Station Wagon--Late 1960's or 1970's

Probably a safe bet. Now, if she will only share what she knows. Has it been determined that the tags were ever turned in or in whose name they were registered?

People often drive vehicles that are not registered to them. Usually ownership is a safe assumption, but not always. I don't recall any verification that a station wagon was owned, only pictures that showed an association with such a vehicle and reports nearly 40 years later from family members that such a vehicle was involved in "something" in April 1975 and about its condition. And also nearly 40 years later, there is a call from LE for information about another very different kind of vehicle which may have had some involvement. ???????? and more ???????? until there are facts to support answers. Hopefully, there is supporting evidence in the file and MVA.

The vehicle was owned by RAW. As a former Maryland resident, myself, I can attest to the fact that Maryland is pickier than most states about turning in the tags when ownership of a vehicle transfers from one person to another. The world does not come to a screeching halt when tags are not turned in, but Maryland likes to account for things like that. If the vehicle was sold to someone in another state, the tags may not have ever made it back to Maryland. As for Patricia sharing what she knows, it would be a really smart thing for her to do. As she has probably already noticed, there are consequences for enabling criminals.

Schipperke;12457227... I don't recall any verification that a station wagon was owned said:
There has been a lot of speculation regarding what kind of vehicle might have been used to abduct or transport the Lyon sisters, and a number of partial descriptions have been stated by various possible witnesses. At this time no positive identification of such a vehicle or of its owner has ever been made or released by police.

In April 1975 Montgomery County Police stated that they were seeking a possible Ford Station Wagon of about 1968 vintage with a partially readable tag (possibly Maryland issue). That vehicle was described variously as tan or beige. It was described by an IBM employee who saw it for a short period of time in Manassas, VA on 7 April 1975. He stated that the man driving it appeared to resemble the sketch of the Tape Recorder Man and that there appeared to be a girl or girls bound in the back of it. The station wagon proceeded through a red light and got away.

There was a photo placed in these threads some time ago which was allegedly of the Welch family standing near a blue Ford Pinto wagon. It should be noted that station wagons and hatchback cars were as numerous and popular in 1970's as minivans are today. To my knowledge there has never been any connection made between this Pinto Wagon and the Lyon Sisters.

Whether or not the Tan Station Wagon was actually connected with the Lyon Sisters is also a subject for consideration.

"Are these actions of restoring-and-hiding verified facts? NO! They are only possibilities with absolutely no verification that Bernard Welch had any contact with anyone connected to the Lyon Sisters. But, if the vehicle was impounded by the LE, there should be a record which SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE CHECKED AND VERIFIED just to be sure--even if it only serves to rule out the possibility that it could be true! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!" Schipperke Post #34

Thank you, Richard. I only posted this as a "possible connection" relating to a previous consideration in this case, from another VERY REAL BUT DIFFERENT case, which could have been overlooked in 1979. It appeared to be relatively easy for LE to rule in or out--and it was also found with a 1970's luxury car beside it, something LE was also looking for information on in 2014. The argumentative discussion on it surprised me since it appeared to be something so easily dealt with. My point was made--the rest was up to LE. End of discussion on it for me. BTW, good to see you back; I had watched your post long before I registered.

Here is a photo of a 1968 Ford Station Wagon.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back