Staples Co-Founder takes brave stand...Against Breastfeeding Mothers

I have no children. I also have no problem with mothers that breast feed.

That said, I don't think he was against breastfeeding just against the goverment telling him he had to have a room. I believe most companies will accommodate mothers without being "ordered". Maybe I am wrong and have just worked for good companies.

You were posting as I was typing, I think!
(I hope I'm not one of those "old prudes" because I think nursing should be done discreetly! I just find modesty refreshing in this day and age. :) )

LOL! No, not at all. I was always very discreet, and I am not really a modest person, I didn't just "whip it out" and start nursing, because I think you need to be respectful of others. I don't need to see your breasts and you don't need to see mine. ;)

I have no children. I also have no problem with mothers that breast feed.

That said, I don't think he was against breastfeeding just against the goverment telling him he had to have a room. I believe most companies will accommodate mothers without being "ordered". Maybe I am wrong and have just worked for good companies.

Sad to say, but I think from what I have seen and heard from other moms, I think you have just worked for good companies. I have heard of many employers to don't think it is necessary to have a spot for nursing moms. They think it is enough to tell them to go use the bathroom, or whatever.

Sad to say, but I think from what I have seen and heard from other moms, I think you have just worked for good companies. I have heard of many employers to don't think it is necessary to have a spot for nursing moms. They think it is enough to tell them to go use the bathroom, or whatever.

And that's when you say...

"Would you eat your lunch in the bathroom (you idiot)?"

Just leave out the idiot part. :smile:
Think it...just don't say it.

LOL! No, not at all. I was always very discreet, and I am not really a modest person, I didn't just "whip it out" and start nursing, because I think you need to be respectful of others. I don't need to see your breasts and you don't need to see mine. ;)

(bbm)
:floorlaugh:

Luckily, I did not have a mouthful of coffee/tea/soda as I read this.

:silly:

I may be in the minority, but I agree with the Staples guy. I breastfed four children, and I didn't need a special room to do it in, and no one ever saw my breasts. It may not be fair, but it's no one's fault women are the sex that get pregnant, give birth, and have the ability to breastfeed, so why are people so willing to penalize employers for this?

IMO, he's not advocating no breast feeding in public. What he's saying, and I agree with, is this is an expense a lot of companies can't afford, especially right now with the economy the way it is.

I own a small business. We gross a large sum of money, but because of the business we are in, we have a large amount of money in expenses. Our profit margin is small. IMO, we are also taxed to death. If the govenment wants to force businesses to provide private rooms for women to breastfeed and pump, then the govenment should give an equal tax break for the expense involved, and IMO, that's what people should be up in arms about, instead of assuming just because it's a business owner that person just has an unlimited amount of income to spend on everything under the sun.

All MOO.

I think I just figured out why breastfeeding bothers so many (at least in my family, anyway!)....women's breasts can serve more than one fuction....they can provide nourishment to her child; but they can also feel sexual pleasure. Maybe the people who don't want to think about nursing mothers are "stuck" on the sexual aspect of the breasts because they have no experience with the other....so when they see a woman nursing, they immediately equate it with sexual pleasure and it bothers them.

Personally, I can't even imagine someone thinking that women derive sexual pleasure from nursing, but I think I nursed for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many years!

*warning..... possibly explicit language ahead*

Maybe I'm a prude. Maybe my body is "wired"wrong, but my breasts SOLE purpose is to nourish children. While to my husband, they are a playground and might provide sexual pleasure to him, I feel absolutely nothing but happy feelings that he's so happy "playing on the playground." :floorlaugh: Actually... our hands and mouths get a lot of action in the bedroom, and I don't wear gloves or a mask when I go out. So what makes breasts so much different than all those other body parts that get just as equal time in providing "sexual pleasure?"

I agree that we should be discreet as women. Heck, peeing is natural, and so is giving birth, but the more discreet I can be about it and the display of the vah jay jay, the better. I breastfed my infants in public, and no one said a word. I didn't hide, but I didn't display, either. I do know there are some women with such an attitude about it that they don't even try to be discreet. There are lots of natural things that my body does....... anyone smell a fart?...... that I choose not to do in close proximity to people out of RESPECT for them, and in return, respect for myself.

I may be in the minority, but I agree with the Staples guy. I breastfed four children, and I didn't need a special room to do it in, and no one ever saw my breasts. It may not be fair, but it's no one's fault women are the sex that get pregnant, give birth, and have the ability to breastfeed, so why are people so willing to penalize employers for this?

IMO, he's not advocating no breast feeding in public. What he's saying, and I agree with, is this is an expense a lot of companies can't afford, especially right now with the economy the way it is.

I own a small business. We gross a large sum of money, but because of the business we are in, we have a large amount of money in expenses. Our profit margin is small. IMO, we are also taxed to death. If the govenment wants to force businesses to provide private rooms for women to breastfeed and pump, then the govenment should give an equal tax break for the expense involved, and IMO, that's what people should be up in arms about, instead of assuming just because it's a business owner that person just has an unlimited amount of income to spend on everything under the sun.

All MOO.

How much money does it cost to set aside a certain room, that is already there, for the nursing/pumping mother to use?

Some people can't pump.

And breast feeding is perfectly natural. After all, it's what those "*advertiser censored*" are for.

You've missed the point of the article.

"Tom Stemberg, co-founder of mega-office supply chain Staples is questioning an Obamacare provision that discourages job creation by dictating employers funnel their capital into lactation chambers."

It's not anti breast feeding. And when was it mandated that mothers have the right to bring their child to work? I assume these women would have to 'punch out' on the time clock for each feeding and diaper change, which would soon evolve into a 'right' that the employer must pay for. You know it's true. Or he could just fire them.

You've missed the point of the article.

"Tom Stemberg, co-founder of mega-office supply chain Staples is questioning an Obamacare provision that discourages job creation by dictating employers funnel their capital into lactation chambers."

It's not anti breast feeding. And when was it mandated that mothers have the right to bring their child to work? I assume these women would have to 'punch out' on the time clock for each feeding and diaper change, which would soon evolve into a 'right' that the employer must pay for. You know it's true. Or he could just fire them.

I was responding to a post about breast feeding in general.

Some people can't pump.

And breast feeding is perfectly natural. After all, it's what those "*advertiser censored*" are for.

Anyone afraid of boobies and babies needs therapy quickly! I thought men liked *advertiser censored*? Are they just jealous of the babies? ;)

Our society is screwed. The same men probably look at *advertiser censored* and go to strip clubs.

Lol, " lactation chamber" is a term that Tom has apparently coined himself - I guess to make it sound like poor business owners are going to have to construct elaborate rooms for nursing/pumping mothers.

The space provided can be temporary, it can be an area shielded by a curtain or divider, It can be a room that already exists and is just turned over for e mother's use as needed; it's not requiring anyone to spend anything at could even remotely be said to be harmful to businesses. It doesn't even require them to pay the break time.

Of course it's anti-breast feeding. It's anti-woman and anti-child as well. Like it or not, there are certain biological functions that need to be taken care of, whether an employer likes it or not: eating, going to the toilet, blowing one's nose, washing your hands, and yes, nursing or pumping milk.

Breasts are beautiful. I don't care if anyone breast feeds modestly or go full monty with the breasts.
I think there needs to be a more relaxed attitude about bf in general. Maybe, some moms could do a breast feeding sit in at Staples! lol!

*advertiser censored* are what make women awesome! Men don't have 'em and are just jealous!
:)

Anyone afraid of boobies and babies needs therapy quickly! I thought men liked *advertiser censored*? Are they just jealous of the babies? ;)

Our society is screwed. The same men probably look at *advertiser censored* and go to strip clubs.

Funny you should mention that today. I just read where an abused woman had to hide out from her husband to nurse because he would not allow it.
He thought her breasts belonged to him.

Can you imagine???

Funny you should mention that today. I just read where an abused woman had to hide out from her husband to nurse because he would not allow it.
He thought her breasts belonged to him.

Can you imagine???

WT?!
They belong to HER.
She needs to RUN away quickly. Jealous of a baby?

I know I make light of the boobies, babies and bf topic. But, I can't imagine the outrage. Are we going to have to burkas next to hide babies and cover ankles because, someone has a foot fetish?
I hope we progress instead regress as nation.

I am totally pro-breastfeeding. I've breastfed all of my eight kids, most over 2 years, one to 3 years old. I breastfeed in public and do not use a blanket cover. I do make sure my T-shirt is covering everything, and have occasionally used an infant sling over my shoulder to provide coverage in close-quarters situations (i.e. in the stands at my older children's sporting events).

But I am also not crazy about the Federal government dictating to companies in this manner. We have lost the primary intention of our founders that most issues be handled by the most local form of government necessary. Many states (24 according to this link: http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx) already have laws which require employers to provide private space for breastfeeding employees. Concerned citizens in states that do not have legal provisions should pursue it within their own states. Increasing numbers of Federal mandates bug me.

What they need is basically a small "cubby" set aside just for breast-pumping or breastfeeding.

A woman pumping milk takes up about as much space as a...

Xerox printer
Closet full of paper
A desk
A table

We aren't talking about anything as large as a break room, which all businesses have. Heck, most businesses used to have a smoking lounge where people could light up.

My two cents - this is just more Obama slamming. :cow: Nevermind that women might actually appreciate it. It has to be about "big gummint."

ETA: And I respect the Staples guy for stating his own belief. But now that he's let us know that he doesn't really care about women who need to feed their babies, I don't have to give him anymore of our money. Bye-Bye. The "big government" shouldn't have to make people respect mothers, women, and children. But that's what we've come to in this country.

All MOO.

I agree too! I am all for breastfeeding and I think a woman should be able to do it wherever she needs to. Babies are hungry so feed them for gosh sakes. Don't employees have break rooms? That's where my employees breast fed and nobody cared a bit.

This is about mandating businesses have lactating chambers for working mothers. That means even if you don't have a lactating employee, you still have to set aside the space - even if you have a new mother who bottle feeds.

It's too big a burden to place on businesses right now in this economic time. There are less burdensome (on the business) ways to accomplish this. If women want to go back to work while breastfeeding, they face some challenges, but I don't think we re-arrange the world and force businesses to accommodate them. Some companies do and that's great - people could support those companies. I just hate all these government mandates by King Obama. he's getting on my last nerve.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back