Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

Gay marriage really does cause direct harm to many traditional marriages. I don't think they're just saying that gay marriage will hurt their own- they really mean it and it's really true.

A conservative with repressed sexual hangups, lying awake at night steaming and tossing and turning as he vividly imagines all the gay married sex going on, picturing every last little detail, over and over for hours every night... losing sleep over it and leaving his poor wife physically neglected and unsatisfied. Instead of taking care of business at home, this obsession with gay sex is haunting his every daydream and bedroom moment- I can see how that kind of gay sex obsession could be really destructive to a marriage. I don't think these people are lying at all when they say that they think about gay sex a lot and then see their marriage crumbling.

But personal rights and freedom are more important than protecting the sensitive "feelings" of these people. So hats off to Washington!

Good news in Maryland: "Maryland advances gay marriage bill on Valentine's Day"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/15/us-usa-gaymarriage-maryland-idUSTRE81D24U20120215

We're getting there, an inch at a time.

I saw some really inspiring stuff during the talks for/against this past week that were held in front of the house, most notably, pastors who came to explain that while their church doesn't plan to marry gay couples, they see the difference between civil and religious marriage and want everyone to have the same protections under the law. Thank you nice pastors!

...I saw some really inspiring stuff during the talks for/against this past week that were held in front of the house, most notably, pastors who came to explain that while their church doesn't plan to marry gay couples, they see the difference between civil and religious marriage and want everyone to have the same protections under the law. Thank you nice pastors!

Amen! God bless rational men of the cloth!

How nice to see you here again, SCM. I've been wondering if you were taking a break...

I've been wondering too, Nova.

It's good to see you, scm! I've always read your posts carefully and with interest, every time. Hoping all is well with you & yours. :)

Good to see you SCMom!

Not as worried as I was. Alito and Roberts can go moderate at times. Thomas and Scalia scare me, but Scalia has the potential to surprise. Isn't he a big "fan" of St Thomas Aquinas (I've read about him mentioning Aquinas several times, and Aquinas' thought is big among Catholic conservatives)? Because Aquinas made very good arguments for why things that he and the Church consider to be immoral (he used the example of prostitution) could and should remain legal. I wonder if that could be an inroad argument for Scalia.

Thomas is the only one I can reliably predict to definitely vote unfavorably to marriage equality.

Which is a huge irony, isn't it, given his own completely upright sexual history :eyeroll:

I admit, Reader, that I haven't trusted SCOTUS since Bush v. Gore. The clear conflicts of interest and twisted arguments in that case forever destroyed any idealism I had about the Supreme Court. It wasn't even the ruling (which wasn't my preference), it was the process that was so outrageous.

So despite constitutional lawyer friends who try to tell me otherwise, I just assume that anything that gets to SCOTUS will end badly. I was hoping that with Prop 8, at least, they would just refuse to review it.

One good sign though: they chose NOT to accept the DOMA case that would have required Kagan to recuse herself (because she wrote the original brief). With Thomas ruling on cases involving his former employer, Monsanto, I would have been rioting in the streets if Kagan had been brushed aside.

The other bit of hope to which I cling is that the Court likes to be ahead of trends. And the electoral victories in Washington and Maryland suggest this isn't an issue where time is on the side of those opposed.

Illinois lawmakers hope to OK gay marriage in Jan.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L4_UNEWS

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Two Illinois lawmakers said Thursday that they will seek to legalize gay marriage when the General Assembly reconvenes early next year — a push that comes just 18 months after the state started allowing civil unions for same-sex couples.

Rep. Greg Harris and Sen. Heather Steans, both Chicago Democrats, declined to detail the status of roll-call votes in each chamber during a conference call with reporters. But Harris has previously said he wouldn't bring a bill to the floor without assurances that there are enough votes to pass it.

"We're in striking distance of being able to get it done," Stearns said..............

"It's very straightforward," Harris said. "We treat all couples with the same respect and dignity in the eyes of the law and we protect the rights of religious institutions to either consecrate or not consecrate marriages within their faith as they see fit. It's very important that government not involve itself in religion on either side of the issue."

More at link......

We should have had both, long before now, but I do hope to see both happen in the VERY near future! :)

(if forced to place a bet, though, I'd bet gay marriage in all 50 comes first)

We should have had both, long before now, but I do hope to see both happen in the VERY near future! :)

(if forced to place a bet, though, I'd bet gay marriage in all 50 comes first)

What a depressing thought!

(I think we all know I am strongly pro-gay marriage, but come on! Really? Gay marriage in Alabama before a female president?)

Lol Nova, I know, Gay marriage in Alabama sounds like such a remote chance that it's almost funny, but honestly I think there is such momentum right now around the country that it could actually happen. In following a few cases here that are located in very red southern states, I've poked around the local news stations web pages on other stories, and commenters seem to lean in favor, or at least most seem to lean towards the "not my cuppa tea, but I don't care" attitude. Maybe the commenters I've seen just skew younger? But I do think time is on the side of marriage equality - even the younger conservatives often seem to have a "who cares" attitude, that, while not optimal when it comes to acceptance, at least presents less of a legal roadblock, KWIM?

I also remember how absolutely vicious people were towards Hillary Clinton in the run up to the 2008 election. I'd normally write that off as mostly political disagreement, but the comments and talk I heard were aimed at her appearance, her intelligence, her marriage, etc. Things having to do with being a woman.

But yeah... It's kind of sad, isn't it, that we have to wonder who red-state conservative voters hate less - women or gays.

Perfect scenario: gay marriage becomes a reality in all 50, and we elect a gay woman prez! :woohoo:

Lol Nova, I know, Gay marriage in Alabama sounds like such a remote chance that it's almost funny, but honestly I think there is such momentum right now around the country that it could actually happen. In following a few cases here that are located in very red southern states, I've poked around the local news stations web pages on other stories, and commenters seem to lean in favor, or at least most seem to lean towards the "not my cuppa tea, but I don't care" attitude. Maybe the commenters I've seen just skew younger? But I do think time is on the side of marriage equality - even the younger conservatives often seem to have a "who cares" attitude, that, while not optimal when it comes to acceptance, at least presents less of a legal roadblock, KWIM?

I also remember how absolutely vicious people were towards Hillary Clinton in the run up to the 2008 election. I'd normally write that off as mostly political disagreement, but the comments and talk I heard were aimed at her appearance, her intelligence, her marriage, etc. Things having to do with being a woman.

But yeah... It's kind of sad, isn't it, that we have to wonder who red-state conservative voters hate less - women or gays.

Perfect scenario: gay marriage becomes a reality in all 50, and we elect a gay woman prez! :woohoo:

It seemed to me that for everyone who was vicious toward Ms. Clinton, somebody else was a devoted follower. I think she would have been nominated, at least, had the charismatic African-American not come along with superior organization on the ground and novel uses of the internet. (I hope that doesn't read as a slam against Obama. I have voted for him three times now.)

I think Clinton is a problematic example because of the "baggage" (mostly unfair) that attached to Clinton and her husband over the years. On the other hand, how many women get that sort of name-recognition without acquiring some baggage?

I live in Mary Bono's former district and at least half of the political ads here targeted Nancy Pelosi and accused Bono's Democratic opponent of being a "Pelosi plant". (Never mind that he practices medicine locally and has been a political activist since college. He won, BTW, the wave of gay and Latino votes finally overcoming our GOP retirees.)

So, yeah, I guess it's a complicated landscape for female candidates. But at the time who expected Margaret Thatcher?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjflow
Back