South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats awful, is it because people can't be bothered to deal with a person who behaves badly and it is easier to just fob off the person who is being harassed
because that person probably won't be able to demand action being that they will most likely be of a gentle nature.
It's like another form of bullying.
I used to see it a lot at school with my sister, she was very attractive but very "soft" and naive she just couldn't protect herself at all and this went on for years, girls were so awful to her they used to hit her and say terrible things about her at every opportunity there was no let up, I used to have to threaten them to keep away from her and I am not tough like that but the anger from seeing it happen over and over again spurred me on. It was quite similar to Phoebe's situation in that there was different groups of girls doing it and they wouldn't have been known to each other, it was purely a jealousy thing and they knew she wouldnt stand up for herself so she was always a target. I can tell you she survived physically but it has had a huge impact on her life and now 10-15 years later she is receiving counselling for it.

I feel terrible for your sister for having to deal with that and understand your anger would cause to you stick up for her. Even though I'm gentle I have stood up for people when needed, some things you just can't let happen. Luckily I never had to deal with bullying and things like that while in elementary/high school and am becoming ever so glad I didn't - honestly high school is hard enough without being bullied and harassed.

and yea it does just seem like it's easier to not deal with the people causing problems because they do just that, cause problems and people like me and Phoebe will eventually just give up. I finally confided in my mom everything that was going on and she got involved but even her involvement didn't really help matters. but for Phoebe, as mentioned previously by myself and some others, the fact that the cause of this behavior towards her was her relationships with the boys was likely a very difficult thing to come totally clean to her mother about.

Watch out SHHS et al....this is one hard hitting, to the point piece, imo...
"Prince family friend Darby O'Brien says the school's inaction is inexcusable.

"Why didn't the officials stop it? Never stepped in and stopped it. They claimed they knew about it the week she died and now we know that's not true," said O'Brien.

According to the documents, in December 2009 a student notified a teacher that Flannery Mullins was taunting and threatening Prince in the hallway and bathroom of the high school.

The week before Prince's death, witnesses told investigators Sharon Velazquez was swearing and yelling at Prince in front of teachers in the cafeteria.

Velazquez was suspended later that day when a faculty member witnessed her yelling at Prince in Latin class.

And according to prosecutors the day Prince died, Sean Mulveyhill, Kayla Narey and Ashley Longe were in the school's library loudly yelling derogatory comments at Prince.
The district attorney has said it appears those comments were made in the presence of a faculty member and it went unreported until after Prince's death.

O'Brien said, "If one adult, one official from that school had stepped in during that time this wouldn't have happened."

http://www.necn.com/pages/landing_s...nce-sought-help-from=1&blockID=213224&feedID=

A few points,

-Seems Sharon didn't get punishment or reported for the cafeteria incident which was done in front of Teachers.

-Seems Flannery Mullins wasn't punished or reported for threatening Phoebe in the hallway and bathroom, which was reported by a student, to a Teacher.

-The obscene library incident occurred in front of faculty, and was not reported.

IMO...incompetance. THESE people are trusted with children? Makes me sick.

Imagine Phoebe sitting there...being berated, shamed, threatened...time and time and time again, while Teachers gaze away...

No wonder she gave up hope. How's that not criminal? It should be. IMO

Imagine Phoebe sitting there...being berated, shamed, threatened...time and time and time again, while Teachers gaze away...

No wonder she gave up hope. How's that not criminal? It should be. IMO

makes me completely ill and utterly heartbroken.

makes me completely ill and utterly heartbroken.
I hear you. And on top of that, this was what an "American" school was to her. She had no other reference. By the adults doing nothing, they told her...this is our normal. This is acceptable. Deal with it. IMO.

ETA: Incredibly, some residents of South Hadley are STILL saying this is normal!

just thinking...sometimes living with what we do is alot easier than living with what we did not do.

More on Mulveyhill's attorney...

""Not Guilty Verdict in Alleged Mob Shake Down"

""This was a case where everyone thought the jury was paying attention and did their job based on the law and the evidence," said Vincent Bongiorni, attorney for Arillotta.

The jury came back with the not-guilty verdict just hours after they began deliberations.

The defense had earlier accused the prosecution of bringing this case as a way of luring out other conspirators in Bruno's murder."

http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/14801351.html
http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/14159672.html

Exactly. A well prepared prosecution will have the information on the things behind these gateways ready to go if the defense screws up and opens them up.

What does defense potentially screwing things up down the road have to do with defense requesting information now?
By the way I believe that prosecution has to provide defense with all the evidence they have before trial.

From Ireland...
"School must be 'held to account' in Phoebe case
Governor hits out at teachers who ignored bullied teen's plea for help"

"THE governor of Massachusetts has called for school officials to be "held accountable" ..."

Court documents released by prosecutors in the case last Thursday claim that the bullied Irish girl begged school administrators a week before her death to be allowed home so she would not be beaten up.

Officials at the school have denied the allegation, and insisted that they only heard from teachers and students that Ms Prince was having trouble with her schoolmates in the week before she hanged herself.

The high school's counter claim stands in stark contrast to the case presented by prosecutors. Detailing a relentless campaign of harassment against the teenager, prosecutors describe three months in which she endured a torrent of verbal and physical abuse at the hands of six of her classmates, two of whom she had previously dated.

just thinking...sometimes living with what we do is alot easier than living with what we did not do.

Yes, because thinking about what we did not do brings regret, and with it facing up to failure. Whereas the opposite, living with what we do, now that's easier to rationalize as "its just how things are, I can't change them."

Yes, because thinking about what we did not do brings regret, and with it facing up to failure. Whereas the opposite, living with what we do, now that's easier to rationalize as "its just how things are, I can't change them."
Boy...ain't that the truth. I'm glad I have lived my life in color. ;)

It's that same ireport thing at CNN that was posted here earlier.
Thanks, Lawrence. I do have a laptop w/sound but it's new and the keys are stiff. I have another that is my old fave laptop. :) The keys are worn in and the keyboard layout, familiar...but it doesn't have sound. :banghead: I broke a jack inside the darn thing therefore the speakers won't play. I write and read way more than I view videos, so it seems a pain to change computers for 1 video.

So...to make a long story short. ;) or not so short, lol...thanks for watching the video. :)

I agree the state of mind doesn't matter in statutory rape charges because it's not forcible rape, but DA would have to prove sex took place to prove statutory rape. So how does DA intend to prove it? If she never accused anyone of statutory rape there unlikely to be physical evidence. So what is it based on? Depending on what DA intends to use as evidence I can speculate how state of mind could matter, but anyhow the judge will decide whether it's relevant information or not. I presume it is standard for defense to ask.

I don't think they can prove it, but that may not be the point. It may be a case of over chargeing possibly to intimidate the accused into a plea deal, plus the accusation alone will taint their lives for a long time, even if they aren't convicted and they wouldn't be able to defend themselves. That would be a form of punishment in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa