State v Bradley Cooper 3-17-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's a big loss for the prosecution. There's nothing like a picture to help tell the story. I don't know if they needed his permission or a search warrant or what to get pics of his neck and bandaged finger... they noticed what they noticed on 7/12 but didn't photograph it.

Maybe they were too occupied with a missing person and on 7/12 Brad wasn't exacttly a suspect ?

Had they taken pictures Kurtz would have a whole litter of kittens about a rush to judgement. LE can't win for losing.

Yeah it's not just the bandaged finger, but what was *under* that bandage and how bad was it? We'll never know.

They better have some (other) physical or strong circumstantial evidence tying BC to the murder or he's not going to get convicted.

They must. I mean, they've just GOT TO. I can't believe Willoughby would take this case if there wasn't something more compelling than what has been testified to so far.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for sure.
I'm hoping they are saving the best for last. We still need to hear from the computer geeks, Detective Daniels, the FBI undercover agent, the ME, the cell phone (towers and pings) and the VOIP experts.
Lets hope there is something that turns the light on for the jury.

Yeah it's not just the bandaged finger, but what was *under* that bandage and how bad was it? We'll never know.

They better have some (other) physical or strong circumstantial evidence tying BC to the murder or he's not going to get convicted.

They must. I mean, they've just GOT TO. I can't believe Willoughby would take this case if there wasn't something more compelling than what has been testified to so far.

I feel the same way SG...but you think they would get to some of that before they lose this jury completely.

They appear to be going sequentially through the case so it's going to take as long as it takes to get to the stuff that is compelling, wherever it falls in the line of witnesses.

Maybe they were too occupied with a missing person and on 7/12 Brad wasn't exacttly a suspect ?

Had they taken pictures Kurtz would have a whole litter of kittens about a rush to judgement. LE can't win for losing.

Come on RC...if 7/12 was just about a missing person case, why would they have taken any pictures? She obviously wasn't in the house. They took pictures to capture the potential crime scene.

lose them now and wake them up with the REAL evidence at the end so it is fresh on their minds before Kurtz puts on his defense spin.

Is it possible that Willoughby felt more pressure in this case because of the Jason Young case and the publicity surrounding this case? Cary isn't exactly a hotbed of crime and people wanted answers here. I mean honestly, how would it have looked two unsolved high profile murders in his district? He was already catching flack for JY still being free.

Not saying he rushed anything since the evidence is still being presented, but just a though. 3 months isn't a long time to go through all the evidence in this case considering a lot of it deals with interviewing other people.

Is it possible that Willoughby felt more pressure in this case because of the Jason Young case and the publicity surrounding this case? Cary isn't exactly a hotbed of crime and people wanted answers here. I mean honestly, how would it have looked two unsolved high profile murders in his district? He was already catching flack for JY still being free.

Not saying he rushed anything since the evidence is still being presented, but just a though. 3 months isn't a long time to go through all the evidence in this case considering a lot of it deals with interviewing other people.

I just don't buy that they'd want to pin it on BC to look good in the eyes of the community! How good would it look to let someone else keep killing people??

If he felt pressure from the Michelle Young case, then he should have indicted Jason Young first. By 10/08, they had almost 2 years of evidence and the case was beyond solid.

Is it possible that Willoughby felt more pressure in this case because of the Jason Young case and the publicity surrounding this case?

very doubtful

Have we heard any testimony yet about the conflicting statements made by the defendant? I mean have we heard what he said to officers compared to what he said in his depositions. I know we heard the one where he said they hadn't talked about divorce in 2 months.

Come on RC...if 7/12 was just about a missing person case, why would they have taken any pictures? She obviously wasn't in the house. They took pictures to capture the potential crime scene.

Did they know someone else did not come in the house and take Nancy ? After all, all Brad says he knows is he heard the door close. I agree, they were photographing a potential crime scene - good for them, smart move. As I said, LE can't win for losing - had they not taken these pictures everyone would be squawking because they did not and yapping about wth were they thinking (or not). Sometimes it is reasonable to admit to ourselves that LE knows a heck of a lot more than we do and to sit back and armchair quarterback them with zero training or understanding is pretty - well I won't say it.

If he refused to be examined or photographed, that in itself would be very telling.
Like Jason Young, all they needed was a non testimonial order and he would be compelled.

Exactly!

Sheriff's investigators can legally use a nontestimonial order to obtain such evidence as fingerprints, palm prints, footprints, blood specimens, hair samples, voice samples and photographs.

Willoughby said the order is less intrusive than a search warrant and requires the judge to hear less evidence before approving the order.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2006/11...vidence.html#storylink=misearch#ixzz1GuKyrXpn

Have we heard any testimony yet about the conflicting statements made by the defendant?

a little, yes.

LTF card swiping versus not card swiping

Yep, the erasing of phone and subsequent search warrant has me intrigued. I don't know how you'd erase a BB without actually selecting that option from the BB menu and then that asks for confirmation before delete actually happens.

I have to say that I don't understand how this happened either. I use a Blackberry on a daily basis, and I know how to wipe the data, but you have to TRY to do it, it is not just "oops, I pressed the "Wipe all the data" button." It is buried in the menus pretty deep.

One possibility. It is a tenet of computer forensics, and a BlackBerry would be included is that you don't examine the data ON THE DEVICE. Usually, an exact copy is made to a media or similar phone using forensic tools. I have two possible reasons the data was wiped.

1. He tried to enter the password to unlock the phone too many times, and the phone erased the data.

2. The forensic tool malfunctioned and erased the data accidentally.

I would assume that NC was NOT using a Blackberry Enterprise Server for e-mail. This is usually done by companies for e-mail, since NC was not working, she would be unlikely to be using this option.

She could have configured e-mail from her phone provider, most who sell Blackberries have a server setup so you can forward mail to it.

The mere fact Willoughby moved in only 4 months on Brad while he strung an obvious slam dunk case along for 3 years (Jason Young) is what I am hanging my hat on for now.

Nonverbal communication accounts for something like 90% of how we learn and 'read' other people. Nancy's friends SAW with their very own eyes things that were out of place, things that didn't look right, differences, behaviors of the defendant.

The cops are always suspicious and they look at everything too. I'm not saying they don't make mistakes and get things wrong, but they too use all their senses to make note. Intuition as someone is being interviewed can't be quantified, but cops do get that inner feeling.

So in the early days of the investigation, the cops know that statistically it's usually the spouse or ex that is most probably involved. They would be remiss if they didn't spend time investigating that person. And they see things that set off their antennae. No it's not 100% all the time, but it's part of the whole picture for them.

Nancy's friends KNEW something was wrong. They knew Nancy's behaviors, knew from their prior experiences with her that she was dependable and communicative. They knew how tense things were between the Coopers. You can't just forget all you know when something bad happens. We are an accumulation of our experiences. Of *course* they immediately suspected Brad. How could they not? Not just suspect....felt it deep down (and not because they didn't 'like' him).

a little, yes.

LTF card swiping versus not card swiping

That's right. I forgot about that. I'm still shaking my head that he would lie about something like that that is so easy to verify. That made me wonder if the officer didn't misunderstand Brad. Does anyone know if he has any accent (not the lovely North Carolina twang but a Canadian type.) (Not that the Canadian accent isn't lovely.)

I just don't buy that they'd want to pin it on BC to look good in the eyes of the community! How good would it look to let someone else keep killing people??

I'm not suggesting that. I'm questioning if they could do a thorough investigation in 3 months on a circumstantial case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels