student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

This is heartbreaking. It's mind boggling to me that someone can feel so ashamed of being gay that they would end their lives - I know it happens (I live in a very fundamentalist state) but it's just wrong.And I don't want to go off on the 2 people who violated the victim's privacy - only because I don't have enough time right now.

He was only 18. Maybe his family didn't even know. I'd imagine most people would be embarrassed if something they intended to be private was broadcasted all over the internet, regardless.

Tyler Clementi was a gifted virtuoso violinist. His family is devastated.

They have begged for privacy and time to grieve.

Beautiful, young, talented, intelligent young man.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/tyler-clementi-dead-rutge_n_744440.html

God forgive me but I have to be honest I fell like pushing those two rotten, hateful, ignorant "students" off the GW Bridge. Man, I hope Punk Love is right. Hate Crime. Hate Crime. Hate Crime.

This breaks my heart. I feel so bad for Tyler's family. I feel so bad for his boyfriend.

Sorry that both Ravi & Wei's parents for paying college tuition and find out they got trouble by their recent actions. That's tough way to start out by sending them there & might lose them to prison due to broke the law.

It's about money? Tuition? Trouble? Recent actions? Tough way to start out?

My question to those parents would be "How do you raise someone like that? Like ummmmm what did you feed them? How long have they been mean, nasty things that would purposely exploit someone?"

Let them get their college course in prison. Too bad. Too dang bad for them. They're living and breathing while a young man jumped off a bridge for God's sake. An 18 year old talented young man".

This is very sad, that poor kid.He goes off to school and has the bad luck to have such an evil,vile person as his roommate.I hope they go after the 2 for a hate crime.RIP and may God give your family the strength to survive this.

I have no words, I'm just at a loss at the cruelty of the world once again. I never will understand the why when people that are just pure evil exist. Tears just flow.

May he RIP, the sweet young man.

Just so cruel is all I can say.

Blessings for his family.

Goz

ok crap like this really p#sses me off ... just because your gay doesnt mean you should be treated in such a horrific manner grrr... gays are people too my god :( that poor child and ya that is what he was .. how terribly sad . and that those other two idiots should get life in prison .. how dare they do that to him and his boyfriend ..

This is heartbreaking. It's mind boggling to me that someone can feel so ashamed of being gay that they would end their lives - I know it happens (I live in a very fundamentalist state) but it's just wrong.And I don't want to go off on the 2 people who violated the victim's privacy - only because I don't have enough time right now.

I don't think it was just he was gay. I can't be him but I'm sure the whole incident embarrassed this young man. He was only an 18 year old kid just starting out in life and some creeps had to tape him. That is hard enough to cope with. I think it was a shock to him and he felt lost and very ashamed, and not just because he was gay.

The 2 people who violated this boy should do a long, hard prison sentence if this is how they felt they needed to get their jollies, invading the privacy of another.

Goz

I'm at a loss for words. That poor young man...I can't imagine the heartbreak his family is going through. I hope those despicable jerks who did this feel heavy guilt for the rest of their lives for this.

I dont think it was about him feeling ashamed - by all accounts he was very shy and I cant even begin to think how horrifying it must have been to learn that the entire world suddenly had access to his sex life, regardless of who with. Im sure it being a man didnt make it any easier but I honestly think that he would have done this if the partner was male or female.

Being a freshman is very difficult, I think he must have felt that he would be the laughing stock of the school and the idea of four years of it pushed him over the edge. Its obvious the dick that did this wanted as many people to see this video as he possibly could.

I don't think it was just he was gay. I can't be him but I'm sure the whole incident embarrassed this young man. He was only an 18 year old kid just starting out in life and some creeps had to tape him. That is hard enough to cope with. I think it was a shock to him and he felt lost and very ashamed, and not just because he was gay.
Goz

I couldnt agree more - though I have to say Im quite happy the idiot that did the recording made a big deal about him being gay, hopefully that will be used against him to get a much bigger punishment.

They really are doing a cake walk on this. I think more charges should be filed. Even set some new ones for this type of case. If he gets 5 years, he will be out in what, 18 months. I don't find this fair at all.

Goz

Snip:
Although he was quiet most of the time, he was truly a great individual," Hoffer wrote in an e-mail. "Always kind and caring with an incredible talent as a musician. He was extremely dedicated to his music and you could always find him in the orchestra room."
Snip

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...+broadcasted/3600614/story.html#ixzz1115nY7rv

They need to make new laws about inciting someone to suicide. Whether by deed or by encouragement there needs to be a serious consequence for these behaviors.

They really are doing a cake walk on this. I think more charges should be filed. Even set some new ones for this type of case. If he gets 5 years, he will be out in what, 18 months. I don't find this fair at all.

I think those are just the first charges, its typical to charge the person with what you have firm evidence for and add other charges later. It will take a bit of time to look through his computer and get access to his accounts as well as a subpoena for whatever the site that he was streaming from to see what other things they can charge him with.

I just had the most horrible thought - can you imagine seeing your childs face book status update saying "Going to jump off the gw bridge sorry" and theres nothing you can do about it?

WOW!!!!
http://www.autostraddle.com/teenage-suicide-1235/

This site says that he posted about his spying roomate on a gay community message board.

1gkn6f.png

On the morning of Tyler’s eventual suicide, cit2mo made his last posting, indicating that he had spoken to his RA. Earlier that night he said he’d had the boy over again and that he’d had a good time, but was afraid that if he didn’t get to switch rooms, that it would be total hell to live with this guy and he’d be even more humiliated.
fn8lg1.png

They said the site has been closed at the moment as they are checking to match his IP address with the post but are fairly certain it is him.

How tragic...seems the authorities should charge him with a bias crime of hate.!

When did this nation have such a moral degradation take place?

Why is it now commonplace to ridicule someone for their gender, race or religion?

Why is it anyone's business what someone does in the privacy of their own bedrooms..:furious: JMHO

My heartfelt condolences to the parents of this young man who has now lost their child due to ridicule...and to his friends who have now lost a good friend...JMHO

What a shame. Trying to fit it under "Stalking" too. Just doesn't do it and I don't really think it is a "Hate Crime" either.

I don't know what other charges are pending, like you stated but I know they won't get their full due for doing something so henious.
Somehow, I wonder if letter writing by us all would serve any purpose in getting them a higher sentence. This story just plain hurts on every level. I really feel for this kid. If this would have taken place when I was in college, I would never have left my room!! I would have felt so ashamed and abused by it all.

Just imagine everyone knowing your business, sexual or otherwise? How horrid for a young person away from home for the first time. His parents must be failing apart. My heart goes out to them. What a complete invasion of privacy. People have taken the internet and taping too far.

Example: I had personal site hacked on the computer I had with my best friend and we use to write everything on it. I felt horrible that people were reading all my personal business, looking at photos, and just knew everything about us on a private level. I was not his age and I was not in school but it still was devastating to have this happen.

Goz

How tragic...seems the authorities should charge him with a bias crime of hate.!

When did this nation have such a moral degradation take place?

Why is it now commonplace to ridicule someone for their gender, race or religion?

Why is it anyone's business what someone does in the privacy of their own bedrooms..:furious: JMHO

My heartfelt condolences to the parents of this young man who has now lost their child due to ridicule...and to his friends who have now lost a good friend...JMHO

"Steven Goldstein, chairman of the gay rights group Garden State Equality, said in a statement Wednesday that his group considers Clementi’s death a hate crime. We are heartbroken over the tragic loss of a young man who, by all accounts, was brilliant, talented and kind," the group's chairman, Steven Goldstein, said in a statement. And we are sickened that anyone in our society, such as the students allegedly responsible for making the surreptitious video, might consider destroying others' lives as a sport."

That sums up how I feel perfectly.

Thankfully a lot of groups seem to be standing up for him and hopefully the charges for Ravi will be serious enough that he has plenty of time to reflect on his life and how he turned out to be a maggot.

Im really having a hard time believing he wasnt a target because he was gay - they werent in school but a week or two before he started recording him so it doesnt seem there would be a lot of time to build malice otherwise. Either way hes a .

My heart breaks for his family too, they sent their healthy and happy child to college only to have him tormented into killing himself a couple weeks later.

I am still really struggling with this story. My heart truly aches for the vicious crime that ended this wonderful young man's life. I can't seem to get it off of my mind. When I first saw the headline my heart just sank as I knew what was coming. I can't understand why people do such cruel things. I just can't and I don't want to. What a senseless waste of a beautiful life.

I agree Punklove. I am just not sure if they are going to charge them with a hate crime, that is all. I am sure the problem was he was gay. These fools seem the type, (aside from this case) that would get their jollies taping anyone. I bet LE will find more tapes of other students.

What is a Hate Crime

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/offreported/02-nhatecrime12.html

Snip

Definition
A hate crime, also known as a bias crime, is a criminal offense committed against a person, property, or society which is motivated, in whole or in part, by the offender's bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin.

Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back