Stars of TLCs Sister Wives Under Investigation

I always wondered the same thing. Most families with a few children and both spouses working, can barely afford to even get by. But because Kody is legally only married to one wife, the others can probably get public assistance of some kind.

I always liked Mary (or Meri) best. I can only think she had very low self esteem to go along with the 'sister wife' thing. And you can see that a lot of bad feelings arise when Kody spends more time with one or another of them. Just an observation.

They are not on public assistance of any kind, to my knowledge. They have stated that they are not and as they are a very public family and it is illegal to receive public assistance (except SSI) under most circumstances when you are residing with the other parent and that other parent works, it is unlikely that they are lying about that.

Three of the original four parents worked prior to their move to Las Vegas. Then, they got the reality show which pays them. They also have been living off Janelle's 401ks to some degree since they moved. Four of them are currently looking for work in Vegas.

It is possible to raise that many kids without public assistance, especially when there are several adults who are able and willing to work. These are frugal people who really watch their pennies.

I was always under the impression that you can only be legally married to one person. So any other marriage after that would be a religious marriage and not a legal one. In that respect, no laws have been broken. So, what's the big deal now?

Personally, I think he's kinda cheesy. Other than that, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, the children are being cared for, and taxes are getting paid, what do I care?

In fact, I applaud them for standing up for what they believe in. Good for them.

Apparently in Utah there is a law that states that if a person cohabits with another in a marriage-like relationship while already married to another, that's bigamy and illegal.

Usually, polygamists in Utah are not public about it and it can be easy to hide what their status is. Also, the authorities tend to look the other way as long as the families do not cause trouble and are properly secretive. But the Browns have been very, very public and critical of the law. Utah likely felt that was a slap in the face so they decided to investigate.

Boytwnmom:

Not sure if this is the blog you were referring to or not:
http://www.lessthanreality.com/2011/06/sister-wives-starting-again-in-vegas.html

It provides a recap of their life in Vegas. One of the things that bothers me about it, though, is the blogger keeps stating that Meri "can't" have more children. I could swear that in an earlier episode (back when Meri and Kody were going away for some "alone"time for their anniversary), they had discussed having another child via IVF. Now, I know that's a lot more complicated than having a child the standard way. Just saying that I'm not sure Meri "can't" have more kids, rather that she "won't" have more kids, if this is what she has to do to do it.

And re: the last part of your post above:
As has been stated by many posts, in Fundamental Mormonism, a woman MUST be married or sealed to a man to get to their heaven, which is a PLANET. On that planet, the man is exalted to the God like being. (I shudder when I say that) If her husband doesn’t call her name, they’ll be no heaven for her, um I mean Planet. Husband taking you to heaven, this is what they don’t want you to think about. And much more - that's why we are looking into the religion.

Do they seriously not realize how ridiculous this sounds?? People have been locked away in mental institutions for thinking less outlandish things....

Meri had the option of IVF but stated that, although she wanted more kids, she is done, unless it happens without fertility treatments of some sort. She kind of said, "What's the point?" We'll see if she holds to that position.

As to their religion, what they believe, with the exception of earthly polygamy, is believed by mainstream Mormons, several of whom are our friends right here on websleuths. Any religion can be criticized and seen as "crazy" by people outside of it. Discussions about why they practice what they do are fair, but I'm uncomfortable discussing the validity of their viewpoints.

I know a lot of Mormons and I find them to be hardworking, honest people who adore their families. As a group, they seem to be great citizens and friends for the most part, seriously willing to lend a hand and help one another to a degree not often seen in other religions.

it's http://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/sister-wives-and-lifestyle.html. It has some pretty good articles. It also covers the Jeffs case. At least two of the Sister Wives kids allegedly post there or say that they are the kids, Mariah and one other one. I'm out the door for vacation or I'd read it some more and remember it better!

I understand people's views on religion and not wanting to "criticize" what people believe because of religion. I guess I'm not that flexible. I believe men can do a lot of harm through their "interpretation" of what God wants and they can dupe followers into almost anything from what I've seen. But then I'm pretty much a cynic about all religion. My view is that to the extent their is a God we are not able to understand "it" and thus whatever we believe or imagine is just through the veil of our human limitations. I distrust any and all who claim to speak for God. But I especially hate the use of religion to elevate men and oppress women. I guess a lot of people aren't bothered by that as long as it's done in the name of religion, from what I see written here. I'm used to being a minority so I don't mind. I digress...

Merri, yes, I think she just didn't/couldn't get pg again. Kody wanted to "give" her IVF for her birthday or anniversary or something and she said no. I like her and the other wives except for the new one-her I think I'd throttle.

Boytwnmom:

Not sure if this is the blog you were referring to or not:
http://www.lessthanreality.com/2011/06/sister-wives-starting-again-in-vegas.html

It provides a recap of their life in Vegas. One of the things that bothers me about it, though, is the blogger keeps stating that Meri "can't" have more children. I could swear that in an earlier episode (back when Meri and Kody were going away for some "alone"time for their anniversary), they had discussed having another child via IVF. Now, I know that's a lot more complicated than having a child the standard way. Just saying that I'm not sure Meri "can't" have more kids, rather that she "won't" have more kids, if this is what she has to do to do it.

And re: the last part of your post above:
As has been stated by many posts, in Fundamental Mormonism, a woman MUST be married or sealed to a man to get to their heaven, which is a PLANET. On that planet, the man is exalted to the God like being. (I shudder when I say that) If her husband doesn’t call her name, they’ll be no heaven for her, um I mean Planet. Husband taking you to heaven, this is what they don’t want you to think about. And much more - that's why we are looking into the religion.

Do they seriously not realize how ridiculous this sounds?? People have been locked away in mental institutions for thinking less outlandish things....

I understand people's views on religion and not wanting to "criticize" what people believe because of religion. I guess I'm not that flexible. I believe men can do a lot of harm through their "interpretation" of what God wants and they can dupe followers into almost anything from what I've seen. But then I'm pretty much a cynic about all religion. My view is that to the extent their is a God we are not able to understand "it" and thus whatever we believe or imagine is just through the veil of our human limitations. I distrust any and all who claim to speak for God. But I especially hate the use of religion to elevate men and oppress women. I guess a lot of people aren't bothered by that as long as it's done in the name of religion, from what I see written here. I'm used to being a minority so I don't mind. I digress...

Snipped by me for space.

I hear ya' and you have a valid point when it comes to interpreting religious tenets in a way that justifies war, murder, pedophilia, the degradation of women, genital mutilation, terrorist acts, dismemberment, etc. I'm right with ya' on that and it bothers me when people use their religion to justify any kind of evil.

But in this context, wholesale criticism or mockery of the beliefs of consenting adults whose voluntary actions haven't been shown to harm anyone other than possibly themselves, seems different. I just don't think this is the right venue for that kind of debate, all things considered. But, I do get what you're saying. And I don't make the rules!

I understand being cautious about religion. Perhaps I am flexible, but I think it's because I grew up in a very devout, fundamental, independent, Baptist faith. They had good and bad people, like most faiths, but they were so critical of anyone that was different, that it turned me against them. Talk about a group who puts women below men and boasts of their ignorance. I won't go there, even though I'm sure many children were harmed from the verabal abuse I think they hurled at their members.

I still think all should be free to worship as they please, unless they harming others. Oh, ref. the posts upthead about Abraham. I do believe God knows all, sees all, etc., but I just have a problem with imagining God even using this "test" of killing his son. Perhaps, I am not wise enough to understand it. I think God will understand that I am a only a human and not hold it against me that I don't like that story. LOL

I wonder how society would feel if a woman took on multiple husbands and said it was because of her religious beliefs? Bet they'd still get her for bigamy.

I think their beliefs are bizarre. Having said that, I a) do not know anyone who practices the same religion they do; and b) am truthfully in the dark as to what, really they believe, without having it get warped by the tabloids or reality tv.

If there are people here on WS who believe the same things they do, then perhaps they can tell me (as well as others who may be feeling just as confused) what this religion -- I'm not even sure what the correct name of it is -- is all about. Is the whole "heaven is a planet, you get to go there, but if your husband doesn't call your name, you don't" issue correct?

I am not trying to offend anyone. If someone felt my religous beliefs were odd, I would welcome the chance to enlighten them in whatever aspect they found confusing.

And, again, while it may seem like no one is being harmed by this living situation, there are different types of "harm"...some obvious, some not seen untill much later.

I understand being cautious about religion. Perhaps I am flexible, but I think it's because I grew up in a very devout, fundamental, independent, Baptist faith. They had good and bad people, like most faiths, but they were so critical of anyone that was different, that it turned me against them. Talk about a group who puts women below men and boasts of their ignorance. I won't go there, even though I'm sure many children were harmed from the verabal abuse I think they hurled at their members.

I still think all should be free to worship as they please, unless they harming others. Oh, ref. the posts upthead about Abraham. I do believe God knows all, sees all, etc., but I just have a problem with imagining God even using this "test" of killing his son. Perhaps, I am not wise enough to understand it. I think God will understand that I am a only a human and not hold it against me that I don't like that story. LOL

(above bbm) I think you're probably right.

I wonder how society would feel if a woman took on multiple husbands and said it was because of her religious beliefs? Bet they'd still get her for bigamy.

Would that be before, or after, they called her every demeaning name in the book?

(above bbm)
But how do we know the children aren't being hurt? Not physically, but emotionally, mentally, psychologically. What is living this type of lifestyled doing to their minds, their thoughts and perceptions? The girls are going to grow up thinking, "I must submit to men. I am a doormat." The boys are going to be thinking, "Ahhh...I see. This is how we treat women." They didn't ask to be put in this situation -- there was no "choice" for them. If the parents want mess up their own psyche's, fine. But don't drag innocent kids into it.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's damaging. What most of us would consider a normal happy family life is full of hardship. Parents get divorced and children are affected. A loved one dies, children are affected. I didn't grow up in a polygamist home, and I was hurt emotionally, mentally and psychologically. That is part of growing up! I consider my childhood 'normal' and my parents were and are nurturing and supportive.

I don't see how women are treated or protrayed poorly on the show. They aren't subserviant.

How is this any different than the Duggars?

How can they get into trouble if they are legal marriages?

How can they get into trouble if they are legal marriages?

Other than the first wife, they are NOT legal marriages. Polygamy is not legal, regardless of "religious" beliefs.

And therein lies my issue with people who practice polygamy:

1) It is illegal and they know that
2) They falsely cloak the practice in religion so they can use "religious persecution" as a defense when necessary. (As with Warren Jeffs)

I believe many organized religions interpret the bible to suit their own purposes. But the Mormons went so far as to "add" to the scriptures with the Book of Mormon. If that's not self-serving, I don't know what is!

And just so you know.......I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Osmonds!!!!

I am such a goof
I had meant to say
If they AREN'T legal marriages
Jeepers

:waitasec: I thought mainstream Mormonism adopted polygamy due to the many men lost crossing the plains to settle Utah... men took on the windows and their children in order to ensure their safety/survival on the frontier.

Imo, the Kody brand is more about personal ego, or maybe taxation, than it is about religion. Just the feeling I get.

So.....

spoiler space>>>>>

Mariah is gay. My jaw literally dropped open and I never do that. They got me this time. They really got me.

So.....

Mariah is gay. My jaw literally dropped open and I never do that. They got me this time. They really got me.

Hhhmmm, clicked to a Law & Order rerun too quickly after Maddy's wedding, I suppose!

Didn't she choose the college in Utah because she wanted to live the polygamy lifestyle???

Caught the arrangements for Mykelti's wedding, though.

There's a TV at the end of my treadmill, I was walking, OK?

Thanks for posting, off to Google....

Her revelation happened at the very end of the episode. Don't worry if you missed it - -all of next weeks episode is about this. All your questions will be answered.

Her revelation happened at the very end of the episode. Don't worry if you missed it - -all of next weeks episode is about this. All your questions will be answered.

Most of my questions are about Kody....

Love, love, love the illustrative "cult de sac" term used upthread.

Was Hunter (or was that Logan?) accepted into the Air Force Academy? I really haven't been paying attention, since nice weather means I walk outdoors instead of on the treadmill.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back