Scores missing in tsunami-like flood in Australia

I live in a suburb of Brisbane and am only 1 kiolometre away from some of the worst flooding.
This was not able to be predicted as it was a flash flood because of all the heavy rain that fell in such a short time on a lot of Qld that morning. The majority of the state has experienced flooding over the last couple of weeks. It has only been described as 'Tsunami like' in the press here so people could grasp what had happened in Toowoomba. The water from Toowoomba flooded down the range and wiped out small towns. There was so much water that only today(thursday) can emergency services get into these places to see if they can find more survivors or retrieve the dead. Most of the survivors had to be rescued from the roof of their homes by helicopters. Our emergency services personnel are heroes as they have risked their lives every day for weeks moving from town to town as they were needed.
We have 11000 people in our suburbs who are completely flooded and another 15000 who are partially flooded and that is just our QLD Capital city of Brisbane and its suburbs....havent heard numbers for the rest of the state. 75 percent of our state is flood affected.
We are an independent and stubborn mob who learnt in the past that it took so long for anyone to get here that we had to band together and help each other. We appreciate the messages of love and support that have been coming in from all over the world.
Us Queenslanders might be down but we are not out....we will rebuild and life will go on.

BBM- This is what I'm talking about!!! I love QLD'ers. The amazing strength and determination to not let this break your spirits and seeing so many people brought together by this is just awesome.

We have made financial contributions to the appeal, but if there is anything else that us further south can do to help, please let me know.
I'm spreading the word on social networking sites but wish I could do more.

Thanks for sharing from a local perspective and take good care of yourself.
((((hugs))))

Hadey, I hope you remain safe! I agree with butwhatif?'s comment about your attitude and resilience. This part of what I posted in the Zahra Baker "Emotional Toll" thread:

But it will all be OK. We know it's part of the harsh but amazing life in Australia. To help you understand this, here is one of Australia's most loved and famous poems. It brings a smile to the faces and hearts of all Aussies and maybe it can help you understand what Australia would have meant to Zahra.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!

(verse 2 of "My Country" by Dorothea Mackellar)

Take care!

For our Sydney members- Just read on FB that a Sydney trucking co has offered their services to take any donated goods up to Brissy. But you need to PM the person through FB.

Same FB page for people searching for loved ones (including animals) :

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-personsanimals-QLD-Floods/101387229936718?v=wall

It was so sad to hear that some elderly people were not evacuating after the warning because they didn't want to leave their fury friends behind.

I hope the people of our country are supporting Australia during this time.

This may sound silly, but as a Keith Urban fan (more like fanatic!) I keep thinking of how much he has done so much for our country in times of need. He supported us after Katrina, the floods in Nashville and many other disasters. He was raised in Queensland.

Prayers to all who are suffering in Australia.

ETA: Not to mention all he does for St. Jude.

Thanks Flakes for that amazing video..I had seen bits of it on Fox News, but this video really captures the unbelievable speed and scope of this tragedy. How terrifying.

Prayers to all of our friends in beautiful Australia as they manage this awful disaster.

It is a very frightening thing that is happening over there...
and[ southern states] are getting snow like the[ east coast states] usually do..and yet?
nobody thinks that there is such a thing as GLOBAL WARMING?

Thanks Flakes for that amazing video..I had seen bits of it on Fox News, but this video really captures the unbelievable speed and scope of this tragedy. How terrifying.

Prayers to all of our friends in beautiful Australia as they manage this awful disaster.

Humans can control many things, but not the weather....:truce:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back