AZ Susan Elizabeth Sweet-Mahler, 45, Kingman, 3 May 1991

ChatteringBirds

Reaction score
Here is a case just added to NamUs.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail.jpg
Missing Person / NamUs #MP77224
Susan Elizabeth Sweet-Mahler

Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact: May 3, 1991
Missing From: Kingman, Arizona

Missing Age: 45 Years
Current Age: 75 Years
Height: 5' 9" (69 Inches)
Weight: 145 - 155 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel

Last Known Location:
Kingman, Arizona
County: Mohave County

Circumstances of Disappearance
Susan Sweet-Mahler was last seen on May 3, 1991 in Kingman, Arizona.

Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona
Thursday, August 20, 1992

DeeTBeN.jpg

This article mentions Susan's disappearance and its possible connection to police corruption in Kingman, AZ. A grievance filed by 27 officers and dispatchers allege that the Kingman Police Department had a informal policy of routinely dumping ''drunks'' outside city limits which resulted in the death of a man. The State Department of Public Safety was investigating allegations Police Captain, Arlan Berg interfered with the investigation of a friend's wife, Susan Sweet-Mahler.

In the Sweet-Mahler investigation, the grievance says, Berg's friend Walter Mahler told Berg on May 4 that Mahler's wife was missing, but Berg took no action. About a week later, the grievance says, members of a baby-sitting co-op told police they thought her disappearance was suspicious. A patrol officer was assigned to take a missing person report, but Berg refused to permit it. Later, when a woman from the baby-sitting co-op told a police detective she suspected foul play, the detective referred her to the chief, who ordered Berg to begin an investigation into the disappearance, ac-cording to the grievance. Investigators said the delay allowed time for destruction of evidence.

Sue was "missing" for nearly a month before Walt ever reported it. He claimed she ran off with another man, which is total nonsense. First of all, she was one of the most dedicated, involved, loving mother I've ever known, and she NEVER would have left her kids. She'd never have left her enormous antique doll collection which filled a glass cabinet that covered an entire wall. No luggage was missing, none of her clothes, NOTHING. No one will ever convince me that Walt isn't 100% behind this. No idea what connections he had/has with law enforcement, but he should have been arrested and this case solved decades ago. Still infuriates me that he got away with it. Sue was a sweetheart.

This is my Aunt Lori’s stepmom. I was 12 when she went missing. She would have never drank enough to be dropped off somewhere or left her life behind. Most people in our family are still under the impression that Walt had something to do with it or knows what happened. I personally feel like her son might know.

Bumping case up. I am hoping someone will add her to the Doe Network and Charley Project sites.

@meggilyweggily (I hope you don't mind the tag. Thank you.)

I can't find additional information or articles about her case. Can anyone find more?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby-Doo
Back