Strip Search gone WILD

I just can't understand why his dashboard camera was turned off.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/51315
......Officer Gurlea threw her face down on the hood of his patrol car, chipping one of her teeth. And according to documents filed by Hope and Greg Steffey with the United States District Court in Cleveland, Officer Gurlea then threw Steffey to the ground. Although Ms. Steffey´s cousin repeatedly reminded the officer that Steffey was the victim and had been knocked unconscious in the previous assault, Officer Gurlea handcuffed Steffey and put her into the back of his patrol car, refusing her medical care.
Attorneys for Ms. Steffey do not believe that the sheriff´s office has handed over all of the footage from the night of the arrest and the dashboard camera was not turned on during most of the incident. In a second installment from WKYC, mounted video cameras in the jail show an officer filming Ms. Steffey´s arrest, but lawyers claim they have yet to receive the footage. WKYC

This is beyond disturbing. Can you even imagine what some cop shops and prisons were like before all of this technology? Not to mention the loudspeaker that is you tube.

I understand what your saying about the suicide watch but do most departments attack and forcibly strip distraught and injured women even if they are suicidal? If they believed she may harm herself. Why wasn't she taken to a medical facillity for an evaluation? Instead they leave her naked and injuried in a cell for six hours. If this is Stark Counties by the book then the book needs to be fixed.

I'm willing to bet they will soon begin settlement talks. I truly doubt they will want a jury to see this video.

I have a friend who, when having an argument, picked up a knife and said "Why don't you just cut my heart out? That wouldn't hurt me any more than your words are hurting me now." Her boyfriend, and I use the term loosely, called 911, and my friend was picked up and on the basis of this argument was deemed to be a threat to herself and others, even though she tried and tried to explain to the officer that she had never had any intentions of hurting herself!......she was thrown into the back seat of the patrol car, brought to the jail, booked and fingerprinted; she was told to strip, was sprayed down with an insecticide and given an orange jumpsuit with no underpants. She was put into a "suicide watch" cell which was in constant view of the officer at the desk----and of course, in view of anyone walking into the department. It was a mandatory 24 hour hold since she'd threatened her own safety.

I don't believe the department we are talking about here did things correctly. I think this treatment was the result of a vendetta by an angry cop. But I also think if her lawyer shows up in court arguing about an illegal strip search, lawyers for the police will innocently say "what strip search? we were trying to protect the little lady." It's a loop hole for the department, and I'd like to see her lawyers address it.

Did you see her husband's face when he talked with the reporter about what happened to his wife? I believe what happened to her has hurt him almost as deeply as it has hurt her; he truly feels for her, you can see it. I hope there is a HUGE settlement offered, but I'm not sure they will accept. He seemed pretty determined to expose the department and the atrocity that passed for a response to his wife's 911 call.

Did you see her husband's face when he talked with the reporter about what happened to his wife? I believe what happened to her has hurt him almost as deeply as it has hurt her; he truly feels for her, you can see it. I hope there is a HUGE settlement offered, but I'm not sure they will accept. He seemed pretty determined to expose the department and the atrocity that passed for a response to his wife's 911 call.

Yes, you can obviously see the man's pain. The police are standing firm that what they did was entirely acceptable. They admit that she was butt-naked for six hours and denied medical care for her injuries and that was perfectly ok in their world. :furious:

They have taken the videos off. Says they are no longer available. I am glad I got to see this before it was taken off. I would not have believed that cops would do that to someone who called for help. I had thought mistreatment by cops was rare, but I am beginning to rethink that. I hope enough people saw it to really try to do something about it. That will be evidence at the trial, and I am guessing that may be why they took them off.

If anyone wants to view them there are still some youtube links available. Just search "Hope Steffey"

Finally got a chance to watch those videos. My God...if that happened to my wife I would make it my mission in life to see that every single one of those police officers lost their jobs and then some.

They dehumanized this woman...completely. This just goes to show you what humans are capable of, which makes the possibility of a US totalitarian government all the more realistic.

This video should scare the daylights out of everyone.

This is just so sad. To think she called for help. Then he says something about her dead sister. I would have lost it right there and been in there for other charges

From the 2nd ammended complaint dated November 26, 2007:

First Count: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 -- Gurlea's Unreasonable Seizure of Hope; Use of Excessive Force; Withholding Emergency Medical Care

Second Count: Gurlea's Assault and Battery of Hope

Third Count: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 -- Use of Excessive Force in Jail by John and Jane Does 1-15; Withholding Adequate Medical Care

Fourth Count: Assault and Battery in Jail by John and Jane Does 1-15

Fifth Count: Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress Gurlea and John and Jane Does 1-15

Sixth Count: 42 USC 1983/Monell-Swanson

Seventh Count: Loss of Consortium by Greg Steffey

Eigth Count: Negligence, Malicious Purpose, Bad Faith, Wanton and Reckless Conduct by Gurlea and John and Jane Does

Ninth Count: Violation of O.R.C. § 2933.32 et seq. by John and Jane Does

Tenth Count: Invasion of Privacy/Intrusion upon Seclusion/Solitude by John and Jane Does
The response pretty much denies everything. Discovery cutoff date is August 1st and dispotive motion date is September 1st.

SW, do you have a link to the 2nd amended complaint? I'd love to read the full deal.

SW, do you have a link to the 2nd amended complaint? I'd love to read the full deal.
I'm in the middle of a server move but as soon as that's done (by tomorrow at the latest), I'll upload it to my site and give you the link.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=91761&catid=3
Grand Jury clears Sheriff Deputies of criminal misconduct in explosive strip search case

The grand jury decided to not indict any of the deputies. On the day of the grand jury's findings, Steffey was undergoing questioning in a deposition for her lawsuit against the Sheriff. Steffey is seeking justice in a civil case filed in federal court and which is set to go to trial this December. Steffey is accusing deputies of using excessive and outrageous force.
It's unclear if the jailhouse video was shown to the grand jury. Those proceedings are secret. But the video is certain to be shown in federal court during her civil trial. The Sheriff has maintained that his office has done nothing wrong and was always in compliance with Ohio jail standards. Steffey's attorneys are now under federal court order to not discuss the case. But they have argued that that the force used by deputies was brutal and unnecessary.
(more at link)

:eek: I'm staying out of Geauga County. :eek:

You know I can't get all excited about the grand jury findings ... one found Kathleen Savio's death natural.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back