Seaching for Anna - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherlock, or anyone:

Do you remember where that picture originated from? (of the older girl blow drying the younger girls hair) you said it was dated 1974. (link below) Was it on the synanon sight? I have to question that date simply by the blow dryer the girl is using. The pistol style hand held blow dryer wasn't even made until 1971, and it took many years for it to be affordable for "home" use. Hair salons used them long before the general public. Even then, most where white/putty. I don't think we got one like in the picture until at least 1979-80. The flat, rectangular style with a handle where really most popular in the early to mid 70s. I also question the jeans the older girl has on, they appear to have strips in them, and that fad didn't really hit until the late 70's I believe. (if you enlarge the picture you'll see what I mean.) Lastly, I wonder when Johnson baby powder started coming in plastic containers, There is what appears to be a plastic container of it on the shelf. I've looked around on collector sights and can't find a time line, I can remember the metal containers as a kid, (and I'm not ancient yet...LOL) The bandanna in the hair thing was pretty popular even in the late 70's...right before the guys started tying them around their legs.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/shadow205/Museum_01110.jpg

anythoughts?

Sherlock, or anyone:

Do you remember where that picture originated from? (of the older girl blow drying the younger girls hair) you said it was dated 1974. (link below) Was it on the synanon sight? I have to question that date simply by the blow dryer the girl is using. The pistol style hand held blow dryer wasn't even made until 1971, and it took many years for it to be affordable for "home" use. Hair salons used them long before the general public. Even then, most where white/putty. I don't think we got one like in the picture until at least 1979-80. The flat, rectangular style with a handle where really most popular in the early to mid 70s. I also question the jeans the older girl has on, they appear to have strips in them, and that fad didn't really hit until the late 70's I believe. (if you enlarge the picture you'll see what I mean.) Lastly, I wonder when Johnson baby powder started coming in plastic containers, There is what appears to be a plastic container of it on the shelf. I've looked around on collector sights and can't find a time line, I can remember the metal containers as a kid, (and I'm not ancient yet...LOL) The bandanna in the hair thing was pretty popular even in the late 70's...right before the guys started tying them around their legs.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/shadow205/Museum_01110.jpg

anythoughts?

Some good questions. I don't recall metal baby powder, but do remember metal tins for bandaids. Your post brought these questions to mind. The shoes? The little girls gym shoes with the rubber toes. What year was that style? .I recall that being earlier to mid 70's. also the year of the older girls shoes reminds me of shoes my parents wore before they dv'd in 77 or so. I don't see stripes in the older girls jeans. Those were still kind of flaired, or rather boot cut. My recollection only goes from elephant to straight leg. I'm going to guess the pic is earlier than late 70's based on the Farrah/Feathered hair style back then. I think the older girl would have some form of feathers. Also, Annasmom would best remember what Anna resembled with wet hair.

The names on the boxes are difficult to make out. If someone can make them out, a year might be better pinpointed based on the popularity of childrens names for a particular year. Popular names by year are easy to search.

just more talking outloud.

Some good questions. I don't recall metal baby powder, but do remember metal tins for bandaids. Your post brought these questions to mind. The shoes? The little girls gym shoes with the rubber toes. What year was that style? .I recall that being earlier to mid 70's. also the year of the older girls shoes reminds me of shoes my parents wore before they dv'd in 77 or so. I don't see stripes in the older girls jeans. Those were still kind of flaired, or rather boot cut. My recollection only goes from elephant to straight leg. I'm going to guess the pic is earlier than late 70's based on the Farrah/Feathered hair style back then. I think the older girl would have some form of feathers. Also, Annasmom would best remember what Anna resembled with wet hair.

The names on the boxes are difficult to make out. If someone can make them out, a year might be better pinpointed based on the popularity of childrens names for a particular year. Popular names by year are easy to search.

just more talking outloud.

Not sure about the shoes. I was born in 65 and remember having some similar...though I also remember buying some similar for my child a few years ago.

I have a huge computer screen and I enlarged the picture to 150% and it really did look like those pin strip jeans, though maybe it was just pixelated weirdly on my end. The Blow dryer is really what seems weird to me.

Sherlock said that others told her the little girl was named the name on her overalls, I can't really make it out but it ENDS in a Y for sure, may be Emily. None of the boxes visible have a name with a Y at the end, though one box is clearly marked Christian which was Anna's middle name. It appears to be empty, maybe because she holding the contents in her hands?? The box that is sticking out a bit, might be hers, (Or the girls who owns the hairdryer) but is clearly not the same name as printed on the overalls. Also, You would think they would have separate bathrooms for boys and girls. The name Christian is typically a boys name, I found that interesting.

I can't find the original larger picture of above. My guess is the child looks about 5. I have a tall (46" 48lb ) 4 yr old, so my comparison is based on my sons stats. He's in the 95th -100th on both ht and wt. Where was Anna on the stats? It might be easier to compare that way.

I think the girl in the picture should be explored further.

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this so I guess here is as good as any. I've tried to compare Annas ears with those pictured. My late great Aunt told me long before DNA was available, ears were often used for comparison. For example, my son and his father both have attached earlobes. Which is less common than detached. Not sure if that's possible, but it might help eliminate or confirm someone before going further.

Also, the pic of "C". Her lips appear to be full. Were Anna's lips full? I was unable to tell from the pics available.

Praying for an answer to this mystery.

The little girl's ears look very much like Anna's ears. Anna was exactly average as far as growth went. "Full" lips--well, that's hard to define, but I suppose they were. And I had a pair of striped denim overalls in 1972, so we can't date the picture according to when those were in style. I'm glad you're looking at this picture again. It would really help if we had someone from Synanon who would be more forthcoming.

It would really help if we had someone from Synanon who would be more forthcoming.

I received an email from a member here who located a woman who was a girl in Synanon during the period in question. I will try to contact this woman and see if perhaps she can shed some light.

Hi all! I have lurked here for a long while, but really want to start helping! I do have some experience in "sleuthing" as I have successfully located three natural siblings, and my natural parents (one of whom I did not want to find) that I was separated from when I was 5. Three, including myself, were adopted into other families in Utah and Pennsylvania. (A real long, long story, and I still have some "sleuthing" of my own that I may need help with someday, but for now I would like to help others.)

Anyway, I analyzed the picture of the girl from synanon. I used a whole bunch of photo filters on it, and this is what I see:

The name on the little girl's overalls may be Emily or Emmy, but I am actually leaning more toward the word family. If you notice that first letter, it really looks like an f with an a right next to it.

Some of the names on the totes under the bench are: Christian, Danielle, and the one by the girls foot looks like Effie's or Affies's. The one on the very left only has the A N D O, but perhaps was Fernando? The box next to Christian I just cannot make out but looks like it starts with a fancy T or a J.

As a reference, I looked very much like Anna when I was her age (no, I know I am not her, I was fostered in 1970). I had very blond hair, and very brown eyes. As I aged, my hair grew in darker, and my eyes are more of a hazel. I went from being very blond at age 4-5 to being darker haired by 7. My older natural sister was a towhead, and by age 7 had reddish brown hair. My point is that if this photo was taken in 1974-75, Anna's hair could have started to grow in darker.

Hi all! I have lurked here for a long while, but really want to start helping! I do have some experience in "sleuthing" as I have successfully located three natural siblings, and my natural parents (one of whom I did not want to find) that I was separated from when I was 5. Three, including myself, were adopted into other families in Utah and Pennsylvania. (A real long, long story, and I still have some "sleuthing" of my own that I may need help with someday, but for now I would like to help others.)

Anyway, I analyzed the picture of the girl from synanon. I used a whole bunch of photo filters on it, and this is what I see:

The name on the little girl's overalls may be Emily or Emmy, but I am actually leaning more toward the word family. If you notice that first letter, it really looks like an f with an a right next to it.

Some of the names on the totes under the bench are: Christian, Danielle, and the one by the girls foot looks like Effie's or Affies's. The one on the very left only has the A N D O, but perhaps was Fernando? The box next to Christian I just cannot make out but looks like it starts with a fancy T or a J.

As a reference, I looked very much like Anna when I was her age (no, I know I am not her, I was fostered in 1970). I had very blond hair, and very brown eyes. As I aged, my hair grew in darker, and my eyes are more of a hazel. I went from being very blond at age 4-5 to being darker haired by 7. My older natural sister was a towhead, and by age 7 had reddish brown hair. My point is that if this photo was taken in 1974-75, Anna's hair could have started to grow in darker.

I don't know how to multiple quote, so I'll respond all in one to the last few posts.

I don't have any photo filters, but I thought the name looked most like Emmy. I can see where you might find the "fa" in family, I thought "To" in tommy first. Looking again, I thought that first letter might be distorted as a result of a faded crease mark about 2/3rd's the way down the lettering.

I also wonder if the garment was hand made? Was synanon known for that? The apples on the pocket and belt area look hand stitched. The sew on patches were popular during that era. Was there a particular mfg such as sears that might have sold a line of childrens clothing with that style apples to help date the picture? - If we can't find more info from a former member of Synanon. Hopefully we can.....

I spent some time looking at the photo trying to find something that might stick out. Two things stood out. 1) The lower child sized sink. - I'm not sure if a "standard" exists for the counter hts for children but that might help determine a possible age for the child in the photo. And the age of the older girl. 2) It might be me, and my recollection of older appliances with thinner electrical cords, but the cord in the photo appears to be as large as current hair dryers. UL/electrical codes vary by state and CA may have required those safety measures sooner......

My best guess on the names on the boxes from the left:

1) ANDO, ainda, arnda, Linda? Fernando makes sense. Linda seems unlikely as it appears the name would have been too far to the right.
2)Christian
3)Tina, Jane or June
4)Joyous
5)Danielle, Nashelle or Mashelle- as a variant of Michelle.

The picture originated from the synanon.org site. I didn't reach much, but saw that quite a few former members wrote books. They are possible contacts. There were over 20,000 members over time, and the former members who signed the guest book available to visitors ( as opposed to the private area designated for former members only ) seemed to think the place was the best thing since sliced bread.

Is there a list of members somewhere no one has found?

Doogie - you mentioned you had previous contact from a former member who you, and others believed was not forthcoming. Was there more than one contact, and I'm new to this, but would gladly help given a little direction. Maybe contacting some of the authors mentioned at the site? or has that avenue been exhausted.

Annasmom - By full lips, I was thinking about the recent trend a few years ago. "C"s lips looked naturally full and similar to that trend. My apologies for not doing my homework and bringing up the ear comparison. I see it's been discussed in detail previously.

LOL, I never dreamed I would be looking up the history of a blow dryer, but here goes....

http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/Engineering_Graphics/_EG2000/hairdryer/1960-1969.html

:waitasec: LOL! me too. I spent about 2 hours yesterday searching for that exact hairdryer. My brother called and asks me what I was up to and I tell him, "researching the history of the blow dryer". He's like..."WHAT in the h*ll are you doing that for???" LOL

In my humble opinion, that dryer looks like a con-air pro-style. I'm thinking it's a 78' model, but I have been wrong many times before.

I looked at the picture but I don't have any photo filters or anything. I agree that the overalls on the little girl look they say Emily or Emmy. I do not see enough room for family based on the spacing above the pocket. As to the older girls jeans, I think they look stone washed or perhaps they are dark colored jeans (like black) and they are worn looking. I think the hairdryer is metal with silver metal pieces on it. As to the dryer cord I don't know. Since they were into recycling clothing, etc. maybe the cord had been replaced. My husband does this sometimes to keep from buying something new like hairdryer, iron, fans, etc. I want someone who can really zoom in to look at the outlet where the dryer is plugged into the wall. Can you make out anything about it? Also, on the shelf in the top of the picture is something written on a label or something on that shelf. Can anyone read that or is it too small?

I see what you are describing with the label on the shelf, but it's too small for my eyes to read. The name I was told was Emily. I was also told that Christian is a boy, and was given his last name. The teenager married in 1975 and she was born somewhere around 1957.

...Some of the names on the totes under the bench are: Christian, Danielle, and the one by the girls foot looks like Effie's or Affies's.

WWWWHHHAAATTT???? I'd better take a closer look at that!

BTW, welcome Julessleuther. We can always use the extra help here.

Funny that you mentioned that you are not her - I have become so attuned to sniff out all possibilities that the thought had crossed my mind (we have oftened wondered/fantasised that Anna may be visiting this site ala Shawn Hornbeck). I even went so far as to take a very short look into another Anna who was thirty-nine years old, blond with a mole on the face who has been in the news recently - I'll let you all connect the dots on that one. LOL :doh:

Doogie - you mentioned you had previous contact from a former member who you, and others believed was not forthcoming. Was there more than one contact, and I'm new to this, but would gladly help given a little direction. Maybe contacting some of the authors mentioned at the site? or has that avenue been exhausted.

I do not know if the person who stated that this girl was not Anna and identified her as a different girl was being forthright or not, but I do not have any reason to disbelieve him at this point. He could be 100% correct, mistaken or deceitful. That is why us taking a second look at this is a good idea.

I have purposely been laying low on this discussion because I really want to see what you sleuthers can discover (absent any preconceptions or prejudices that I may have that could slant the investigation one way or another). The Synanon angle is as worthy of investigation as any other hypothesises that we have had and I want to make sure it gets the hard look that it deserves. Thanks to everyone for the ongoing great effort!

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this so I guess here is as good as any. I've tried to compare Annas ears with those pictured. My late great Aunt told me long before DNA was available, ears were often used for comparison. For example, my son and his father both have attached earlobes. Which is less common than detached. Not sure if that's possible, but it might help eliminate or confirm someone before going further

Something else I picked out of Rose Cole's thread. This was written by the CA investigator who works on 1979 Jane Doe.

The smallest things that are typically overlooked can be the biggest things in an investigation like this. Something as small as an ear lobe (lobule) can just about rule in or out a potential match.

How?

Well, is it pierced, is the lobule fused or detatched - which is a known herditary trait - do the brothers, sisters or parents have the same characteristi? - There's a guy in Canada (Don't quote me on location) that has been conducting a study for decades on human "ear-prints." His conclusion was that ear-print is just as much a one-of-kind as a fingerprint. He's even introduced these findings in court for ear-prints left behind by burgalars who placed their ear / face up to glass to peer into their mark.

So that said, if jane or john doe has an obvious fused or free lobule and your missing person is the opposite - it's a pretty fair rule out.

Eye color is difficult - as there are factors that can effect what you see at a post-mortem examination; decomposition, excessive heat, fire, dependant lividity can really make it difficult as well because the eye becomes so conjested and tardeau spots start to appear.

Jane Doe (CA 1979) was known to be alive the night before - can't reveal why - but I can say that the side of her face that was intact was preserved enough that a false eye-color was not an issue.

Another thing I've noted over the years while dealing with Cold Case Files (I've solved four and during my tour have had only one active Doe case go unidentified - Jane Doe / Castro Valley, CA) is that much older cases seem to have a lot of "Approximation" in the height and weight department. I don't believe that the facility where Jane Doe (CA 1979) had her autopsy in 1979 had a scale big enough to measure a human on a gurney. That said - don't let height and weight send you off a trail too soon. Forensic Science is amazing, but science & the theories behind it are only as good as the humans who derived and dreamed them up - and we, humans, are all capable of being wrong. Case in point: Hawkins & his Black Hole theory were written in stone for the longest time - but now it's pretty much been debunked.

With that being said, what are your opinions on these ears?

Attachments

• brody3.JPG
    brody3.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 230
The actual shape of the ears look similar, but if you notice where they fall, it's pretty different. In the 2 Brody Pic's the bottom of his ear lobes seem to be in line with his upper lip. The guy in the middle with the hat, ear lobes are more even with his nose. They set higher on his face. IMHO

I do not know if the person who stated that this girl was not Anna and identified her as a different girl was being forthright or not, but I do not have any reason to disbelieve him at this point. He could be 100% correct, mistaken or deceitful. That is why us taking a second look at this is a good idea.

I have purposely been laying low on this discussion because I really want to see what you sleuthers can discover (absent any preconceptions or prejudices that I may have that could slant the investigation one way or another). The Synanon angle is as worthy of investigation as any other hypothesises that we have had and I want to make sure it gets the hard look that it deserves. Thanks to everyone for the ongoing great effort!

Maybe "forthcoming" was a poor choice for a word. The poster who provided this information indicated the child was born in 73. The picture is dated "about 74" and the caption under that photo on another site indicated something about "getting the hair blow dried before the shave", but the info I've found indicates the shaved heads began in 75. Which would put Anna at 7 or 8 if in fact the caption is correct and the correct photo date coinciding with the shaved heads is 75. I have a hard time placing an age of 7 or 8 on the girl in the photo. I did find a link with pictures for sale of the shaved heads. I didn't see any children or teenagers, only adults. Which leads me to wonder if the female teens and children were also included in the head shaving.......

My thoughts are to first try to pinpoint a date for the picture/event and proceed from there.

The actual shape of the ears look similar, but if you notice where they fall, it's pretty different. In the 2 Brody Pic's the bottom of his ear lobes seem to be in line with his upper lip. The guy in the middle with the hat, ear lobes are more even with his nose. They set higher on his face. IMHO

I just got done standing in front of the mirror as I was finishing getting ready for work. If I tilted my head downward about 1", my ears match up to my nose. I think it's the angle of the camera or the face.

The ears look different to me. The cartilage along the inside of Brody's right ( his right )ear is flatter than that of the baseball player. The cartilage forming the outside shape ( from the top near his head curving down) of Brody's ear doesn't form as much of a closed circle as much as it is I see on the baseball player. Brody just seems to have less pronounced cartilage in both those area's. Also the lobe area - bottom - where a single piercing would be looks to indent kind of like a spoon shape on Brody. I hope that makes sense. I don't know what those parts are called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500