Schools and gyms on high alert over deadly flesh-eating bugs: MRSA

BTW: My pediatrician predicted the super bugs more than 30 years ago. He said the drug companies weren't putting enough money into research because it wasn't profitable and that resistant strains would emerge from over prescribing the current antibiotics.

MRSA has been around for a long time, I know someone someone who has contracted it and it's horrible. It's been known to be resistant to broad spectrum antibiotics and if left untreated, it can be fatal. Scary, scary stuff.

Oh ABSOLUTELY care should be taken!

it is mentioned on several sites if you google restrooms MRSA: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=restrooms+MRSA&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

or toilets MRSA: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=toilets+MRSA&btnG=Search

don't forget handrails, door handles and tables.

i'm beginning to believe gloves should always be worn when out in public?

naah — too obsessive compulsive, eh?

I don't believe that it's too obsessive compulsive, with my oldest and his skin problem, obsessive compulsive has been our "theme". Thanks for the links about the restrooms, I know once when I worked in a large office the restroom was a breeding ground for some nasty germs (this was when bars of soap were left out for hand washing- yuck!). I have also heard of some infections at tanning salons where the facilities are not properly cleaned. I realize that there are germs everywhere, and exposure to germs is important in building our resistance to them, but we do have to be quite careful nowadays.

Myself, I put some blame on advertising people. Yes, you heard me right. I get *SO* ANGRY lately watching television and the STUPID F'ing fearmongering commercials which are responsible for a generation of non-thinking germaphobes! ANGRY!!! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: Germs are everywhere, and it is *BAD* to overuse anti-microbial agents, it is what causes the germs to grow so strong in the first place, it has been scientifically proven to be so. This means antibacterial soap! In Europe it also means Doctors need to quit throwing anti-biotics at every scrape, cough or sniffle. It also means people need to FINISH THE WHOLE ANTI-BIOTIC COURSE! (My MIL, a microbiologist wouldn't have anti-bacterial soap in the house. Maybe Lysol, bleach, vinegar, but no anti-bacterial hand soap, and more often than not she just used soap or vinegar over the "big guns". She did buy Neosporin though.) In particular I hate the following mindsets portrayed in commerical trends: "Oooo, *BODY SOIL* I must buy this expensive special laundry soap that will more fully clean my clothes of the horrible *BODY SOIL*!!!" Simple laundry detergant is enough to defunkify clothes, maybe with some vinegar, or baking soda, or bleach depending on the kind of clothing. Use Woolite where applicable. " Oh noes!1!1 My little boy touched *gasp* a basketball, and now he's about to touch his little brother!!! EGADS, HE MUST USE THIS MAGICAL GERM KILLING WIPE/LOTION FIRST!!!" *GROWL* "*GASP* Bad odors are caused by germs!!! Oh noes!11 I must have this spray to safegaurd my home!!" You cannot F'ing "clean" bad odors out of the air with a magic potion spray! It is either covering the smell, or anesthetizing your nose so you don't notice the odor anymore. Not to mention what exposure to all those chemicals are doing to our health! I don't use much scent in my home at all, the Mr. has asthma. Maybe incense or an oil diffuser sometimes. I wonder how many people would appreciate a real rose's scent now, (or any fruit or flower for that matter) since there are so many fake fruit and flower scents out there? (ETA: Nope, I don't have anti-bacterial handsoap in my house. I do have Tea Tree soap, for treating cuts and the like however.)

Why yes, this is a pet peeve of mine, why do you ask? :crazy:

I agree with most of what you said altho I am sure not that worked up about it, KatK.

I think more research should have gone into longterm use of antibiotics and antibacterial items. Still..here we are. The back to basics and common sense approach is neccessary.

I still appreciate the fragrance of a rose in my home. I learned a long time ago...if your house smells...something is wrong and you need to fix it...not cover it up. Rather like when your body is in pain...it is an alert system. Good old fashioned scrubbing with soap and water takes care of most odors in the home. If not, the problem is larger and needs to be addressed.

Locker rooms have always bred fungus and other problems. I am not surprised. People do things in locker rooms they would not do at home. Shower with strangers, throw sweaty clothes around on every possible surface, and not take proper precautions to know what lurks because of poor maintenence of a public facility. Too many people have not learned that washing their hands is mandatory...so what would make me think the rest of their bodies would be any better?!

Do I sound germaphobic? Probably. At home, I live comfortably with my own germs tho. However, I work with John Q. Public's paperwork and cash. It is a standard rule in my office to wash your hands frequently! I don't even want to know what is lurking on money passed from so many people. Another thing people should be aware of.

I hope I didn't irk you KatK with my questions/opinions? I really am beginning to wonder if we should all be wearing latex gloves because as you pointed out the use of antibacterial products is a big problem too. Our doctor warned us about antibacterial products years ago and I only keep a bottle of antibacterial soap by the bathroom sinks (and I know my kids don't wash as frequently as they should! :)) I have been told that salt (baking soda), white vinegar and lemon all have germ killing capabilities and we have implemented all 3 in bathing, cleaning and laundry. I do worry about MRSA to an extent though because I don't want myself or my children to catch this bug- with my oldest and his skin problem, IV antibiotics are not the best plan even under quarantine.

Seriously Searching, I don't think you sound like a germaphobe- I don't know where my money has been (and if I'm not mistaken, the nose is the place where lots of germs gather.)

Anyway, thanks for all the information on MRSA!

No one here has irked me by talking about this and trying to understand! :) :blowkiss:

I'm irked at the fearmongers, breeding paranoia to line their pocketbooks. :furious::banghead::furious:

No one here has irked me by talking about this and trying to understand! :) :blowkiss:

I'm irked at the fearmongers, breeding paranoia to line their pocketbooks. :furious::banghead::furious:

Phew! I am glad it's not me you're irked at! I did want to say that some of us as consumers have not only been feared into buying certain products, we've become quite "brand conscious" and having antibacterial "designer" soap by our sinks is rather commonplace. Being a real "back to basics" kind of gal I got lost way back when the clorox wipes came out! (A bottle of bleach and a rag work just fine for me.:crazy:)

My last comment about money and noses was a joke, so I hope no one took it the wrong way. When I worked in retail, I had the pleasure of people using the last bill in their pocket and when they unrolled it I would kind of get grossed out. I hope no one was offended. :)

Myself, I put some blame on advertising people. Yes, you heard me right. I get *SO* ANGRY lately watching television and the STUPID F'ing fearmongering commercials which are responsible for a generation of non-thinking germaphobes! ANGRY!!! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: Germs are everywhere, and it is *BAD* to overuse anti-microbial agents, it is what causes the germs to grow so strong in the first place, it has been scientifically proven to be so. This means antibacterial soap! In Europe it also means Doctors need to quit throwing anti-biotics at every scrape, cough or sniffle. It also means people need to FINISH THE WHOLE ANTI-BIOTIC COURSE! (My MIL, a microbiologist wouldn't have anti-bacterial soap in the house. Maybe Lysol, bleach, vinegar, but no anti-bacterial hand soap, and more often than not she just used soap or vinegar over the "big guns". She did buy Neosporin though.) In particular I hate the following mindsets portrayed in commerical trends: "Oooo, *BODY SOIL* I must buy this expensive special laundry soap that will more fully clean my clothes of the horrible *BODY SOIL*!!!" Simple laundry detergant is enough to defunkify clothes, maybe with some vinegar, or baking soda, or bleach depending on the kind of clothing. Use Woolite where applicable. " Oh noes!1!1 My little boy touched *gasp* a basketball, and now he's about to touch his little brother!!! EGADS, HE MUST USE THIS MAGICAL GERM KILLING WIPE/LOTION FIRST!!!" *GROWL* "*GASP* Bad odors are caused by germs!!! Oh noes!11 I must have this spray to safegaurd my home!!" You cannot F'ing "clean" bad odors out of the air with a magic potion spray! It is either covering the smell, or anesthetizing your nose so you don't notice the odor anymore. Not to mention what exposure to all those chemicals are doing to our health! I don't use much scent in my home at all, the Mr. has asthma. Maybe incense or an oil diffuser sometimes. I wonder how many people would appreciate a real rose's scent now, (or any fruit or flower for that matter) since there are so many fake fruit and flower scents out there? (ETA: Nope, I don't have anti-bacterial handsoap in my house. I do have Tea Tree soap, for treating cuts and the like however.)

Thank you! I'm a microbiologist and you summed up exactly what I was going to post! No antibacterial soap in my house. Period.

It's the detergent properties of soap that kill the bacteria. Regardless, a small percentage are going to survive. When you add anti-microbials to soap, you are ensuring that the ones that do survive are not only able to survive the detergent but also the antibiotic. Hence, superbugs. It really is survival of the fittest.

When you overuse anti-microbials, you also decimate the bacteria that is supposed to live on your skin. This bacteria is good for you. It can keep the bad bacteria from becoming overpopulated. When you wipe it out, it's like giving over your skin to be a breeding ground to the super strong bad bacteria because those bacteria have less competition for nutrients, etc.

Hey there — i agree with you here.

do you think it's Europe which throws antibiotics at everything? i thought it was America?

the massive amount of stuff one is encouraged to buy (Europe and America) to CLEAN everything is totally over the top, IMO.

wha you've mentioned for cleaning is right, IMO.

we can't, most folk, live in such sterile environments such as suggested by advertising.

Thank you! I'm a microbiologist and you summed up exactly what I was going to post! No antibacterial soap in my house. Period.

It's the detergent properties of soap that kill the bacteria. Regardless, a small percentage are going to survive. When you add anti-microbials to soap, you are ensuring that the ones that do survive are not only able to survive the detergent but also the antibiotic. Hence, superbugs. It really is survival of the fittest.

When you overuse anti-microbials, you also decimate the bacteria that is supposed to live on your skin. This bacteria is good for you. It can keep the bad bacteria from becoming overpopulated. When you wipe it out, it's like giving over your skin to be a breeding ground to the super strong bad bacteria because those bacteria have less competition for nutrients, etc.

Yay! :clap:

:clap::clap: How do you really feel about this? hehe.

I sooo agree about the over prescribing of antibiotics. I think I have only been on them about 4 times in my life, if that. My kids even less.

We are big fans of getting dirty too... farms, pets and such. Jump in the pond to wash off. (okay, the pond part is an exaggeration, but I did that as a kid)

I really doubt the general public is even aware of just how much MRSA is in the community. The long term care home I work in has at least 20 active cases all any given time.

My healthy son got MRSA when he was 12, two summers ago. It was awful. We believe its entry point was a bad case of poison ivy. Our only clue something was really wrong was that this pimple looking bump was SO PAINFUL. He did recover fully.

My goodness....scarier by the minute.....:(

Okay, does anyone else think this might be a form of germ warfare, or am I just paranoid?

We've been dealing with MRSA in the schools in western PA for two years now. It is nothing new. When anyone is admitted to the hospital it is common to include a MRSA test with the labs being done. Common sense hand washing with regular hand soap and water is all anyone needs.

I agree with KatK 100%. I think over use of antibiotics and antibacterial stuff makes everyone more susceptible for disease.

I have breathing problems and I have relatives that I refuse to visit inside their homes because they have scented candles, room deoderants, etc. set out and it makes me short of breath and some give me violent headaches. I can't ride in my daughter's car because of her "forest" of little scented freshner trees. :doh: Sorry, but people should also think about those of us who do have breathing problems when covering their stinky air. ;) Better yet, open some darn windows and let some fresh air in!!:D

Ummmmmmm, my guess would be paranoid.

LOL, Poco. :crazy:

CaliKid I am not laughing at you. I just cracked up at how Poco phrased that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANONstarter
Back