South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
She had her phone charging? Why charge your phone if you're going to kill yourself? The texts would be available if the battery ran low, no? I'd like to know more about that. The trial can't come fast enough, for me.

True. It may have been as simple as habit though. Get home, plug it in...

She had her phone charging? Why charge your phone if you're going to kill yourself? The texts would be available if the battery ran low, no? I'd like to know more about that. The trial can't come fast enough, for me.

You are jumping to conclusions based on another person stating they have seen it somewhere. I have not seen anything published by a reliable source as to what she did with her phone if anything.
And if anybody has links to this information they should post it.

You are jumping to conclusions based on another person stating they have seen it somewhere. I have not seen anything published by a reliable source as to what she did with her phone if anything.

I said:
"She had her phone charging? Why charge your phone if you're going to kill yourself? The texts would be available if the battery ran low, no? I'd like to know more about that. The trial can't come fast enough, for me."

They were questions not conclusions, jjen...:)

Here is where I read it, an article in People...

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20350702,00.html

"That afternoon she plugged her phone into the wall—perhaps to show the world the text messages that had terrorized her. "

I said:
"She had her phone charging? Why charge your phone if you're going to kill yourself? The texts would be available if the battery ran low, no? I'd like to know more about that. The trial can't come fast enough, for me."

They were questions not conclusions, jjen...:)

I also don't know why anyone would charge their phone if they were going to kill themselves soon thereafter (if it did happen), unless she decided to kill herself in the spur of the moment. The suicide does not sound like a planned decision on the girl's part. We know she had a date for the dance, had bought a dress to wear at the dance, and we've seen nothing published to suggest she had told anyone she planned to do it, or left a suicide note.

I also don't know why anyone would charge their phone if they were going to kill themselves soon thereafter (if it did happen), unless she decided to kill herself in the spur of the moment. The suicide does not sound like a planned decision on the girl's part. We know she had a date for the dance, had bought a dress to wear at the dance, and we've seen nothing published to suggest she had told anyone she planned to do it, or left a suicide note.
That's it. And she bought a dress and made plans as to when to be picked up for the dance, the day she died...it doesn't sound like it was planned, to me, either...

I wish I still lived on the east coast. I surely would make it a weekend trip to Mass. OR a few day trip. I know in June there is going to be a gathering of some sort. Let me see if I can find it.

(Back and forth today with my wee ones and computer. Hub is @ school and I'm retouching a photoshoot from a few weeks ago)

WWLP

Has no stories on Mulveyhill since April 1st/2010 and it's a fluff piece, imo...

http://www.wwlp.com/search/SERP?q=mulveyhill&t=web&s=wwlp.com&o=relevance&google_web=google

(It is the same website I saw all negative comments of Mulveyhill deleted from, I posted a comment mentioning such...and it was deleted, too)

Their last story was on how hard the bully's families have it, I posted the link within the last two days...but it's now not available :waitasec:...here's the tweet from WWLP's twitter about it, though...

"Charged teen's family impacted - The nation turned its eyes to Phoebe Prince's case as legal proceedings began, but... http://ow.ly/172bn8"
http://twitter.com/WWLp

They don't even name the 3 eldest in this more recent piece...and the reader might assume they were referring to the 3 following names, the younger girls, if they didn't see the locations reported are different. Mulveyhill, Narey, and Renuad are the oldest.
SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. (WWLP) - It may be a while until the teens are seen in a courtroom, however the teens accused for bullying Pheobe Prince to death did have to finally appear for booking .

The oldest three were spotted for booking at the Northampton State Police barracks Friday morning.
Ashley Longe and Flannery Mullins had to check in with Franklin/Hampshire Juvenile Court.
Sharon Velazquez checked in on Thursday.

http://ow.ly/1726nK

They are also the station that got the scoop, and leaked the info, about Phoebe "being prone to bullying"...

A parent told 22News that Phoebe Prince's family told school officials that Phoebe was "susceptible to bullying" when she first enrolled at South Hadley High School.
http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/was-phoebe-susceptible-to-bullying

And take a look at the pressure they are receiving from residents to shut up...check out their FB page comments...

http://www.facebook.com/WWLP22News

Now, this headline...

"Bullying blame game is on"...

http://ow.ly/172CXY

I ask, why is holding people responsible for their inaction termed a "blame game"?

Sometimes, I wonder about mainstream media...

I haven't seen any documents relating to Sean and Austen maybe there is more reference in those?

GREAT question, Andy. Where are the dox for Mulveyhill, Narey and Renaud? I've emailed a few news outlets to ask...if anybody else finds out anything on this, please post...

It makes sense if they were jealous of her, they probably wouldn't like to see her there especially at an occasion where she would be dressed up and looking even prettier than usual just in case she caught any of their "mens" eyes, they must have felt threatened by her on that level. Had she been a less attractive girl they may not have felt the need to keep it going for so long. JMO(just found out what that means so using it all the time now)

From my reading, this dance was the social event of the winter. The cotillion. Fancy dresses and makeup. No wonder there are reports Phoebe was excited to go, she was a pretty girl with a beautiful dress...and I can see some not wanting her there, too...for just that reason.

Please forgive me if this has been posted, it's all blurring together, again...;)

IMO, Phoebe was sexually harassed. How can the 'words' they used be termed any other way?

"U.S. Supreme Court: A potent legal weapon against school bullies"

But a little-known, and apparently little regarded, 10-year-old U.S. Supreme Court decision gives parents the power to take action in court and seek damages against school inaction. If a school district ignores harassment, and a child is effectively denied an education, a parent can take the district to court and ask that the district be punished -- in the pocketbook.

LaShonda Davis "was allegedly the victim of a prolonged pattern of sexual harassment by one of her fifth-grade classmates at Hubbard Elementary School, a public school in Monroe County (Ga.)," the 1999 Supreme Court opinion in Davis vs. Monroe County said.

LaShonda told her mother and her teacher, and her mother reported the many incidents to school officials, including the principal, the high court said.

The harassment finally ended in mid-May 1993 when the boy pleaded guilty to sexual battery, but not before LaShonda's high grades had dropped and her father discovered in April 1993 she had written a suicide note. At the time, Lashonda was 10 years old.

LaShonda's family filed suit against school officials and the school district under federal Title IX -- which bans sexual discrimination in schools receiving federal money -- but the lower federal courts said the law, while covering school officials who engaged in sexual discrimination, did not encompass student-on-student harassment. The language in Title IX includes no private right to sue.

In May 1993, the Supreme Court reversed the lower court decision, recognized the right to sue but made sure the grounds for suing were narrow and to the point. Even so, the ruling appears to apply to those severely bullied in school through the use of sexual harassment."
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010...on-against-school-bullies/UPI-54651270974600/

Earlier reporting from local media...the story on Feb. 5/2010 was...

School officials are nearing the end of the probe of high school bullying that preceded a freshman student's Jan. 14 suicide, and any discipline taken will be made public, according to School Committee Chairman Edward J. Boisselle.
Boisselle said when High School Principal Daniel T. Smith's investigation is complete - which, he said, could be today - officials will make public any policies that have been violated and related disciplinary measures taken against students.

"We will not name individuals and what the individual punishment is," Boisselle said.

He said the School Committee has full confidence in the high school administration's handling of the case.

"Although it's not as quickly as some people would have liked, we have to make sure our investigation is thorough," Boisselle said. "We would be much more likely to be questioning their handling of the case if they had exposed information that should have been off limits or violated students' civil rights."

Any thoughts on what Boisselle might have meant by that? I'm not up on American civil rights. ;) He seems to be expressing approval that the investigation was tight lipped. But what information is "off limits", I wonder? And what 'civil rights' of the bullies would/could have been violated by a school investigation? Other than the release of names...?

There was an assault at the school on Jan. 21st. Wonder what that was about..."earlier been disciplined"? Sharon?! Is that YOU, again? :nono:

And, South Hadley police are seeking a criminal complaint against a South Hadley High School student involved in an alleged Jan. 21 assault at the high school, according to LaBrie.

That incident involved two female students, one of whom had earlier been disciplined, according to school officials who declined to elaborate on the assault or the punishment. The request for the police complaint was forwarded to the Northwestern district attorney's office for review, LaBrie said.

But can it be Sharon? Does Sharon have previous charges? What punishment came of this incident, if any, I wonder...and what was the confrontation over...
"That investigation is complete," LaBrie said of the Jan. 21 assault, which police and school officials say did not cause physical injury.

Speaking about harassment of the bullies, the police chief responded...
"We are almost positive it's not local people because local people know these families," LaBrie said.

"The school has identified about 30 students as potential witnesses to bullying, though a couple of these students have declined to provide information on the advice of their lawyers, said Boisselle.

Boisselle said he does not think this would stymie the school investigation's progress.

"It's not even half, it's a couple of kids that didn't cooperate and provide information because a lawyer advised them that way," Boisselle said. "The kids were being interviewed as potential material witnesses."

Wonder who didn't cooperate?

http://www.gazettenet.com/2010/02/0...nd?SESS3268f2168c9cff93c8114fcedf95278c=gnews

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/fred_contrada_irish_remain_ret.html

thought this was an interesting read - about her hometown in Ireland. Talks about how they don't like to talk about stuff, heh. Didn't see it posted already but I'm a bit out of it so I apologize if it's already been posted.
I KNOW it's only a comment...but read what snookered1 posted on that article...I hope someone with a masslive account asks why she/he said that, I don't have one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther