SIDEBAR #58 - Travis Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, she's lovely! How many hands is she? She looks huge (or maybe that guy is really short?)!

As I've said before, I'm a big fan of giving off-the-track horses a new life/second career. They're so smart and such good workers when given a job. She would be a lucky girl if you were to acquire her. It breaks my heart that so many thoroughbreds wind up in kill lots...

She is 16.1 H and looks nice. I am going to call about her tomorrow. She is thin because she is at the track, but has a great shoulder angle and neck. Her stifle is high, which IMO she can jump.

I am trying to figure out how to hide/siphon off/take $2500 out of our checking account without my DH noticing. What if I surprise him and tell him I bought him a horse????!!! Great idea right?

Wow G3, you are very busy! I have no such list. I am exhausted just looking at yours and I think I will just stay in bed :)

Every year I wonder about this ritual -- staying in bed sounds wonderful to me!

But it's something I've always done, so quitting is not an option. My mother hated cooking, so I don't have any fond memories of great Christmas meals.

(One year she was on the Stillman Diet, and our Christmas dinner started with a clear broth, and went downhill from there.)

I guess that resulted in my strong feelings about giving my kids a holiday meal tradition as a gift, of sorts, from me to them...

She is 16.1 H and looks nice. I am going to call about her tomorrow. She is thin because she is at the track, but has a great shoulder angle and neck. Her stifle is high, which IMO she can jump.

I am trying to figure out how to hide/siphon off/take $2500 out of our checking account without my DH noticing. What if I surprise him and tell him I bought him a horse????!!! Great idea right?

16+ is a nice size for a filly. I think she could breed well.

"Hey honey, guess what I got you for Christmas? No, it's not just another horse, it's an investment in our future..."

Maybe that will work...? hahaha... it's worth a shot!

Every year I wonder about this ritual -- staying in bed sounds wonderful to me!

But it's something I've always done, so quitting is not an option. My mother hated cooking, so I don't have any fond memories of great Christmas meals.

(One year she was on the Stillman Diet, and our Christmas dinner started with a clear broth, and went downhill from there.)

I guess that resulted in my feeling strongly about giving my kids a holiday meal tradition as a gift, of sorts, from me to them...

What you are describing is going to make it all worthwhile for generations to come and even when we are long gone.

I have come to learn that people and especially children don't always let their loved ones know how much they appreciate things. But they do appreciate them. They really do. They may not say it often enough or even at all but you can rest assured that they really do recognize it and appreciate it.

And someday many years in the future when we are looking down on the ones we leave we will hear them say......"My grandma used to make the best....." OR "I heard my Grandma used to be the best at...." OR "My Mom would have ....." OR ...... :)

We humans are not the best at being able to communicate directly with the ones we should be communicating with but we are pretty good at using 3rd parties to express our feelings for another. I suppose it is a little tough for us and maybe it makes some uncomfortable. So there are reasons why it happens but the GOOD NEWS is the feelings are really there and they will come out eventually. We may be looking down on them when it happens but it will all be worthwhile.

So whatever passion one has whether it be a love for horses OR cooking OR making beautiful colorings OR just being you. It doesnt matter because our loved ones will recognize us some day down the line.

ITS ALL WORTHWHILE. :)

Now if I can just remember that next year when I am told to go to the attic to get the 6 large bins of decorations. LOL :)

Hatfield, this may help give your wife (you) some ideas. I hope she (you) enjoy coloring as much as Anna and I do. This woman used gel pens, markers and pencils.

[video=youtu;1BGYSDQYZ0w]http://youtu.be/1BGYSDQYZ0w[/video]

Thanks so much for all the great tips. I am cut and pasting all the tips into a separate document so I can reference.

Would he buy "look what followed me home" ?

Checked off my list today, Monday, 12/21:

1. Beverage shopping: Yes, it requires a separate trip. Very few grocery stores around here sell beer and wine. Plus, those bottles are HEAVY!

2. Annual charitable donations. It takes a lot of effort to get stuff together (and again, that stuff is HEAVY), but it's worth it for the tax deduction. More than that, it's a gift to myself to get stuff outta here! Purging feels sooo good...

My list for tomorrow, Tuesday, 12/22:

1. Food shopping: Going in with my finely honed "master list." I will take my time to make sure I get everything I need the first time around. I will leave non-perishables in the trunk of my car (because that stuff is HEAVY)!

2. Tuesday is trash night, so being that this is Christmas week, I will be extra careful to throw out everything that even looks like trash, to include cleaning out the fridge to make room for the stuff for Christmas dinner. I have no doubt that that stuff will also be HEAVY. But it will be nice to have a clean slate.

My list for Wednesday, 12/23:

1. Go back to the store to get all the things I forgot to buy. :(

2. Search for the vacuum and decent table linens, etc. (I really should remember to put those once-a-year things away in a more obvious place...)

My list for Thursday, 12/24:

1. Bring in all that (HEAVY) stuff from my trunk. Figure out where I'm going to put everything. Make cookies? (maybe/maybe not/okay, probably yes)

2. Collapse from exhaustion and have nightmares about either, a) burning an $80 roast or, b) burning down my entire house.

My list for Friday, 12/25:

For some odd reason, I consider this is to be my favorite day of the year. I will wake up early and make a big breakfast which we'll enjoy as we open presents. Shortly thereafter, I'll start prepping Christmas dinner. It will keep me busy all day long. I will ask myself if I'm a masochist, and wonder why I do this to myself year after year. I will swear that this is the last time, and that I'll never do it again.

Then, as family and friends gather around the table and everyone starts to eat the feast I created, I'll realize that there's no greater reward than to see the people I love enjoying a meal that I made; made for no other reason than that I love them and want to make them happy. :)

Do y'all have liquor stores? Or they in wet districts? Down here some cities are dry and you have to drive into Dallas or Addison as the closes. They also sell beer and wine (my grandson asked if his grandfather would buy him a bottle of meade, it goes with the anvil he asked for Christmas so he could make swords. He'd do well at Scarbough Fair.). At our cabin the closes is called the Furr Out about fifteen miles away outside of Winnsboro, and at nine oclock pm, the liquor part closes, and they open the other half of the store to sale beer and wine, until two am.

Would he buy "look what followed me home" ?

:hilarious: The best answer!!

Do y'all have liquor stores? Or they in wet districts? Down here some cities are dry and you have to drive into Dallas or Addison as the closes. They also sell beer and wine (my grandson asked if his grandfather would buy him a bottle of meade, it goes with the anvil he asked for Christmas so he could make swords. He'd do well at Scarbough Fair.). At our cabin the closes is called the Furr Out about fifteen miles away outside of Winnsboro, and at nine oclock pm, the liquor part closes, and they open the other half of the store to sale beer and wine, until two am.

Oh geez ....... You can buy beer, wine and liquor everywhere here, even in our grocery stores. Beer (and wine? not sure) at the gas stations, beer and wine (maybe some liquor) at Walgreens type pharmacies, Walmart and Meijer, ...... There is no excuse for someone to say they couldn't buy their bottle on the way to a party. That may also be why we have too many drunk drivers ....... they run out of drinks, so go to the corner to get more. :trout:

4606goodmorningwp6.gif

Link: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/Margie077/New file 001/4606goodmorningwp6.gif
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A very rainy morning. Figured I post early as I might lose the internet later on.

Coffee- get well soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearing postponed in Bella Bond case

"Suffolk County prosecutors say the hearing has been rescheduled of the man and woman charged in connection with the death of Bella Bond.

Michael Patrick McCarthy, 35, of Quincy and Rachelle Dee Bond, 40, of Dorchester were supposed to appear for a hearing Thursday. The hearing has now been rescheduled to Dec. 22, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said in a statement.

Bella Bond’s body is still in the custody of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, which has ruled her death a homicide, prosecutors said..."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...a-bond-case/wxHkOwRUjgAlA3FiThyeOM/story.html

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Island-Boston-Harbor-Jun-15-7-*ARRESTS*/page9
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N.Y. governor plans pardons for thousands of nonviolent youth offenders

"New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced on Monday he would seek to pardon thousands of people convicted of nonviolent crimes as teenagers in an attempt to remove a major obstacle to securing employment, housing and education.

The executive action stems from Cuomo's broader "Raise the Age Campaign," an effort to change New York law that requires 16- and 17-year-old criminal defendants to be tried as adults.

New York is one of only two states, along with North Carolina, that prosecutes all 16-year-olds as adults.

Cuomo said he would invite anyone who was convicted of a nonviolent felony or misdemeanor at age 16 or 17 to apply for pardons, as long as they have remained crime-free for 10 years..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-pardons-idUSKBN0U425V20151221
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bronx man arrested in infant son's death was angry mother paid 'more attention to the baby than him,' relative claims :(

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ed-baby-death-video-emerges-article-1.2472146
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freddie Gray case: Officer William Porter’s new trial set for June 13

"...Judge Barry G. Williams and Porter’s attorneys met Monday to schedule the new trial date, which will be formalized in a hearing Tuesday morning, according to the state judiciary.

The next trial in Gray’s case is scheduled for Jan. 6, when Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., the driver of the van, is set to go to court."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...b79d72-a815-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feds: Pa. teen charged with providing support to Islamic State

"WASHINGTON — A 19-year-old Pennsylvania man was arrested and charged Thursday with conspiracy and providing material support to the Islamic State terror group by advocating violence against the U.S. as part of a social media campaign using nearly 60 Twitter accounts.

Jalil Ibn Ameer Aziz, who was due to make his first appearance late Thursday in a Harrisburg federal court, also is accused of assisting other ISIL recruits in their attempts to join the terror group on the battlefield in Syria..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fe...providing-support-to-islamic-state/ar-BBnG9rQ
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former attorney charged with murdering his 19-year-old bride 42 YEARS ago after 'covering up the killing with a fake car crash'

"Donnie Rudd, 73, was arrested at his Texas home on Thursday and charged with the murder of his wife in Chicago in 1973

Noreen Kumeta Rudd, 19, was apparently killed in a single-car crash

Her body was exhumed in 2013 and her death changed to homicide

Mr Rudd had taken out a $100,000 life insurance policy before her death

He is also being investigated in relation to another murder in 1991 in Texas .."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...EARS-ago-covering-killing-fake-car-crash.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Convictions of four Alaska men over 1997 beating death of teen dismissed

"An Alaska judge on Thursday dismissed the convictions of four men who spent nearly two decades in prison for the murder of a teenager, approving a settlement in which defense attorneys introduced new evidence casting doubt on their guilt.

The three Alaska Native men and an American Indian had maintained their innocence in the 1997 beating death of Fairbanks teenager John Hartman, with Alaska Native leaders saying the convictions were racially motivated...

Under terms of the settlement, the men agreed to withdraw their claim of prosecutorial misconduct and the state agreed not to retry them in connection with the crime, the Daily News-Miner reported.

Hartman, 15, was beaten on a Fairbanks street in October, 1997, and died a day later, according to a court record. Prosecutors said a group of young men had been prowling the streets, robbing a man before randomly attacking Hartman..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...97-beating-death-of-teen-dismissed/ar-BBnH4mT
--

Fairbanks police chief comments on release of Fairbanks Four

"...“This is not an exoneration,” he said. “This is just, they’ve settled that we’re just going to vacate it and move on.”..

“It’s like a person gets deferred adjudication for a traffic ticket, you know?” Aragon said. “You do well and [if] after a year you haven’t got any more tickets, the conviction disappears.”

But a speeding ticket and a murder charge are two different things. He said the settlement was based on many different factors, and whether they’re innocent or guilty “really doesn’t matter at this point.”.."

http://www.ktva.com/fairbanks-police-chief-whoever-killed-john-hartman-has-been-turned-loose-322/
--

background:
Fairbanks Four - John Hartman murder (articles)

http://www.newsminer.com/fairbanks_four/
--

A lingering question remains: Who killed John Hartman?

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...cle_977f306a-a62f-11e5-8c47-6be9f1764f90.html

images

Link: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...5qnG0kx4MOzlR1JeADnPz1mxd8WTUfM-gxvbDMcclgY9Q

(John Hartman)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kansas is 5th state where lottery prizes may have been fixed :(

"IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The former security chief for a national group that operates state lotteries personally bought two prize-winning tickets in Kansas worth $44,000, investigators said Monday, bringing to five the number of states where he may have fixed games to enrich himself and associates.

Investigators recently linked the winning 2010 Kansas tickets to Eddie Tipton, former security director of the Multi-State Lottery Association, Iowa assistant attorney general Rob Sand disclosed in court documents. The evidence will show that Tipton associates who claimed the prizes returned half of the money in cash directly to him in early 2011, he wrote..."

http://qctimes.com/entertainment/ka...cle_67b3b8a4-8466-5fda-9a1a-f7ef9bf22690.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do children have a right to be loved? :heartbeat:

"Surely every child on Earth should be loved. That seems obvious. But is that a human right? Many international declarations adopt this view. The 1989 Declaration on the Rights of the Child in Israel, for instance, states that every child has ‘the right to a family life – to nourishment, suitable housing, protection, love and understanding’; the 1979 Declaration of the Rights of Mozambican Children claims that they have ‘the right to grow up in a climate of peace and security, surrounded by love and understanding’; and the 1951 Children’s Charter of Japan asserts that they shall be ‘entitled to be brought up in their own homes with proper love’....

Yet, there can be a lingering worry here. Does this mean that children who feel unloved by their parents could accuse them of denying their human rights? .."

https://aeon.co/opinions/do-childre...ail&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-eb28b4a0f3-68895113
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better babies

"The long and peculiar history of the designer human, from Plato’s citizen breeders to Nobel sperm banks and beyond.."

https://aeon.co/essays/the-dream-of...ail&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-795d84ba1e-68895113
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made to order

"Parents already put their children under intense pressure to compete in the world. Will gene editing make it worse?..."

https://aeon.co/essays/can-parents-...ail&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-b7efbbf229-68895113
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Designer cells' reverse one-year-old's cancer

"One-year-old Layla Richards, from London, had incurable aggressive leukaemia only five months ago.

Doctors used "designer immune cells" to fight the cancer and say her improvement was "almost a miracle".

It is too soon to know if she has been cured, but her progress already marks a huge moment for the field...

Now, just months after her family was told she had incurable cancer, Layla is not only alive, but has no trace of leukaemia in her body....

"The only way we will find out if this is a cure is by waiting that one or two years, but even having got this far from where we were is a major, major step."..."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34731498
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting a price on the '12 Days of Christmas'

2015 GIFT PRICES

The PNC Christmas Price Index® shows the current cost of one set of each of the gifts given in the song
"The Twelve Days of Christmas."

"...TOTAL CHRISTMAS PRICE INDEX
$34,130.99 (+0.6%)

TRUE COST OF CHRISTMAS IN SONG
$155,407.18 +0.6%

(Cumulative cost of all the gifts when you count each repetition in the song — 364 gifts).."

https://www.pncchristmaspriceindex.com/cpi/#giftprices
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Health Consequences of Actually Living the 12 Days of Christmas
All that milking. Would you even survive?

"For a song that’s on heavy rotation in malls and soft-rock stations this time of year, the “Twelve Days of Christmas” has surprisingly mysterious origins.

It was first published in England in 1780 as a nursery rhyme in the book Mirth Without Mischief, but that rendition might have been predated by an even earlier French version. The song wasn't set to the tune we now know it by (gooooold riiiiiings!) until 1909, by the composer Frederic Austin. A rendition from as late as 1908 includes the lines, “12 bulls a-roaring” and “11 bears a-baiting.” Sweet dreams, kids!..

...here is your 12-days-of-Christmas diet, should you choose to celebrate this year like an 18th-century British villager:.."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ually-living-the-12-days-of-christmas/282313/

fb00aeff9.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony-Winning Actress Patricia Elliott Dies at 77

"NEW YORK (AP) — Patricia Elliott, who won a Tony Award on her Broadway musical debut and went on to star opposite David Bowie in The Elephant Man and spend 23 years aboard the ABC soap opera One Life to Live, has died. She was 77.

Elliott died of cancer Sunday at her home in Manhattan, according to her niece, Sally Fay..."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tony-winning-actress-patricia-elliott-850585

gettyimages-528303711.jpg

Link: http://cdn3.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300_portrait/2015/12/gettyimages-528303711.jpg

RIP :candle:

New interview with Laurence:

L. Kirk Nurmi ‏@_nurmilaw Dec 20
Attached is a link to my interview with @MacandGaydos and @monicalindstrom

http://ktar.com/player/?a=317644 …

[video=youtube;qPAqAWKnV_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPAqAWKnV_A[/video]

Johnny Carson 1988 interview 105 year old woman from Kansas

[video=youtube;U4EI2fvi_xk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4EI2fvi_xk[/video]

Kangaroo farts not environmentally friendly after all

Kangaroos do produce less methane than cows, but new research shows they aren’t the potential solution to global warming that scientists had hoped.

"Kangaroos can no longer feel smug about their flatulence. Traditionally, it’s been thought that the animals produce unusually low amounts of methane when they pass gas. Since livestock farts (I’m looking at you, cows) make up a lot of our global greenhouse gas emissions, that would make kangaroos potential lifesavers in the global warming department. Scientists had hoped that there might be some secret cocktail of microbes in their gut that made their emissions so delicate — perhaps one that could be given to cattle to make their farts less harmful...

No kangaroos could be reached for comment, but we imagine they’re wildly offended." :floorlaugh:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...s-not-environmentally-friendly-after-all.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

img4f649f3d3d5e5.jpg

Link: http://lewisvilletexan.com/xoops/uploads/img4f649f3d3d5e5.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked off my list today, Monday, 12/21:

1. Beverage shopping: Yes, it requires a separate trip. Very few grocery stores around here sell beer and wine. Plus, those bottles are HEAVY!

2. Annual charitable donations. It takes a lot of effort to get stuff together (and again, that stuff is HEAVY), but it's worth it for the tax deduction. More than that, it's a gift to myself to get stuff outta here! Purging feels sooo good...

My list for tomorrow, Tuesday, 12/22:

1. Food shopping: Going in with my finely honed "master list." I will take my time to make sure I get everything I need the first time around. I will leave non-perishables in the trunk of my car (because that stuff is HEAVY)!

2. Tuesday is trash night, so being that this is Christmas week, I will be extra careful to throw out everything that even looks like trash, to include cleaning out the fridge to make room for the stuff for Christmas dinner. I have no doubt that that stuff will also be HEAVY. But it will be nice to have a clean slate.

My list for Wednesday, 12/23:

1. Go back to the store to get all the things I forgot to buy. :(

2. Search for the vacuum and decent table linens, etc. (I really should remember to put those once-a-year things away in a more obvious place...)

My list for Thursday, 12/24:

1. Bring in all that (HEAVY) stuff from my trunk. Figure out where I'm going to put everything. Make cookies? (maybe/maybe not/okay, probably yes)

2. Collapse from exhaustion and have nightmares about either, a) burning an $80 roast or, b) burning down my entire house.

My list for Friday, 12/25:

For some odd reason, I consider this is to be my favorite day of the year. I will wake up early and make a big breakfast which we'll enjoy as we open presents. Shortly thereafter, I'll start prepping Christmas dinner. It will keep me busy all day long. I will ask myself if I'm a masochist, and wonder why I do this to myself year after year. I will swear that this is the last time, and that I'll never do it again.

Then, as family and friends gather around the table and everyone starts to eat the feast I created, I'll realize that there's no greater reward than to see the people I love enjoying a meal that I made; made for no other reason than that I love them and want to make them happy. :)

You certainly are a busy :bee:

Enjoy it- you may not always be so busy and you might miss it one day.

I think I want to buy this horse. I am officially nuts. Certifiable. Isn't she pretty though? 3 yo Thoroughbred filly off the track who didn't like to race. I could breed her...

View attachment 86033

attachment.php

That is such a beautiful horse!!!

- think you better think twice as your DH might sell you if you buy another horse. :floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500