State Attorney's Office Responds To Political Attack

I can't take credit for this find. It is in the Daily Updates thread but I felt it deserved it's own. This is some good stuff.

I took that to mean Baez forgot to read the part in the Cannons of Ethics about spouting off stupid allegations.

Wasn't it posted on this site that he, Baez, had not met his continuing education requirements in this area? IIRC someone found that information while looking for the date he was admitted to the Bar. I remember finding that interesting because in my field if you don't meet your CEU requirements your license is suspended until you do. I guess the seminar he skipped covered this area.
smile.gif

We don't know that LE hasn't tried.

I think that the A's won't believe a thing LE or the SA says anyway. They're in their own little world, pretending all is well and Caylee will be home any day, just like KC is telling them.:bang:

I admire the SA, he shows great character. The A's will never believe that baby is gone, even if her tiny skeletal remains are found, they will deny it is her and say they are being tricked.

Good find Tigress!

Very good response, I think. Question for you legal beagles, what exactly is this line below about?

""As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics."

Once you pass the "Bar Exam," you have to also pass a professional responsibility test, and maintain yourself in "good ethical standing." The actual rules are spelled out in the Model Rules of Professional Conduct: http://www.abanet.org/cpr/mrpc/mrpc_toc.html

There are general ones for all lawyers, like once someone hires a lawyer to represent them, you can ONLY talk to the lawyer - you can't even send anything to the client. Everything goes through the lawyer (to avoid anything shady). Also lawyers can't have 2 clients whose interests conflict - unless they both waive it in writing.

There are also specific prosecutor/defense rules - like the prosecutor can't talk to the accused without his or her attorney present unless its waived in writing. The defense lawyer cannot put his client on the stand to perjure himself. Defense lawyers also can't prevent their clients from doing something "stupid" - they can only advise them against it. Like if the client insists on taking a drug test although both client and attorney know it will come back positive.

There's a lot of rules, and you'd be suprised that MOST are almost always followed at least to the letter (I'd say 60% to the 'spirit' of the law)

Also here I think they are talking about how both sides can't intentionally taint the jury pool. If some evidence is clearly prejudicial, the prosecutor has to at least take steps to try to keep it private - although usually its more in LEs hands then the prosecutor. If its "unduly prejudicial" the prosecutor might ask for it to be sealed until trial. At trial everything comes out, but they just don't want a bias jury before the trial even opens

"As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics. I believe the defense attorney's wild allegations serve no legitimate purpose other than to obfuscate the search for the truth. We will continue to prosecute this case in the courts and not in the media.

He got in the media and said Jose's little game was smoke and mirrors and wild allegations, then said his code prevented him from responding.

If I could say I like ice cream I would tell you that Pralines and cream is my favorite. I am ethically barred from telling you so so I will say nothing.

You still come away knowing what my favorite ice cream is.

I reckon that was a back-handed yotch slap.

He let OS put it in the media. His response was in a private email. In a roundabout way he responded without an ethics violation..smart man.

I found the following site informative:

http://www.answers.com/topic/canons-of-ethics

*snip*

The canons of ethics have been replaced by the code of Professional Responsibility which sets forth the standards of professional conduct prescribed for lawyers in their professional dealings.

(at link - click on Professional Responsibility)

Thanks acez. i guess Baez has not read this part:
>>A lawyer must seek to preserve the integrity of the judicial process. Therefore, a lawyer cannot try to influence a judge, juror, or prospective juror through improper communications or make public comments on a case if the lawyer knows that the statements will prejudice the proceeding.<<

Or this one:
>>A lawyer must preserve the integrity of the judicial system. Therefore, it is professional misconduct to make a false or reckless statement concerning the quality or integrity of a judge, adjudicative officer, or candidate for judicial or legal office.<<

So, does this mean he could be disbarred for prof. misconduct due to his statements about Lamar?

I agree that this last forensic evidence is definitive. Is there a reason that LE would not approach the family with a victim services person or counsellor on hand to explain that their little granddaughter is deceased? Is there a reason they need to wait until trial?

CA and GA wouldn't believe it if they were shown proof! Cindy will not accept the fact that Caylee is gone.
She still thinks Caylee is alive. She has called them names and liars so why should LE try and reach out to them?
It is not their place to get the Anthony's counseling.

"As much as I would like to respond to these apparent smoke and mirror allegations, I am prohibited from doing so, as is the Defense, as described in the Cannons of Ethics. I believe the defense attorney's wild allegations serve no legitimate purpose other than to obfuscate the search for the truth. We will continue to prosecute this case in the courts and not in the media.

He got in the media and said Jose's little game was smoke and mirrors and wild allegations, then said his code prevented him from responding.

If I could say I like ice cream I would tell you that Pralines and cream is my favorite. I am ethically barred from telling you so so I will say nothing.

You still come away knowing what my favorite ice cream is.

I reckon that was a back-handed yotch slap.

Very well said!

Wasn't it posted on this site that he, Baez, had not met his continuing education requirements in this area? IIRC someone found that information while looking for the date he was admitted to the Bar. I remember finding that interesting because in my field if you don't meet your CEU requirements your license is suspended until you do. I guess the seminar he skipped covered this area.
smile.gif

It's here somewhere, yeah. I remember reading that too.

I heard on TV that so far KC Nov trial date is still on....does anyone know if that is the check charge case? and will that still go on...and then a later date the murder one? and if so ....is there a date for that....CA said on the today show she hopes for a speedy trial.....and do you think it will be on TV like OJ;s was?

Allow me to add this tidbit - not worthy of it's own thread, but relevant to this particular State Attorney's office (I posted this in another thread, but it's definitely relevant here). I think it shows just how professional this SA's office is in more than one way, such as the above statement.

Some interesting facts from WFTV's 5 PM newscast today:

The very first trial in the USA which resulted in a conviction of a person from DNA evidence was right here in Orange County FL, and the State Attorney at that time was our very own Lawson Lamar. (1987 Tommy Lee Andrews trial, convicted of 2 rapes).

In addition, the prosecutor for Andrews' trial will be assisting on Casey's trial.

That is very interesting indeed..thanks for posting.

smile.gif

Well, isn't it ironic?*humming Alanis Morrisettes tune*

I think he was very smooth. It doesn't get much better than that.

I can't take credit for this find. It is in the Daily Updates thread but I felt it deserved it's own. This is some good stuff.

I took that to mean Baez forgot to read the part in the Cannons of Ethics about spouting off stupid allegations.

Yeah, that's a NICE little scalpel-cut, there. :)Take THAT JB!

I agree that this last forensic evidence is definitive. Is there a reason that LE would not approach the family with a victim services person or counsellor on hand to explain that their little granddaughter is deceased? Is there a reason they need to wait until trial?

The family will not hear it?

Allow me to add this tidbit - not worthy of it's own thread, but relevant to this particular State Attorney's office (I posted this in another thread, but it's definitely relevant here). I think it shows just how professional this SA's office is in more than one way, such as the above statement.

Some interesting facts from WFTV's 5 PM newscast today:

The very first trial in the USA which resulted in a conviction of a person from DNA evidence was right here in Orange County FL, and the State Attorney at that time was our very own Lawson Lamar. (1987 Tommy Lee Andrews trial, convicted of 2 rapes).

In addition, the prosecutor for Andrews' trial will be assisting on Casey's trial.

Big guns. VERY experienced.

*snipped*

The defense lawyer cannot put his client on the stand to perjure himself.
There's a lot of rules, and you'd be suprised that MOST are almost always followed at least to the letter (I'd say 60% to the 'spirit' of the law)

*snipped*

Oh man, this is really going to make it tough for JB - how will he stop Casey from lying - put her on the stand, but make sure her mouth is covered in duct tape?

He let OS put it in the media. His response was in a private email. In a roundabout way he responded without an ethics violation..smart man.

These guys are brilliant and seasoned. On the flip side I had to add Baez' spokesmans "Confession" to my signature line.

I reckon he's back working in the bait shop

We don't know that LE hasn't tried.

I think that the A's won't believe a thing LE or the SA says anyway. They're in their own little world, pretending all is well and Caylee will be home any day, just like KC is telling them.:bang:

Agreed, and I think they think KC will be back home also.

Just BIZZARE I tell ya!!!:confused:

These guys are brilliant and seasoned. On the flip side I had to add Baez' spokesmans "Confession" to my signature line.

I reckon he's back working in the bait shop

Baez will need some NOS to keep up with these guys. They're a tough act to follow.

Love the signature line, BTW. :crazy:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther