Social & economic costs

Moral of the story: If you want to be an officer in the US Army, don't do stupid things, like rioting.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for the guy.

Same here. That also applies to anyone who rioted. What a disgrace!

Here is comment someone posted in that article.
Nationalboh
Justin Strine is the true victim here. This so-called "riot" was justified because PSU besmirched JoePa by not even having the decency to fire him in person. No one got hurt. What's the big deal about tipping over a few cars, and now this great young man is losing the opportunity to serve us in uniform. We need more press attention to the true victims here and not the alleged ones in the showers.

Thank God football starts soon. Life will now have meaning again.

Really? I think not. He made his choice and should face consequences. Talk about a vapid person right there!

Same here. That also applies to anyone who rioted. What a disgrace!

Here is comment someone posted in that article.
Nationalboh
Justin Strine is the true victim here. This so-called "riot" was justified because PSU besmirched JoePa by not even having the decency to fire him in person. No one got hurt. What's the big deal about tipping over a few cars, and now this great young man is losing the opportunity to serve us in uniform. We need more press attention to the true victims here and not the alleged ones in the showers.

Thank God football starts soon. Life will now have meaning again.

Really? I think not. He made his choice and should face consequences. Talk about a vapid person right there!

I think he might have been trolling (or was Sue Paterno).

Speaking of the Queen of State College.....talk about having a pair....

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/09/01/3318935/paternos-to-attend-psu-opener.html

I'm not sure I understand why she shouldn't go to the game? She didn't molest any children, and like her or not, she has spent her entire adult life close to the program, even feeding and tutoring players.

If the concern is with the family announcing it, I would be willing to bet that curious reporters contacted the family spokesperson to ask if they were attending.

I completely agree that the family hasn't done themselves any favors by continuing to defend Joe's legacy, but I can't find any fault with them for wanting to use their tickets to see how the football program will move forward.

JMO

I'm not sure I understand why she shouldn't go to the game? She didn't molest any children, and like her or not, she has spent her entire adult life close to the program, even feeding and tutoring players.

If the concern is with the family announcing it, I would be willing to bet that curious reporters contacted the family spokesperson to ask if they were attending.

I completely agree that the family hasn't done themselves any favors by continuing to defend Joe's legacy, but I can't find any fault with them for wanting to use their tickets to see how the football program will move forward.

JMO

How can the football program move forward when she and her family continue to remind others of the soiled past?

Seems to me that if they truly wanted the "best" for PSU - they'd let the dust settle before making personal appearances.

What I do find a bit odd too, and this also is JMO, but several years ago when I was at PSU I distinctly remember Sue complaining that she and Joe could never go out after a game and have a normal dinner because everyone "bothered" them and they were private people.....

Private people usually don't announce their presence at a football game. And if this was the doings of the paper to announce it - a private person would not attend the game in the end because they're well,.....private.

JMO

How can the football program move forward when she and her family continue to remind others of the soiled past?

Seems to me that if they truly wanted the "best" for PSU - they'd let the dust settle before making personal appearances.

What I do find a bit odd too, and this also is JMO, but several years ago when I was at PSU I distinctly remember Sue complaining that she and Joe could never go out after a game and have a normal dinner because everyone "bothered" them and they were private people.....

Private people usually don't announce their presence at a football game. And if this was the doings of the paper to announce it - a private person would not attend the game in the end because they're well,.....private.

JMO

I don't have any problem with her going (and my comment was obviously a joke). I think it is fine for her to indicate support for her alma mater.

I understand her defense of Paterno, but I don't agree. Maybe this is part of the way to move beyond that.

JMO

If she were being led out onto the field and introduced before the game, I would agree with you. But as for watching the game from her family's skybox, I don't think that should concern any of us.

If she and her family said they weren't going, people would complain that it was "sour grapes" because Joe and Jay were fired. If they are going, they are interrupting the healing process. They are certainly in a situation where they can't please everyone.

An AP story says that “the university is currently appealing a judge’s decision to consolidate the {victims’] cases in Philadelphia. … Tom Baker, a University of Pennsylvania law professor with expertise on the relationship between liability and insurance, said Penn State doesn’t want the cases to go to trial, but might feel compelled to.
“If the plaintiffs are very unreasonable in the amounts of money they’re demanding, you might be prepared to take that risk,” Baker said. “Especially if you can do it one case at a time.”
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...ms-accuse-penn-state-of-being-slow-to-settle/

Another article on group settlements, comparing Penn State with Catholic settlements:
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/09/13/2335245/qa-valuing-sexual-abuse-claims.html

Excerpt:
"HOW DO GROUP SETTLEMENTS USUALLY PROCEED?
There are many different approaches, but typically defendants would propose how much money they are willing to pay and negotiate with the victims' lawyers over that amount. After that, a mediator or arbitrator may be brought in to split up the money.The process can embitter victims if they feel their experiences are being weighed against each other. Albany Law School professor Timothy D. Lytton, author of the book "Holding Bishops Accountable," says the analysis can come down to something like "penetration is worse than fondling, fondling is worse than being shown *advertiser censored*, repeated penetration over a long period of time is worse than a single event."

NCAA: Penn State's $60 million fine to be split, with at least 25 percent in Pa. and remainder in other states

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/09/18/3340429/ncaa-at-least-25-percent-of-penn.html#wgt=rcntnews

UNIVERSITY PARK — At least 25 percent of the $60 million Penn State is paying in NCAA sanctions will stay in Pennsylvania.

The NCAA said Tuesday it has charged an independent task force with developing the blueprint for how the money should be distributed..............

An NCAA statement said all money from the fine will flow to programs designed to prevent child sexual abuse or to assist victims nationwide.

Pennsylvania organizations will receive the first round of funding, according to a statement from Penn State. But the university and NCAA have not established how long that would take.

The 10-person task force, which has yet to meet, will develop the philosophy and guidelines for distributing the $60 million endowment.

[List of the 10 members included]

Penn State to Compensate Sandusky Victims, Erickson Says

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-19/penn-state-to-compensate-sandusky-victims-erickson-says

Pennsylvania State University plans to settle with victims of the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal, President Rodney Erickson said.

The university is working with outside lawyers and plans to announce a process that will result in the settlement of “ideally all” of the civil cases so that “victims will not have to be dragged through a long litigation process,” Erickson said in an interview yesterday at Bloomberg LP’s headquarters in New York. The money will come from insurance policies and funds set aside from interest on internal loans, Erickson said.

“We certainly haven’t forgotten about Mr. Sandusky’s victims,” Erickson said. “We want to make sure that we do the right thing in terms of providing a just outcome for them.”

More at link.....

Kenneth Feinberg"s book about victim compensation is on Kindle. Has anyone read it? Does it answer the question below?

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2012/09/21/263942.htm
"Feinberg [settled 9/11] also ran victim compensation funds for victims of Agent Orange, the Virginia Tech massacre and the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. He outlined some of the possible approaches for such funds in his new book, “Who Gets What: Fair Compensation after Tragedy and Financial Upheaval,” which details the processes he’s used."

What I'm curious about is how any group settlement would handle victims who come forward sometime in the future- it seems accepted that to a point that these can be legitimate cases of surfacing memory. Sort of like Agent Orange victims getting sick later.
Would the fund be open to these and close at some statute-of-limitations point?

Added:
I just read the few Amazon reviews of the book- lots of conflict based on who the reader/reviewer thinks should bear the responsibility for "family wealth protection", vs the responsibility for the disaster. Reader says, "Buy life insurance." Some readers coughing up hairballs.

Legal bills and crisis communications in the fallout of the Jerry Sandusky scandal have cost Penn State more than $23.5 million, the university reported Monday.
That means the scandal has Penn State on the hook for more than $86 million, adding the $60 million fine from the NCAA and the $2.5 million in severance pay to former President Graham Spanier that was triggered when he was let go last year. . .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back