State v Bradley Cooper 4/14/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know why the judge got so angry? Was there something online which violated a juror's confidentiality? Or info on an undercover officer?

I can't read all of GOLO's comments - it drives me insane!!! - but I sure hope that someone in the courtroom didn't have some personal knowledge of the undercover officer or one of the jurors and was stupid enough to post it. I can reasonably assume that may have happened, but the defense hasn't gotten to cross yet, so I'm on the fence until there is a snapshot of the text, a video of the offender texting, or some dna from a type pad to be tested 16 ways to Sunday.

I believe AL's coverage on this was way too vague. I'd like to know specifics. The courtroom is open to the public, it is videotaped, and everyone has a right to free speech. Of course people discuss the case.

The only thing I can figure is it had to do with a leak of confidential information or as Grit suggested, juror intimidation.

But we don't know any details...

This is just a guess but one of the comments I saw yesterday on the wral twitter site was something about the jurors being lost on the computer testimony or something to that effect. It wasn't wral that tweeted that. It was someone else who was in the courtroom and added that comment to #coopertrial. I have to think that would make him angry to have someone judging the jurors and their reactions to the testimony.

I believe AL's coverage on this was way too vague. I'd like to know specifics. The courtroom is open to the public, it is videotaped, and everyone has a right to free speech. Of course people discuss the case.

The only thing I can figure is it had to do with a leak of confidential information or as Grit suggested, juror intimidation.

But we don't know any details...

I would like more detail about exactly what triggered the judge's outbursts--twice, yesterday. But we may never know. I am just counting the minutes until we can get our live stream back.

Wading into the golo place is like getting lost in a trailer park in a really bad area of town. Those people are really pro brad, but trememdously anti victim/nancy. :(

I can't read all of GOLO's comments - it drives me insane!!! - but I sure hope that someone in the courtroom didn't have some personal knowledge of the undercover officer or one of the jurors and was stupid enough to post it. I can reasonably assume that may have happened, but the defense hasn't gotten to cross yet, so I'm on the fence until there is a snapshot of the text, a video of the offender texting, or some dna from a type pad to be tested 16 ways to Sunday.

I agree, GOLO drives me crazy too! I did a quick glance at the comments on the latest BC article. Seems most of the commentors are pro-BC, and many slam AL and WRAL's coverage, as well as slam the judge on this case. Maybe that's why that site was specifically pointed out? Because it tends to be highly critical of both the prosecution and judge?

I don't know...just thinking out loud... :waitasec:

I read a twitter comment last night that made mention of 'all the creepy people in the courtroom that were too attached to this trial'. The jurors are the most important people in that courtroom and I can surely understand why the judge wants them protected....and happy.
But it's still somewhat a mystery this morning.

IMO, electronic media should be barred from the court room when a confidential witness is on the stand anyway. It seems to be the judge should have been more proactive about that from the beginning. What exactly did he think would happen? I agree the comments about the jury have no business out there either. JMO.

So any bets on a lengthy cross?

I hope it won't be but 3 minutes but knowing Kurtz and the desperation they are facing, he may cross for the entire day just throwing more junk out there to trip up things.

Yeah, our updates were better than WRAL's last night. Sad. Thanks to all of you guys!

Wading into the golo place is like getting lost in a trailer park in a really bad area of town. Those people are really pro brad, but trememdously anti victim/nancy. :(

The other night some of those posters were just flat out saying Nancy deserved it and more accusations along those lines. I had to leave quickly. Those were the posts that gave me the impression that a huge majority of those folks over there need an education, some culture, and a bath.

I think the judge was having a bad day yesterday. Between Kurtz going on and on and on about something ruled on months ago, and someone tweeting live from the courtroom <I think>, his patience wore a bit thin. Technology is advancing so quickly it's hard for anyone to keep up. Apply that to a court of law, where it's difficult to find time to even keep up with new law, old law applications/case law, etc.....I can see where it would get overwhelming for a judge having to attend to every single detail of a trial in progress.

MOO and stuff.

I think the judge should have simply allowed live audio feed from the courtroom, to protect identity of the witness while still preserving the open court room atmosphere of our legal system. MOO It's done in many other trials where there are minor's as witnesses, etc.

The other night some of those posters were just flat out saying Nancy deserved it and more accusations along those lines. I had to leave quickly. Those were the posts that gave me the impression that a huge majority of those folks over there need an education, some culture, and a bath.

There are a lot of trolls on GOLO that simply like to stoke the fire and get other riled up. You can't take a lot of it seriously. But still, it is very sad for victims of accidents or crimes when their stories are written on WRAL. Those comments really rip people to shreds.

I just watched as much of the motion to strike the Thinkpad evidence as I could before my ears started bleeding from listening to the high pitched whining from the defense.

So, I will boil it down for the non-technical folks among us....

"Your honor, no fair, the state has better experts than we do..."

Kurtz argues that, in essence, there is one version of the Master File Table (MFT) for the prosecution, and one for the defense. This is not true on the face of it. If the defense was given a disk image of the computer, they have the same MFT. They might lack the exact tools used by the FBI to extract and interpret that information, but they do have it.

Different tools might give different outputs, I know, shocker right? A hammer gives different results than a screwdriver, but that is to be expected. In essence, Kurtz is asking the prosecution to help with the defense case by spelling out the extracted data, in the same format, and explaining what it means, so he can take potshots at it.

I just watched as much of the motion to strike the Thinkpad evidence as I could before my ears started bleeding from listening to the high pitched whining from the defense.

Kurtz argues that, in essence, there is one version of the Master File Table (MFT) for the prosecution, and one for the defense. This is not true on the face of it. If the defense was given a disk image of the computer, they have the same MFT. They might lack the exact tools used by the FBI to extract and interpret that information, but they do have it.

Different tools might give different outputs, I know, shocker right? A hammer gives different results than a screwdriver, but that is to be expected. In essence, Kurtz is asking the prosecution to help with the defense case by spelling out the extracted data, in the same format, and explaining what it means, so he can take potshots at it.

LOL, that's what I got out of it last night. Your honor, our guys aren't as good at this, we want your guys to tell us how they did it. < stomps foot numerous times, whines some more > and like one of my grandsons favorite statements " that's not fair " huge pouty lower lip. :maddening:

IMO, electronic media should be barred from the court room when a confidential witness is on the stand anyway. It seems to be the judge should have been more proactive about that from the beginning. What exactly did he think would happen? I agree the comments about the jury have no business out there either. JMO.

everything was good until they started staring down the jurors and posting stuff they weren't supposed to
they hide behind freedom of speech

I understood it more like -- the prosecution witness used specific software to produce a very detailed 'report' of the data (non techy terms used). The defense has the data but it makes it difficult to question the witness about the data without having the same very detailed "report" that he is testifying from. I think I understand what he is saying. How did the judge ultimately rule -- was the Pros going to turn over the very detailed "report"?

I think the judge should have simply allowed live audio feed from the courtroom, to protect identity of the witness while still preserving the open court room atmosphere of our legal system. MOO It's done in many other trials where there are minor's as witnesses, etc.

as the pros put it, it is sensitive stuff the FBI is talking about, they cannot let the criminals get the upper hand
I am glad we are blacked out for this..even though it is the best evidence

I don't agree with the decision to deny the defense the data. An excellent example from another site: We all have access to the internet. It's the same for everybody. I do a google search, you do a yahoo search, she does a bing search and he does a dogpile search. We all have accessed the same disk, but each one has different search results. So if you testify to your google results, and deny me access to what your search disclosed (no need to show me HOW google got the results, just show me the results), how can I ask you questions to determine the validity of what you found?

As a strong anarchist, I am disturbed that the courts will allow an "expert" to testify to something without any foundation of how he achieved those results. Darned shame we with some technical background were not able to hear how the evidence was presented. And a further shame that we cannot hear the cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member