SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in other words, he agrees he deserves to be disbarred.
I mean, he's got bigger fish to fry. He knows he's spending years and years in prison at this point, with a hell of a lot more prison time likely on the horizon.

Just no reason to fight something you have absolutely no chance of winning, especially considering it's the least of his worries.

Totally scientific and fascinating if you have the stomach:

Joseph Scott Morgan (True Crime with Nancy Grace) is one of America’s leading experts on applied forensics — in this podcast he is interviewed by Jackie Howard and gives a fascinating (albeit medically detailed) explanation of exhumation (I.e., procedure, the science, challenges, timing) and what they may learn from disinterring Gloria Satterfield. Highly recommend — hear it from a G.O.A.T. on the realm of death.

I mean, he's got bigger fish to fry. He knows he's spending years and years in prison at this point, with a hell of a lot more prison time likely on the horizon.

Just no reason to fight something you have absolutely no chance of winning, especially considering it's the least of his worries.
IMO, it also seems AM and those around him are more invested in preserving as much as possible of his wealth (which he and they apparently believe they can still accomplish) than in preserving his freedom (which it seems they understand he has lost).

Misconduct Charges Against Alex Murdaugh Included Boat Crash Antics At Hospital

In February, after the South Carolina Supreme Court Office of Disciplinary Counsel notified Alex Murdaugh that he had been formally charged with six counts of professional misconduct — and that the commission would be fast-tracking his disbarment — Murdaugh tried to stop the court from going forward with the proceedings, according to documents obtained by FITSNews.

“There is simply no reason to rush this case,” Murdaugh’s attorney Jim Griffin wrote in a motion Feb. 22, noting that a hearing would interfere with Murdaugh’s Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination in his criminal cases.

Griffin reminded the court that Murdaugh’s license to practice law had already been suspended and that Murdaugh was currently being detained at Richland County Detention Center “unable to post a $7 million bond.”

Even if he were “somehow” to be released from jail, Griffin wrote, Murdaugh would be required to comply with all state laws.

In other words, there would be no danger that Murdaugh would be practicing law and therefore this matter could wait until after his criminal cases were adjudicated.

The ODC disagreed.

Sixteen Clients …
The commission’s formal allegations against Murdaugh shed a little more light on Murdaugh’s use of the so-called “Forge accounts.”

In 2015 and 2018, Murdaugh opened two separate accounts meant to mimic a legitimate agency lawyers frequently use to manage annuities and structured settlements for clients.

According to the commission, Murdaugh was the only person authorized on those accounts.

Continued

Murdaugh allegedly instructed the firm’s accounting staff to issue checks from the trust account into these fake accounts under the guise that he was creating accounts for clients at the real Forge Consulting LLC.

The accounting staff required a client’s approval before issuing these checks — because the money belonged to the client — so Murdaugh “fraudulently altered disbursement sheets to reflect client authorization.”

He is accused of forging clients’ names on the documents and lying to other clients about what signing the form meant.

Murdaugh is also accused of bypassing PMPED’s policy completely and submitting disbursement sheets to the firm’s accounting staff without including client signatures or “any client authorization at all.”

According to footnotes in the commission’s filing, the ODC investigation has found that Murdaugh misappropriated around $2.9 million in client and law firm funds and “negatively impacted approximately 16 clients through the use of the bogus ‘Forge’ bank accounts.”

ODC is “still investigating the exact amount of funds that Respondent misappropriated from PMPED.”

Chris W.’
The commission also looked at Murdaugh’s alleged attempt to divert $792,000 in fees away from his law firm.

Murdaugh was one of three attorneys to represent a couple identified in the documents as “D.F.” and “A.F.”

In January 2021, the court awarded $1.5 million to D.F. and $4 million to the estate of A.F.

Murdaugh and PMPED’s share of the fees for this case was $792,000.

Instead of the fee being directed to the law firm per protocol, Murdaugh asked his co-counsel, Bamberg County attorney Chris Wilson — a close friend and plane-mate of Murdaugh — to make the check out to him.

Murdaugh told Wilson that PMPED was aware of this and had approved the disbursement. According to one of the 15 state grand jury indictments against Murdaugh, Murdaugh also told Wilson that this was because he was “structuring his fees” to keep the money away from the plaintiffs in the boat crash case.

On May 19, 2021 — less than three weeks before Maggie and Paul Murdaugh were murdered — a paralegal from PMPED contacted Chris Wilson’s staff to “inquire about the corresponding disbursement sheet and the missing attorney’s fees.”

He brought up Richard Breitbart.

“The lawyer in Lexington that stole $6.5 million from people?” Alex told his brother. “From their retirement accounts. Not money he made in cases. I’m not saying there’s any big difference, but there’s a little bit of difference.”

This conversation seems to give some insight into how Murdaugh was perhaps able to justify what he allegedly did.

“Not money (HE)made in cases”.

That stuck out as if the client diesn’t deserve the money, the lawyer winning the case does.

Makes me think that is how it’s been done for decades.

Good summaries here. I highly recommend watching the special if you’re able to. There were many photos and videos I had not seen before. The biggest piece of new information that stuck out to me was that Paul’s body was half inside the kennel and half outside the kennel. So that tells me that he was either entering or exiting the kennel when shot.

Scroll down for Murdaugh episodes:
BBM
Oh my, Wow! That really bothers me.

I didn't learn anything new /earth shattering and really didn't expect to.
HOWEVER, the two locals who were interviewed were Gloria's life-long best friend and a gal for whom Gloria worked part-time, as was the trooper investigating Stephen Smith's death. Here's what they had to say:
  • In twenty plus years of working for the Murdaugh's - Gloria never got a paid vacation
  • AM never visited Gloria after her 'fall' and MM only once
  • The Murdaughs would routinely call Gloria for needs- and she would go do whatever they asked. In other words- she was 'on-call' for them
  • The trooper never believed it was a hit and run AND the second gal (above) believes he was hit with a bat (as one might see along a row of rural mailboxes) from a vehicle and that Paul was among the group involved.
  • The trooper (who covers several counties) felt he was being tailed/ watched whenever he entered 'Murdaugh country'.
  • Everyone interviewed seems relieved that the Murdaugh dynasty is over- and that the entire truth will eventually be unraveled.
  • NO speculation on the reason for AM's thievery.

So the Rich, underpaying and routinely exploiting The Help. Not too far of a stretch for AM to murder GS for big money.
JMO

Good summaries here. I highly recommend watching the special if you’re able to. There were many photos and videos I had not seen before. The biggest piece of new information that stuck out to me was that Paul’s body was half inside the kennel and half outside the kennel. So that tells me that he was either entering or exiting the kennel when shot.

Scroll down for Murdaugh episodes:

PM was killed with two blasts from a shotgun. Makes you wonder if AM (accidentally) also killed a dog(s)?
JMO

Other than asking a family member to put flowers on their graves, Alex did not mention his wife Maggie or his son Paul’s killings in the [121] recordings.
[AM] does say the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division has information there is “no connection” between the Murdaugh family and Stephen Smith’s death.
Obviously that can be taken with a grain of salt.

We have had questions about the shootings such as why two guns? Why long guns? Were the bodies moved? Distance between shooter and victim and what that might tell us?

Again, if you have the stomach, Joseph Scott Morgan (True Crime with Nancy Grace), one of America’s leading experts on applied forensics, discusses how the evidence can answer these questions. Just FYI.

Thanks for this @LetsSolvIt! Very interesting. We know the bodies were found 15 feet apart, and Maggie was first shot at a distance as if “running away” (not sure how they determine this) then administered a “kill shot” to the back of the head at close range while lying face down on the ground. According to the Discovery+ special, Paul’s body was found half in, half out of the kennels as if he was surprised either coming in or coming out.
The expert in this podcast seems to think that information coupled with the fact that 2 different weapons were used indicates that there were 2 shooters.
He also tactfully says that being shot at close range in the head with long range weapons as both Maggie and Paul were would essentially blow their heads off.
Early reports suggested there was evidence that the scene had been staged; he talks about his uncertainty that the murders took place where the bodies were found, but doesn’t state why he questions that,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mollymac94