Students at Pa. school must ask for toilet paper

momrids6

JUSTICE FOR JENNIFER
Reaction score
"Boys at Mahanoy Area High School now must go to the school office to request toilet paper and sign it out. Principal Thomas Smith says that's helped solve a major problem of intentionally clogging toilets that's been going on for two years."

http://portal.tds.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA437B7G3@news.ap.org>&ps=931

Toilet paper restrictions concern Mahanoy Area parent
"Our policy is that if you need toilet paper, you would come to the office. We're not refusing anyone toilet paper," Smith said. "You would sign out and then sign back in. I randomly go in to check if anything is going on. Since we've done that, we've cut down on the destruction."

"Yedsena said there are students who have been embarrassed to go to the office for toilet paper and instead would go to the nurse saying they're not feeling well and go home instead. Thomas said he was unaware of any such problem from the monthly reports from the nurse."

http://republicanherald.com/news/toilet-paper-restrictions-concern-mahanoy-area-parent-1.1435891

That's a little embarrassing but what is the school supposed to do? They brought it on themselves.

[video=youtube;sZrgxHvNNUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc[/video]

I don't see why they should have to go to the office to get it. Why can't the teachers be the holders of the precious buttwipe? Most schools require that kids ask for a bathroom pass anyway, so why should they have to go to another person? It wouldn't be an issue if the teachers held it in my mind.

There is no way I would ask for toilet paper--not as a child and not now. I'd walk home instead.

It seems shocking but this is how it was in the inner city school that I taught in except that the schools did NOT provide the toilet paper at all. If I wanted my children to be able to wipe their hineys then I had to buy it myself and give it to the kids.

Yep, that's right. The janitors said the were tired of cleaning up the effects of misused toilet paper and didn't want to waste money from their budget to buy it so teachers had to buy their own. They also didn't believe in wasting money on paper towels so if kids washed their hands, they had nothing to dry them on. I know , I know!! Ewwwwww!!

I taught first grade and my lil students were some hands on, hand holding and touchy lil peeps and I am a firm believer in containing cooties so I bought my own toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, baby wipes and hand sanitizer.

I spent over a thousand dollars a year to make sure that my class had what I felt were the necessities to keep my class up to my standards.

Most people just have no idea what teachers in poor schools put up with and provide, all in the name of love, because they love teaching all those little cootie carrying cuties!! (I have cooties too, we all do, so I am not saying that in a derogatory way, cooties are a fact of life)

I'd be wearing my Cornholio t-shirt, selling TP from my locker for a dollar a roll...

SwampMama, years ago when I was teaching at a university and deducting thousands of dollars per year on research materials, etc., I expressed concern to my accountant that I would trigger an IRS audit.

His reply? "The IRS is so used to teachers spending their own money on school supplies that they don't even blink at such deductions."

Which is entirely outrageous (not that the IRS allows the deductions, but that it is so common for teachers to subsidize our school systems)! (In my case, I CHOSE to purchase research materials because I thought it made me a better professor. But YOU were providing basic necessities and there's really no excuse--not even clogged toilets--for you to have to do that!)

(FTR, my deductions were legitimate. I just didn't want the hassle of an audit.)

I would be so shy to ask. And I would have to pee all the time back in my school years. Nerves got to me. I even had a teacher ask my why, how embarrassing was that for a 4th grader.

Well these ARE high school students, not 6 year olds, they can bring their own TP and keep it in their locker.

If they can bring their own TP and keep it in their locker, couldn't they clog the toilets with that?

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of a school doing.

I think everybody should have the right to go to the fricken bathroom without having to make a special trip to the office to check out a roll of TP or to their locker to get their own.

How stupid.

I would be a pizzed off momma if my child had to do this.

And I could see her pretending to be sick to get out of the embarrassment of it. And yes, she's in high school.

There has to be a better way to solve the problem IMO.

There has to be a better way to solve the problem IMO.

Well the parents could teach their children to RESPECT school property! But wait, that is asking too much.

Fact is if the toilets get clogged up they still get used and it becomes a disgusting mess for all the students and the poor janitors that have to deal with it. It could also be a disease risk depending on how bad it gets.

Well the parents could teach their children to RESPECT school property! But wait, that is asking too much.

Fact is if the toilets get clogged up they still get used and it becomes a disgusting mess for all the students and the poor janitors that have to deal with it. It could also be a disease risk depending on how bad it gets.

Of course it's not asking too much.
As parents we should all teach our children to respect the property of others.
I'm sure most do.

I wonder how many children have clogged a toilet at that school.

I wonder if those children were taught not to do such things and do it anyway.

My point, because of a few trouble makers, EVERY male student has to check toilet paper out to use the restroom?

Again, there has to be a better way.

IMO it's stupid.

JMO

This is a health hazard! Not all children wear thick pants. This will expose the other children to Hep A, B and C, parasites, Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli. giardiasis, cryptosporidiosis, shigellosis, and other more obscure illnesses. I'm calling the Schuylkill County Health Department. All parents in that school district should do the same in addition to calling for the resignation of the dumbarse that decided this was a good policy. Ugh!

My point, because of a few trouble makers, EVERY male student has to check toilet paper out to use the restroom?

No they don't HAVE TO check toilet paper out to use the restroom, these are teenagers and if they don't want to ask for toiletpaper they can bring some tissue from home (doesn't have to be a roll, a few kleenex would do the trick).

If the choice was "bring my own tissue" OR walk into bathrooms that have feces and urine filled toilets that won't flush I would chose the former in a heartbeat!

No they don't HAVE TO check toilet paper out to use the restroom, these are teenagers and if they don't want to ask for toiletpaper they can bring some tissue from home (doesn't have to be a roll, a few kleenex would do the trick).

If the choice was "bring my own tissue" OR walk into bathrooms that have feces and urine filled toilets that won't flush I would chose the former in a heartbeat!

Ok but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the policy to begin with?

If they bring their own (undocumented/uncontrolled TP) couldn't they stop the toilets up with that?

And I actually addressed that in the post you snipped before you snipped this one, but you left it out.

(BTW- when you snip someone's post, you really should indicate that in your reply as a courtesy)

Toilet roll control: Principal of Mahanoy Area High School has introduced a ban on tissue in the boys toilets in his school. Instead male students need to register and collect paper from the school office

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269652/High-School-criticized-barring-toilet-paper-boys-rooms-unusual-bid-flush-vandalism.html#ixzz2JKCG2ypj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Principal, Thomas Smith, defended the measure at a school meeting on Thursday saying vandals had 'destroyed' toilets over the years blocking them up with toilet paper and sometimes even books.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-bid-flush-vandalism.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

So, are they going to ban books?

Not a serious post here - but my DH is a "mitt" wiper...I am a "wipe/fold/rewiper." DS, don't know - haven't determined that yet but am guessing he requires a mitt, too (lol). They are constantly clogging their upstairs toilet. My downstairs toilet - never.

So, mitt or fold? Is that what they need to ask the kids?

The schools in my area require a hall pass to go the bathroom. In the mornings a teacher stands by the door and kids must sign in before entering the bathroom. If a delinquent clogs up the toilets and floods the bathroom on purpose, it is to track who did it based on the time of the flood and hall pass. This has also stopped the monsters that write bomb threats on the walls.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK
Back