Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, Is Dead

WOW....sooo sad. My kids & I have spent hours watching his show--Animal Planet was one of 3 channels that the boys were allowed to watch on TV, so they spent alot of time with Steve Irwin. The boys were mesmerised by him.

What a zest for life! I am a huge animal lover, and I always enjoy watching other people who feel the same way about animals as I do. It's especially endearing to me when it's a man, I don't know why, but it is.

Prayers to his young family.....He won't be forgotten in this household, that's for sure!

Fellow-Australian wildlife filmmaker David Ireland said he was shocked and saddened by Irwin's death, adding that a stingray's barb could be as deadly as a rifle bayonet.

"They have one or two barbs in the tails which are not only coated in toxic material but are also like a bayonet, like a bayonet on a rifle," he told Southern Cross Broadcasting radio.

"If it hits any vital organs it's as deadly as a bayonet," Ireland said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/people_nm/australia_irwin_dc

Stingrays like a lot of other animals can obviliousy do a lot of harm if they decide to attack.Maybe there is a false sense of security due to the low mortality rate.
Its certainly another reason why I wont be at the beach this summer:eek:

Thanks DK for the links.

Apparently he died instantly, at least he didn't suffer.

Dingo, it's just those QLD beaches lol, ours here in NSW are alot safer.
Having said that-

I never swim at the beach, only go in up to my knees LOL.

I nearly got taken in a rip once so ever since then...I'm pretty much a :chicken: when it comes to swimming way out..

Yeah...but we still have sharks and our bluebottles and our stonefish and our speedo wearers...Ill be sticking to my above ground in the backyard:D

narlacat said:
Thanks DK for the links.

Apparently he died instantly, at least he didn't suffer.

Dingo, it's just those QLD beaches lol, ours here in NSW are alot safer.
Having said that-

I never swim at the beach, only go in up to my knees LOL.

I nearly got taken in a rip once so ever since then...I'm pretty much a :chicken: when it comes to swimming way out..

Hey Narla! I'm in Sydney too.... Small small world!

My phone hasn't stopped beeping either. It's a sad day for us today. Steve was a great Aussie icon who has done so much for the environment and the animals. Sure it was dangerous, but it's something that he loved and as cliche as it sounds, at least he died doing what he loved. I am in shock. He was too young and still had so much more to offer and live for.... He was aware of the risks he took and what could happen and he did it anyway out of his great love for animals - I raise my hat to him for living his dreams.

My deepest sympathies to Terri, Bindi and Bob and the extended Irwin family.

RIP Aussie Steve

dingo said:
Yeah...but we still have sharks and our bluebottles and our stonefish and our speedo wearers...Ill be sticking to my above ground in the backyard:D

Ahhhh the great Aussie lifestyle..... Wouldn't change it for anything :dance:

Hi Cyndi.
We do have it pretty good down here......wouldnt want to be anywhere else.

dingo said:
Terri has just been informed and is making her way home to Cairnes.
Cant post a link as I heard it on tv.
She has just got to be heartbroken! I jsut can't iamgine!!

Lacyanna said:
I would like to say something that has always struck me when I watched his shows. Sure-he was sometimes way over the top and I didn't like that stunt he pulled either. But-the thing that sticks with me is how he was always careful to put the little animal, reptile-etc back where he found it. I always remember how he would say "Oh this little guy is scared, let's be careful..etc". Even when a "little guy" had his lil teeth locked down-we never saw him move in a harsh or mean way towards the animals.
One of the episodes that sticks in my mind is he found a sloth and it had died and he was so sad, he cried; it made me cry. He really was a caring guy!!

I was just watching footage of Terri and her children boarding a plane..so very sad..how hard is it going to be for her to explain this to her children.

dingo said:
I was just watching footage of Terri and her children boarding a plane..so very sad..how hard is it going to be for her to explain this to her children.
UGH! I don't know if it's because my husband is in Iraq and has had a rough few days or if I am being overly emotional in general or what but this story is just breaking my heart! The thought of her having to tell those kids is killing me--and they were all so close!!

Crikey! This is a horrendous loss for planet earth! IMO, Steve was an ambassador for not only Australia but for wildlife everywhere!

How ironic that he was filming a documentary on the "Ocean's Deadliest", about things that can kill you in the sea.

I now wonder if perhaps the fatal sting ray attack was caught on film.

RIP, dear Steve Irwin! You will be missed!

Mr Stainton, an old friend who has worked with Irwin for years, added that the star had been looking for "things that can kill you in the sea".

"We were in the Cairns, Port Douglas area shooting a documentary for Animal Planet called Ocean's Deadliest, which was basically looking at things that can kill you in the sea," he said.*

"This morning Steve decided to shoot a couple of segments for a new TV show that he's doing with his daughter Bindi, and with the cameramen went out onto the reef ... to film a segment on stingrays.''

It is not believed Bindi, eight, was on the reef trip.

Daily Telegraph

I'm awash with tears on learning this news. :( :( :(

R.I.P. Steve.

Irwin's wife Terri was in Tasmania at the time of the tragedy and had to be contacted by police with the terrible news.

ecen more heartbreaking this is how she had to hear the news. i have no doubt they were gentle with her.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

I just heard about it and am feeling stunned and deeply saddened.

So he had some faults. SO WHAT! Who doesn't?

To all the Aussies out there he will not only be mourned in Australia but by many, many around the world. I live in California, USA and I know he will be missed and mourned by many here.

This is just terrible. God Bless his lovely little family.

It's NO substitiute for the loss of a dearly loved husband and father, but i would say thankfully his family have many, many hours of film of Steve to look back on when they are ready in the future to always have those memories of what a wonderful person he was.

Pharlap said:
OMG, he will be missed.....

Sort of off the topic, but does anyone remember the name of the french guy that did all this kind of stuff in the 50's and 60's?
:banghead: I remember the name but can't spell it....joc truesto
Hello Pharlap,
This is who you are looking for;
Jacques-Yves Cousteau
link
Jacques-Yves Cousteau (11 June 1910 – 25 June 1997) was a French naval officer, explorer, ecologist, filmmaker, photographer and researcher who studied the sea and all forms of life in water. He co-developed the aqua-lung, pioneered marine conservation and was a member of the Académie française.

Cousteau was born in Saint André de Cubzac, France to Daniel and Elizabeth Cousteau on June 11, 1910 and died in Paris, France. He is generally known in France as le commandant Cousteau ("Commander Cousteau"). Worldwide, he was commonly known as Jacques Cousteau or Captain Cousteau.

montana_16 said:
I just heard about it and am feeling stunned and deeply saddened.

So he had some faults. SO WHAT! Who doesn't?

To all the Aussies out there he will not only be mourned in Australia but by many, many around the world. I live in California, USA and I know he will be missed and mourned by many here.

This is just terrible. God Bless his lovely little family.
Thanks Montana :)

Everyone's pretty devastated, we loved that guy, what a shame :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dolly1504