SC SC - Ronald MacBay, 20, Charleston, 11 June 1980

Question for Mr. Manning: It is odd saying this considering the circumstances but Ronnie was a good looking guy. Was Folly Island a gay retreat back then also? Could it be that whoever that was that said he was falling down drunk and bummed a cig thought he might get lucky and tagged along with Ronnie only to be rejected? Someone out looking to experiment might think news of his advances might spread. Such things were not as accepted 20 years ago as they are now. Why was that person out by themselves on the beach - maybe known place to hang out if you are looking to hook up?

I have to wonder also about that mystery man seen by the girl. Some butch women can look pretty manly - could a woman be seeking revenge for a broken heart on behalf of a straight female friend? Was he a heartbreaker? I have known some very charming cute drunks and you know some of us women always looking for a project...

It seems it would be helpful to have some pictures of Ronnie alive from around that time so that anyone who may have been in the area at the time is able to put a face with a rumor.

Sorry about your brother. For someone to die like that with their whole life infront of them is a tragedy. Problems at that age seem small compared to problems that can happen to us later in life.

But he did have a strong need to consume a very large amount of alcohol that night--a fatal dose basically. Why? I don't believe that the responsibility for your brother's death lies ahywhere other than himself. But the bar was reprehensible for serving/allowing him to consume so much alcohol.

How far was his house from where this person gave him the cigarette? If it was a short walk, isnt it possible that he smoked the cigarette on the way home and put it out in his ashtray? that would explain the one different cigarette.
Also, isnt it possible that when he came home, his door didnt completely shut (due to the weather that was mentioned) and that the person who came over, either expected or unexpected, noticed it open when they knocked and walked in? The boss said he saw him passed out in that position many times before, so he could have been passed out already, not knowing this person was in his house and this person for reasons unknown took advantage of a situation...?? maybe the gun was just sitting there for this person to see, and maybe your brother had cleaned it earlier in the day or week explaining the cleaning kit sitting out and isnt it possible that this unknown person not knowing about it jamming, jammed it and then broke that piece in 3 pieces that was mentioned trying to unjam it to reload it?
the theory of him owing someone money seems more realistic to me than that stranger following him home. Also, I find it really strange that knowing what happened there the night before, when hearing noises sounding like someone walking around in the apartment the next night he didnt get up to at least look. Just my thoughts and .02!!
I wish you all the best in solving this heartbreaking mystery!!

Sounds like a sad but interesting case. I did a quick google search and didn't find an update. I wonder if there was any movement in this case since the last post in 2004 and why the brother didn't respond to it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back