of giving birth in a toilet at a South Carolina sports and concert arena and leaving the choking newborn boy to die.

Jessica Blackham was arrested after she came to the Greenville police station accompanied by family members. Police Chief Terri Wilfong said the 25-year-old from Easley has a 4-year-old child and no criminal record. "The family is very cooperative with us," Wilfong said. "Their concern is the safety of the child."

Blackham is charged with two counts of felony child abuse and one count of unlawful neglect toward a child. If convicted on all charges, she could face up to 50 years in prison...."

and

".... The baby was found suffering from hypothermia..."

more at link

I heard about this on Nancy Grace....She'd said the poor little baby was in critical condition - it didn't sound good but I see he's improved.

And yeah, what was she thinking? She was at the circus that nite! (Saw the video on NG)

Her mugshot's here

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The woman believed to have given birth to a baby she abandoned in a toilet at the BI-LO Center in Greenville has been arrested, and two of her family members ended up handcuffed Tuesday after their angry confrontation with a WYFF 4 news crew.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/26794279/detail.html

ahhh... i see that they found the egg donor that is responsible for this. there is another thread for this from earlier... horrible. she had better not get to take the baby back. this made me have to walk away for awhile... :/

I'm sure there is a story here, but I'm sorry - shouldn't matter who the father is - it's not a natural maternal instinct to leave your newborn baby in a public toilet. It's just not.

i agree that its not natural but i suppose if she doesnt have any other way to support herself or other child or the husband would hurt her then i can see where she may have made a really stupid decision that she should go to jail for... from the looks of her booking photo i didnt get the impression that she is a very big person (i think her face looks gaunt/hollow) and it said that the baby was 6lbs. --- i have never had a baby so i dont know about this, but wouldnt that be sorta hard to conceal?

eta: there is no way that i would believe that she was not aware of her pregnancy either...no way...

Is she not talking :waitasec:
Was she abused, Mentally off balance? WTF

If it is just a case of could not handle it for any reason
Then you go to the nearest hospital and get help.
You dont do that chit. YES the world has gone mad :maddening:

Reading comments on the local news' website on fb: https://www.facebook.com/WYFF4/posts/125361087535378

Hope it's okay to post as it's their official comments page. Quite a few people say they worked with her at kmart and had no idea she was pregnant.

Really, really check out posts by "R Jones". Makes a lot more sense. May she rot.

I agree Nellie. She better not get 'reunited' with that child. That would be sick. I know how wonderful it is to think that all families can be re-united---but it is just not true.

How would that baby ever get over finding out that his mommy left him in a dirty public toilet bowl to die, and then went back out to watch the circus clowns with the older brother?

I agree Nellie. She better not get 'reunited' with that child. That would be sick. I know how wonderful it is to think that all families can be re-united---but it is just not true.

How would that baby ever get over finding out that his mommy left him in a dirty public toilet bowl to die, and then went back out to watch the circus clowns with the older brother?

She didn't even take her 4 year old to the circus, she went with her sister. May she ROT!

There just is no excuse in the world! How could a woman look at a helpless infant and leave it to die in a toilet?

This story horrified me and disturbed me beyond words. Women in this country are fortunate enough to have birth control available at every convenience store, the right to choose to continue the pregnancy...or not, abortion is legal and readily available. She could have dropped him off at any safe haven location and simply walked away. Yet she chose to leave him and forget him like he was a bowel movement.

Let her ROT

I hope this babies daddy wants him, will love him and priotect him always, if not I hope he can be adopted and I hope they terminate her parental rights ASAP and gets the full 50 years in prison.

SC police laud workers for saving child in toilet

A 24-year-old married mother of a 4-year-old faces charges of giving birth to the 6-pound boy and leaving him in the toilet to die.

http://www.mail.com/news/us/185852-...-saving-child-toilet.html#.7518-stage-hero1-3

thanks for the update... sounds as tho her family may be outraged with her too... i hope they are - i hope someone in the family cares about this baby - they couldnt all be as bad as her ( i hope ) like i said earlier, i dont have kids but i just dont see how on gods green earth that a woman could carry a baby to term and not have developed any "maternal" instincts towards her own newborn... unfreakin'believable... not to make any excuses for her cause she needs to be locked up and not near any children until her mental faculties are evaluated, kwim??

Reading comments on the local news' website on fb: https://www.facebook.com/WYFF4/posts/125361087535378

Hope it's okay to post as it's their official comments page. Quite a few people say they worked with her at kmart and had no idea she was pregnant.

Really, really check out posts by "R Jones". Makes a lot more sense. May she rot.

let me first say that i dont feel any sympathy for this girl, but from the comments on that board -- shes not getting any sympathy from anyone, i bet she is starting to feel the sting of her choices and the likely jail term isnt going to get any better. hope for her sake that her family sticks with her...

thanks for the update... sounds as tho her family may be outraged with her too... i hope they are - i hope someone in the family cares about this baby - they couldnt all be as bad as her ( i hope ) like i said earlier, i dont have kids but i just dont see how on gods green earth that a woman could carry a baby to term and not have developed any "maternal" instincts towards her own newborn... unfreakin'believable... not to make any excuses for her cause she needs to be locked up and not near any children until her mental faculties are evaluated, kwim??

IMO She should never be able to reproduce again. I am hoping she is in prison ATLEAST until she is no longer in her child bearing years

IMO She should never be able to reproduce again. I am hoping she is in prison ATLEAST until she is no longer in her child bearing years

Nancy Grace said she could go down for attempted murder. That would carry a pretty hefty sentence. But I fear this woman will come up with some excusepile about drugs or depression or childhood trauma or whatever, and weasel out of this with just a stint in the nut hut.

How is this medically possible, for someone not to notice (ie, the sister). How do you give birth in a restroom stall, where no doubt other people were. Placenta? Blood loss? You don't just stop bleeding once you have a baby. Labor?

My goodness - so many questions. Was she in the stall for awhile? blood all over the floor? The scene must have been something out of a horror movie.

How does this happen in this day and age?

Bless you little one.

Mel

How is this medically possible, for someone not to notice (ie, the sister). How do you give birth in a restroom stall, where no doubt other people were. Placenta? Blood loss? You don't just stop bleeding once you have a baby. Labor?

My goodness - so many questions. Was she in the stall for awhile? blood all over the floor? The scene must have been something out of a horror movie.

Bless you little one.

Mel

Lots of info in this article. Among other things, she's playing the 'amnesia' card.

http://www.wyff4.com/r/26805777/detail.html

Bless you little one.

Mel

Many many moons ago women used to squat in the fields (field workers)
and have a child. so I can see that it can be possible.
BUT...I can not see that she may be normal.
that is another issue.

I wonder how the infant is doing?

"She's been pulling this crap for years," Blackham said
He said he is not the father of the abandoned newborn, but feels badly for the baby. He said he hopes the boy ends up in a loving home.
Blackham said Jessica likes being a mother. He trusted her with their 4-year-old daughter, Katelyn. Blackham said he doesn't know where his daughter is. He said Greenville police told him Katelyn is in Department of Social Services custody, and now DSS is giving him the run around.
Blackham said he doesn't ever want to see Jessica again. He said he "hopes she rots in jail."

well, i think he should tell us how he REALLY feels...LOL

"She's been pulling this crap for years," Blackham said
He said he is not the father of the abandoned newborn, but feels badly for the baby. He said he hopes the boy ends up in a loving home.
Blackham said Jessica likes being a mother. He trusted her with their 4-year-old daughter, Katelyn. Blackham said he doesn't know where his daughter is. He said Greenville police told him Katelyn is in Department of Social Services custody, and now DSS is giving him the run around.
Blackham said he doesn't ever want to see Jessica again. He said he "hopes she rots in jail."

well, i think he should tell us how he REALLY feels...LOL
I wonder if he is going to try really hard to get his daughter back.
I hope so. because I a very Leary of foster care. I do know some foster parents are great.

Pulling what crap? Amnesia? And yet he says she is a good mother, so I am confused.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishman
Back