South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

This is so sad. 300 students, geez thats almost the size of my grandson graduation classs.

I read that some students had called/text their parents that the Ferry might cancel this trip because if the fog.

Power was cut off as ship was sinking so many may be trapped inside. 324 students and 14 staff members from Danwon High School on ferry.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140416001525

The cause of the accident was not yet determined by 6 p.m., but the passengers suggested that the ferry hit a reef just before 9 a.m. when the vessel jolted with a loud noise.

Rescued passengers also speculated that thick fog may have contributed to the accident, but the meteorological office said the area was clear with visibility of about 20 kilometers.

It is also speculated that the ferry may have altered course in order to make up for time lost due to its departure being delayed by weather conditions.

Now The Korea Herald is saying that the 386 rescued was a miscalculation, and that 280 are still missing. :(

Hopefully, the missing are already rescued by nearby boats or ships.

The ships crew announced over and over for passengers to stay put or it would get worse.I am sure those children new to follow directions of adults and were not able to get out when the water was rising.Those missing probably drowned trapped in the ship.
The crew was ill prepared to handle an emergency and I wonder if they were able to escape. No link saw on Anderson Cooper.

The ships crew announced over and over for passengers to stay put or it would get worse.I am sure those children new to follow directions of adults and were not able to get out when the water was rising.Those missing probably drowned trapped in the ship.
The crew was ill prepared to handle an emergency and I wonder if they were able to escape. No link saw on Anderson Cooper.

This is devastating. I can see many people relying on the expertise of the captain and doing what he said. I wonder if, when the captain decided it was time to abandon ship, there was no power for the ships intercom.
It is very eerie looking at the photos of the ship and seeing only a handful get off. It looked like they had already evacuated everyone from the photos. Nothing like the Costa Concordia. JMO

This is devastating. I can see many people relying on the expertise of the captain and doing what he said. I wonder if, when the captain decided it was time to abandon ship, there was no power for the ships intercom.
It is very eerie looking at the photos of the ship and seeing only a handful get off. It looked like they had already evacuated everyone from the photos. Nothing like the Costa Concordia. JMO

Gosh,I hope you are right and other ships did rescue the hundreds missing but I have a feeling it will be worse than Costa Concordia. The crew should have had a plan for a capsizing ship and telling passengers to stay put or it would be worse is not good plan.Evacuating should have been priority number 1 immediately and calling for help,not waiting 6 minutes.

This is without a doubt the saddest tragedy I have ever heard of. For people to lose their lives right in front of persons who should be in command and have half a brain. My goodness these are children and children who trusted these adults to tell them what to do and to save their lives. I am just sickened to think about it.

This is beyond the pale and I am so sorry for the children and their families. I can't imagine putting my child on a ship to go for a holiday and then have this horrible thing to occur. Titanic sunk on April 15th 100 years ago. They won't have a hard time finding this ship as it is right before their eyes. :tears: and :please: jmo

I was thinking about the Titanic and wondering was there not enough life jackets on board?It should be a mandate if it isnt already that there should be a life jacket per person on board.

I was thinking about the Titanic and wondering was there not enough life jackets on board?It should be a mandate if it isnt already that there should be a life jacket per person on board.

Not sure how many, but there were life jackets, but they were told to put them on and not move. Then later they were told to jump into the water. The water was 40 to 50 degrees. Just stupid in my opinion.

On Fox News they just said the ferry captain was one of the first to get off the ship, jumping into the first and only lifeboat that was utilized. They showed video of him on the rescue ship with a grey hoodie covering his face. Grrrrr...

The cowardly captain hiding beneath his grey hoodie:

Lee-Joon-Seok-011.jpg

South Korea ferry disaster: Anger, agony for grieving parents and relatives

Anger is growing among grieving parents and relatives as confusion and conflicting reports emerge about the South Korean ferry disaster which has killed at least nine people.

Among the 290 people missing are hundreds of teenage school children, believed to be trapped after the ferry sank about 20 kilometres off the south-west coast of the country.

Grieving family members gathered on the quay of the coastal city of Jindo, huddled in blankets against the spring cold as efforts to locate the missing went into a second day.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...n-parents-consumed-by-anger-and-agony/5397406

Also on above link there's audio of an analysis from Matthew Carney

Analysis from Matthew Carney
There are all types of stories, reports coming out about the captain that the coastguard is investigating - that he did veer off the established route and veered into an area where there's rocky shoals and shallow reefs.

He's being investigated by the coastguard now. And that's where we're at.

The government subsequently - there seems to be some kind of fight here between the coastguard and the government - has come out and said "We're doing our own investigation. And, in fact, the ship didn't hit rock or a reef."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...n-parents-consumed-by-anger-and-agony/5397406

This just angers me beyond belief. The teens are told to stay put and obediently do, sinking to their death. Meanwhile, only one of the 46 lifeboats aboard the vessel deploys. One guess who is definitely not staying put and leaping onto it? Ding ding ding, you're right! The captain and crew!

I wonder if they "tripped and fell" into it, like the captain of the Concordia.

My first thought after reading about the tilting was a shifting of people or cargo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/world/asia/south-korean-ferry-accident.html?hp&_r=0

An investigator, who said he could not speak for attribution before the government had reached its final conclusions, said it was possible that the ferry’s cargo — which included 180 trucks and cars and more than 1,100 tons of cargo in shipping containers — had not been tied down properly. “That might have loosened them and caused them to slide to one side when the ship made its turn, and helped cause the ship to tilt out of control,” the investigator said.

On Fox News they just said the ferry captain was one of the first to get off the ship, jumping into the first and only lifeboat that was utilized. They showed video of him on the rescue ship with a grey hoodie covering his face. Grrrrr...

I'm tired of these captains saving themselves first. Remember the Costa Concordia cruise ship? They should be more like Captain Sullenberger. He was the last one off the plane in the Hudson River, and he searched the plane to be sure before he left.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back