Student Suspended For Buying Skittles At School

My daughter is the QUEEN of in school candy sales. After lunch she just strolls around from table to table and unloads cases of the stuff. I have to tell ya'll I am proud of her sales skills. And honestly, it's much safer selling in school than door to door.

I heard on CNN this morning that Michael has been reinstated as class vice president.

This ban has been in force since 2003,that's five years,I can't imagine the student wasn't aware of it.The mistake of the principal,as she stated,it was a verbal warning,and not in writing. It should have been in the school handbook,stating there will be severe consequences if this transpires on school property.

I don't think this should be going on during school hours,it can easily disrupt classes.Also,with so many drugs now looking like candy,I think it's best to stay clear of selling,so the school don't ever have to even think about it,by putting out a written blanket statement of "No selling of any sort on school property,unless it is school affiliated". Period.
Let the administration get on with teaching,and not have to bother with all this other nonsense.

My daughter is the QUEEN of in school candy sales. After lunch she just strolls around from table to table and unloads cases of the stuff. I have to tell ya'll I am proud of her sales skills. And honestly, it's much safer selling in school than door to door.

That would be a great way to make some extra money! I still tell my kids not to buy anything from anyone at school. That includes video games, tattoos, etc. EVERYTHING is off-limits.

I am too paranoid that the video game, pokemon cards or pretty necklace belongs to someone other than the seller. As far as candy goes, I've heard too many stories about drugs being introduced as "candy". Same w/tattoos.

I agree too that it's not exactly healthy, but truthfully that's the least of my concerns!

That would be a great way to make some extra money! I still tell my kids not to buy anything from anyone at school. That includes video games, tattoos, etc. EVERYTHING is off-limits.

I am too paranoid that the video game, pokemon cards or pretty necklace belongs to someone other than the seller. As far as candy goes, I've heard too many stories about drugs being introduced as "candy". Same w/tattoos.

I agree too that it's not exactly healthy, but truthfully that's the least of my concerns!

At her school they restrict sales to only school sanctioned fund raising, so she's not making extra money. But, she qualified for a state championship event and raised more than 1/2 the money we needed to pay to send her. She really gained great entrepreneurial and sales experience! :woohoo:

This whole thing seems so silly to me and yes TM the world has gone crazy. This is about skittles not drugs LOL. If it is against the rules he shouldn't have had it but I think it is a total over reaction on the schools part.

A suspension over skittles????

This is just to far gone for me to even articulate my words.

:clap: YAY!!!

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- School officials have decided to go light on an eighth-grader caught with contraband candy in New Haven, Connecticut.
Michael Sheridan, an eighth-grade honors student who was suspended for a day, barred from attending an honors dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president after he was caught with a bag of Skittles candy in school will get his student council post back, school officials said.
Superintendent Reginald Mayo said in a statement late Wednesday that he and principal Eleanor Turner met with student Michael's parents and that Turner decided to clear the boy's record and restore him to his student council post.
Michael was disciplined after he was caught buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate. The classmate's suspension also will be expunged, school officials said. more: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/13/skittles.suspension.ap/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

You know what they say about Skittles..it might lead to more hard core candy,like Hershey bars. Forget about DARE in school,we need some candy abuse education!

:clap: YAY!!!

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- School officials have decided to go light on an eighth-grader caught with contraband candy in New Haven, Connecticut.
Michael Sheridan, an eighth-grade honors student who was suspended for a day, barred from attending an honors dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president after he was caught with a bag of Skittles candy in school will get his student council post back, school officials said.
Superintendent Reginald Mayo said in a statement late Wednesday that he and principal Eleanor Turner met with student Michael's parents and that Turner decided to clear the boy's record and restore him to his student council post.
Michael was disciplined after he was caught buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate. The classmate's suspension also will be expunged, school officials said. more: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/13/skittles.suspension.ap/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

LOL..Thank goodness someone grew a brain.:woohoo:

I personally think the junk food bans are silly. My DH's school has a ban on all candies. Selling candy is a quite profitable fundraiser and they can't even do that anymore, selling that junk at school made tons of money. No more drink machines either. Quite frankly, healthy eating habits should be taught at home, not school. Funny how they ban the junk for the kids health but the kids don't take PE anymore save for one semester.

I see that the main concern the school has is to get back to normal since they are in the middle of the Connecticut Mastery Tests. I wish kids at one of my local high schools would start selling skittles instead of being mentioned on the radio for a recent gang fight, reports of a shooting, and tags in a neighborhood nearby saying "white power" and "kkk".

golfmom, the article I posted in #29 said "Michael was disciplined after he was caught buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate. The classmate's suspension also will be expunged, school officials said."

I wonder why we didn't hear much about the skittles-dealer in all these articles?! lol

I think this school probably had this policy for a reason. In NYC, there are kids all over the place trying to sell candy for their school, their sport team, etc and it is a huge scam. They sell regular sized bags of M&M's and the like out of a big box that you would get in Costco. They sell them for a $1 or even more and then turn the corner and hand their money over to a guy parked on the side of the street.

I know we have other NYers here - hasn't anyone else witnessed this? Our building security team always tells us not to purchase anything from them. I realize this story is not the same thing, but I suspect that might be why the school has this policy.

I'm wondering if the sales kid said "Taste The Rainbow".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back