Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
So a suspect can be placed in handcuff's, brought to a police station for questioning and as long as they don't ask if their under arrest their not in custody? I'm not sure about that. I would hope that LE would make it clear that the suspect was free to leave after being handcuff and detained in a police car.

Do we know if LE told JRH that he was not under arrest and free to leave before they questioned him? We can guess that they did but I haven't seen it stated by LE that it happened. Maybe LE didn't take any chances and read him his rights at the very beginning of his interrogation. I would like to know what really happened. JMO.

BBM - The police still had to file a report. Why would they tell him he is free to leave without answering questions as to what happened? Questions needed to be answered as to how your child ended up dead in the car, don't ya think?

"The initial investigation might last two to three weeks — if they have a person dedicated full-time to it, which may not be likely, Case said. Then, he said, as the investigation advances, each discovery could suggest fresh lines of inquiry, forcing digital investigators “to re-examine all of the devices for all of that data, and search for new evidence.”

"Testifying in the July 3 hearing, Cobb Detective Phil Stoddard said investigators had “only scratched the surface.”

"Right now, the pressure is on the investigators to scour for as much information as they can."

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/crim...link_cbpopular_bottom#d4d037ae.3826992.735440
Step 1
"Police must now complete their investigation and turn all of the evidence over to the district attorney's office. They are looking for evidence that Cooper's death was premeditated or planned."

Step 2
"The district attorney's office will launch an independent review of the evidence gathered by police. As part of that process, they will evaluate the strength of the case against Ross Harris.

Step 3
The district attorney will present evidence to a grand jury and decide which charges they plan to pursue against Harris.

The office has 90 days to indict the case before Harris is guaranteed bond by law.
http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...t-in-ross-harris-hot-car-death-case/12663859/

***Today marks day 38.
They have time still.

I highly doubt he will be getting bond.

All posts are MOO

How do we know the case isn't being presented to a GJ right now? Is there anything that says the presentation of the case and the GJ determination must occur within one business day? With a complex case, I could see how the presentation of the evidence and the investigation might take several gatherings of the GJ, who only meet about 2 days per work week, IIRC. And the GJ deliberations might take more than one work day.

Unless there is some rule that says it all has to be presented and decided on in one work day, I think it's possible the case is being presented to the GJ right now-- with no press or media announcements till the GJ has reached a decision.

Does anyone know what the procedures for the GJ are? Can they hear a case over several days? (Which could be several weeks real time if they only meet twice a week in person.)

BBM
So a suspect can be placed in handcuff's, brought to a police station for questioning and as long as they don't ask if their under arrest their not in custody? I'm not sure about that. I would hope that LE would make it clear that the suspect was free to leave after being handcuff and detained in a police car.

Do we know if LE told JRH that he was not under arrest and free to leave before they questioned him? We can guess that they did but I haven't seen it stated by LE that it happened. Maybe LE didn't take any chances and read him his rights at the very beginning of his interrogation. I would like to know what really happened. JMO.

You seem to be insinuating that the police are guilty of some sort of misconduct. I assume that if LE did not follow proper protocol in the arrest process, the Judge would have heard about it from his brother and his lawyer at the hearing. I think his brother most certainly would have mentioned it to reporters when he launched the nonsense about a15-second discrepancy.

JMO

RH said he tightened the straps on the lowest level and that he kissed Cooper then added that was in case RH/CH died in an accident. Don't know at what point he made these statements but that is too much detail. It was also reported that he went to sleep at the jail. LEO have said that the guilty do go to sleep because, in effect, the jig is up, there is a perverse relief. The innocent are reported as hostile, on their feet.

BBM

We all would. But I would think that if this was an issue, it would have been addressed at the PCH/Bond hearing. JMO

:modsnip;

Stop with the "Roscoe" stuff. Name calling/name variations are not allowed.

Salem

Is Texas not a southern state?

No the culture is western, I hear people speak about "it must be a southern thing"; no, what they are referring to is a western thing. Two different cultures entirely. Its comparable to comparing New England and Ohio.

How do we know the case isn't being presented to a GJ right now? Is there anything that says the presentation of the case and the GJ determination must occur within one business day? With a complex case, I could see how the presentation of the evidence and the investigation might take several gatherings of the GJ, who only meet about 2 days per work week, IIRC. And the GJ deliberations might take more than one work day.

Unless there is some rule that says it all has to be presented and decided on in one work day, I think it's possible the case is being presented to the GJ right now-- with no press or media announcements till the GJ has reached a decision.

Does anyone know what the procedures for the GJ are? Can they hear a case over several days? (Which could be several weeks real time if they only meet twice a week in person.)

In a comment to Dan Whatshisname (I don't have a link) Nancy Grace said she believed the case would not be presented right away and that the Grand Jury would hear other, less significant and detailed cases prior to this one being presented. She said a death of a baby is not something a newly sworn grand jury wants to consider and they need to gain experience listening to less horrific cases first. She speculated it might not be presented until August. Because she is a former assistant prosecutor from Atlanta, I actually believe her.

JMO

You seem to be insinuating that the police are guilty of some sort of misconduct. I assume that if LE did not follow proper protocol in the arrest process, the Judge would have heard about it from his brother and his lawyer at the hearing. I think his brother most certainly would have mentioned it to reporters when he launched the nonsense about a15-second discrepancy.

JMO

I am not saying that LE did anything wrong. I'm thinking more along the lines of how the defense may deal with any of JRH's incriminating statements.

RH said he tightened the straps on the lowest level and that he kissed Cooper then added that was in case RH/CH died in an accident. Don't know at what point he made these statements but that is too much detail. It was also reported that he went to sleep at the jail. LEO have said that the guilty do go to sleep because, in effect, the jig is up, there is a perverse relief. The innocent are reported as hostile, on their feet.

Hmmmm........he was both hostile and fell asleep.............JMO

BBM - The police still had to file a report. Why would they tell him he is free to leave without answering questions as to what happened? Questions needed to be answered as to how your child ended up dead in the car, don't ya think?
You never have to answer questions without having an attorney present if you want one... even if you aren't under arrest. That is your right.

We all would. But I would think that if this was an issue, it would have been addressed at the PCH/Bond hearing. JMO
I don't believe LE did anything that would warrant it being addressed at the PCH.

Thanks for this post.

This was referring to a post made in response to me:
Originally Posted by cady: "Can we possibly stipulate that the child was INDEED strapped in? He would have had to have been unbuckled at chik fil a and died enroute to the Treehouse parking lot for him to NOT have been buckled in . Otherwise, a toddler would have been climbing around all over the car. I don't imagine that he died of hyperthermia if his father somehow killed him while driving the few minutes it took to arrive at the Treehouse parking lot. There are videos of both chik fil a and the parking lot. Also a medical examiner report on what caused his death. Whew. not JMO"

Again, my post that generated this response was regarding my thought that Cooper may have been buckled in the back seat, not the car seat. Most don't see that as a possibility, but just wanted to tie your post to the previous discussion.

I am not saying that LE did anything wrong. I'm thinking more along the lines of how the defense may deal with any of JRH's incriminating statements.

Negotiate a plea. The statements were made and not much a defense can do about it after the fact. That came across loud and clear at the bail hearing.

JMO

In a comment to Dan Whatshisname (I don't have a link) Nancy Grace said she believed the case would not be presented right away and that the Grand Jury would hear other, less significant and detailed cases prior to this one being presented. She said a death of a baby is not something a newly sworn grand jury wants to consider and they need to gain experience listening to less horrific cases first. She speculated it might not be presented until August. Because she is a former assistant prosecutor from Atlanta, I actually believe her.

JMO
I agree. I read similar statements of this in MSM.

Mouthing off to a police officer, hindering their investigation of a death that you have a direct connection with would surely get you arrested.
Or in the words of a MSM reporter, he was "combative" with police at the scene.

JMO
They are getting their practice in.
They returned a true bill on a hit and run yesterday.
http://m.ajc.com/news/news/cobb-county-grand-jury-indicts-man-in-fatal-hit-an/ngnpH/

All posts are MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members