Steve Buscemi punched in face on street, Kips Bay, Manhattan, hospitalized - 8 May 2024

ifindedout

Reaction score
Steve Buscemi, 66, was in the Kips Bay neighborhood of Manhattan on Wednesday when a stranger came up and walloped the actor across the face, that's according to two NYPD sources. They said Buscemi had been leaning up against a wall around 12 p.m., texting on his phone, at the time of the attack.

Medics responded to 3rd Avenue and East 28th Street, where they picked up Buscemi and took him to Bellevue Hospital. Police said the actor was treated for bruising, swelling, and bleeding to his left eye.

The attacker has not yet been identified, but the NYPD released surveillance images of the alleged suspect in hopes of tracking him down.
buscemi_suspect.jpg

I'm a big Buscemi fan... this is horrible. I hope someone identifies this violent jerk.

ETA: Well, it's NYC and even if the jerk is identified and charged he will be out and continue random assaults.

jmo

Last edited:
Steve Buscemi, 66, was in the Kips Bay neighborhood of Manhattan on Wednesday when a stranger came up and walloped the actor across the face, that's according to two NYPD sources. They said Buscemi had been leaning up against a wall around 12 p.m., texting on his phone, at the time of the attack.

Medics responded to 3rd Avenue and East 28th Street, where they picked up Buscemi and took him to Bellevue Hospital. Police said the actor was treated for bruising, swelling, and bleeding to his left eye.

The attacker has not yet been identified, but the NYPD released surveillance images of the alleged suspect in hopes of tracking him down.
View attachment 503174

From your link...

Buscemi is the second actor from the popular HBO television show "Boardwalk Empire" attacked this spring. Michael Stuhlbarg was struck in the head with a rock while walking near Central Park on March 31.

:(

Appalling IMO. Steve Buscemi & Michael Stuhlbarg, two members of the cast of Boardwalk Empire? I hope that investigators and ultimately prosecutors consider all angles of these crimes including the victim’s ancestry and ethnicity. Almost have to wonder if there is an element of profiling or targeting in their attacks? I think I best stop here. MOO

Appalling IMO. Steve Buscemi & Michael Stuhlbarg, two members of the cast of Boardwalk Empire? I hope that investigators and ultimately prosecutors consider all angles of these crimes including the victim’s ancestry and ethnicity. Almost have to wonder if there is an element of profiling or targeting in their attacks? I think I best stop here. MOO
SB=Southern Italian and Dutch heritage, raised in NY, Roman Catholic
MS=Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, raised in LA, Reform Judiasm

The men do not look similar to each other, IMO, so I am wondering if you can clarify what you mean by the victims’ “ancestry and ethnicity” possibly being motivators (or at least serving as grounds) for “profiling or targeting” by their attackers.

I wonder if TV actors are more likely to be attacked by delusional people because they look familiar or because the delusional think they know them or know their characters in a personal way.

I hope that investigators and ultimately prosecutors consider all angles of these crimes including the victim’s ancestry and ethnicity. Almost have to wonder if there is an element of profiling or targeting in their attacks?
Huh? Profiling the victims true, or perceived ancestry and ethnicity from character roles? I'm not familiar with "Boardwalk Empire" except that it's quite dated -- 2010-14.

View attachment 503174
I love him. Get out of that city, it’s no longer safe for anyone. In fact, I will go further….. boycott it.

Huh? Profiling the victims true, or perceived ancestry and ethnicity from character roles? I'm not familiar with "Boardwalk Empire" except that it's quite dated -- 2010-14.

Boardwalk Empire fan here (I'm a bit dated, too, lol). Buscemi's character was based on Enoch "Nucky" L Thompson (Atlantic City mob-boss during prohibition). I assume the real Thompson was Irish-American as that's how it was written in the series. Stuhlbarg portrayed Arnold Rothstein of Jewish background. Both actors were great in their roles. Oh, and there was this Richard Harrow character played by Jack Huston... I digress.

JMO

ETA: I have no idea if any of this plays into the attacks.

Last edited:
Boardwalk Empire fan here (I'm a bit dated, too, lol). Buscemi's character was based on Enoch "Nucky" L Thompson (Atlantic City mob-boss during prohibition). I assume the real Thompson was Irish-American as that's how it was written in the series. Stuhlbarg portrayed Arnold Rothstein of Jewish background. Both actors were great in their roles. Oh, and there was this Richard Harrow character played by Jack Huston... I digress.

JMO

ETA: I have no idea if any of this plays into the attacks.
I love crime dramas around the prohibition era. Thank you!

Looks like he's just been to the gym. May not look big enough (yet) but roid rage may be a possibility.
If Buscemi was looking into his phone I don't think the man would have seen his face well enough (and specifically the eyes) to have recognised him as "Steve Buscemi" or any part he's played.
jmo.
Hope he's ok, one of my favourite actors too!

According to an article by Miles Miller online NBC10DFW (Dallas Fort Worth), a 27-year old assailant identified as Xavier Israel and was apparently taken into custody for the attack on Stuhlbarg. Article entitled “Actor Steve Buscemi bloodied and bruised after punch to the face on NYC street”:

ETA - PS: thanks to MAHBOOBOO for the correction on whose behalf the assailant attacker’s arrest has been made. MOO

Last edited:
'Just a note (or two) about Buscemi's past...

On 11 September 2001, Steve Buscemi – the US actor known for his depictions of gangsters and weirdos in shows such as The Sopranos and The Big Lebowski – returned to his old job as a New York City firefighter.

He worked 12-hour shifts for several days alongside other firefighters, searching for survivors in the rubble of the World Trade Center.

Buscemi, now 65, had taken the Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY) civil service test when he was 18 and used to work as a FDNY firefighter in downtown Manhattan in the 1980s.

AND from 2001

Buscemi, Vaughn, and Rosenberg are currently filming the aptly named Domestic Disturbance in Wilmington, N.C. The three were hanging out at the Firebelly Lounge when two local men allegedly picked a fight with Vaughn after one of their girlfriends began talking to the Swingers star.

The men went outside, where they began scuffling around 2 a.m. Police on patrol saw the struggle and broke it up, but the damage had already been done: Buscemi was stabbed above the eye and in the jaw, throat, and arm, police said. He was treated at a local emergency room and released.

The man identified as the suspect in an alleged sucker-punch attack on actor Steve Buscemi was last seen days ago at a shelter in Brooklyn, according to two senior city officials with knowledge of the investigation.

Clifton Williams was seen on May 11 at a men's shelter on Clay Street in Greenpoint, the city officials told NBC New York. The 50-year-old Williams stayed at the shelter for three nights after the attack the officials said.

The search for Williams is ongoing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201
Back