'Sybil': "I have essentially been lying"

Here's some of what wikipedia says about DID:

Dissociative identity disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis and describes a condition in which a person displays multiple distinct identities (known as alters or parts), each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment.

In the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems the name for this diagnosis is multiple personality disorder. In both systems of terminology, the diagnosis requires that at least two personalities (one may be the host) routinely take control of the individual's behavior with an associated memory loss that goes beyond normal forgetfulness; in addition, symptoms cannot be the temporary effects of drug use or a general medical condition. DID is less common than other dissociative disorders, occurring in approximately 1% of dissociative cases, and is often comorbid with other disorders.

There is a great deal of controversy surrounding the topic of DID. The validity of DID as a medical diagnosis has been questioned, and some researchers have suggested that DID may exist primarily as an iatrogenic adverse effect of therapy. DID is diagnosed significantly more frequently in North America than in the rest of the world.

Dissociative identity disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Much more at link.

I can chime in with first hand experience about repressed memories. Something significantly traumatic happened to me when I was 11 (I think), and while I can recall the beginning of the trauma, I cannot recall the middle, or the end...just the ending (where I had gotten to a place I was safe).

I never told anyone what happened, and I can't remember anything other than like I said above; I iknow what happened, because I did finally remember the beginning part, but try as I might (and I have), I can't recall the face or the other details.

Which, I suppose, is fine.

But repression of memories do happen...I've had another experience where I couldn't place certain people, but knew I knew them. Talked to them, asked after their family, exchanged pleasantries...but could not, just could NOT place them. A few days later, I did recall them, and while they were not bad guys, per se, they were deeply entrenched in a bad, bad, bad situation. And what's more, when I did remember them, I was so freaked out (how could I forget who they were??? It boggles me to this day, and was tormenting me then) I was rather distraught. Shortly after I remembered who they were, I broke out in hives bad enough to need to get to the hospital. Never had hives before, am not allergic to anything that I know of, was not bitten by anything...but had such a horrible, scary case of hives that I needed to get in for emergency medical help.

The mind is an amazing, very unknown "playground." I've experienced this first hand, and I still sit back and wonder at the power of the mind...

Just thought I'd share...

Best-
Herding Cats

I can chime in with first hand experience about repressed memories. Something significantly traumatic happened to me when I was 11 (I think), and while I can recall the beginning of the trauma, I cannot recall the middle, or the end...just the ending (where I had gotten to a place I was safe).

I never told anyone what happened, and I can't remember anything other than like I said above; I iknow what happened, because I did finally remember the beginning part, but try as I might (and I have), I can't recall the face or the other details.

But repression of memories do happen...I've had another experience where I couldn't place certain people, but knew I knew them. Talked to them, asked after their family, exchanged pleasantries...but could not, just could NOT place them. A few days later, I did recall them, and while they were not bad guys, per se, they were deeply entrenched in a bad, bad, bad situation. And what's more, when I did remember them, I was so freaked out (how could I forget who they were??? It boggles me to this day, and was tormenting me then) I was rather distraught. Shortly after I remembered who they were, I broke out in hives bad enough to need to get to the hospital. Never had hives before, am not allergic to anything that I know of, was not bitten by anything...but had such a horrible, scary case of hives that I needed to get in for emergency medical help.

The mind is an amazing, very unknown "playground." I've experienced this first hand, and I still sit back and wonder at the power of the mind...

Best-
Herding Cats

Wow! That is so freaky. If you ever do remember what happened I hope you can deal with it.

The rest is not meant for you HC.

When it comes to people who claim horrible abuse, in my experience, a lot of them have been lying. They want attention. This sickens me like a woman who claims to have been raped but hasn't. They make it so much harder on the true sufferers. JMO

All i can say is WOW!! This is the shot heard round the world for every practicing psychiatrist (past and present) right now!!
Personally, i never believed in it, but Dang!!! What a revelation!!!

Multiple personality disorder or now commonly referred to Dissociative identity disorder DOES exist. I have this condition and it is not that easy to live with. It is a coping mechanism, for those that have suffered extreme trauma.

I admit to being suspicious of Sybil and Trudi Chase, simply because they had so many personalities. I do see how DID could result in a victim of trauma, but I don't see how all of these personalities can be counted as separate "persons" rather than personality traits of maybe one or two split personalities.

Seemed a little exaggerated. I'd love to talk to people who actually have this issue. I find it fascinating.

I think disassociation is valid. It's how some people survive sexual abuse, for example. They just go somewhere else. I'm not up to date on the change in the diagnosis but I am starting to doubt the whole changing to a completely different personality in order to cope with abuse thing. It does make some sense - one develops a different personality to deal with abuse as a means of actually staying sane. The abused personality may be crazy but the protected person remains normal. It makes sense that horrific abuse could fragment a person that way.

But in recent months, thinking about this and now reading this account of how the doctor planted this in Sybil's mind to make money, I don't know. I'm starting to believe my dad was right. Some of the abuse many of these people claim they endured seems beyond a person's ability to survive. And then there are many people who endure horrific abuse, like Dave Pelzer, who do not fragment. I guess I am open either way but now a bit skeptical.

We might also add that most patients (except the narcissists, of course, LOL) worry they are boring their therapist. Consciously or unconsciously, a few alters solve that problem toute suite.

Ah, to the first post.

Been had since I read the book as a child.

Nothing to add, but thanks for waking me up..

URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG.

Goz

Best-
Herding Cats

:hug:

Multiple personality disorder or now commonly referred to Dissociative identity disorder DOES exist. I have this condition and it is not that easy to live with. It is a coping mechanism, for those that have suffered extreme trauma.

:hug:

I heard from an unreliable source that their isn't a single letter saying she lied. In fact there are 16 of them.

When it comes to people who claim horrible abuse, in my experience, a lot of them have been lying. They want attention.

No disrespect intended but this comment is very hurtful! Noone can judge another person or what they have been through unless they see it, or witness it themselves. To insinuate that a lot of these woman are lying, I think is a injustice in itself!

Also I do not think this is a laughing matter! Having DID is not fun to live with, and it is like having cancer or diabetes! It is a legitimate medical disorder. Nothing funny about it at all!

I admit to being suspicious of Sybil and Trudi Chase, simply because they had so many personalities. I do see how DID could result in a victim of trauma, but I don't see how all of these personalities can be counted as separate "persons" rather than personality traits of maybe one or two split personalities.

Seemed a little exaggerated. I'd love to talk to people who actually have this issue. I find it fascinating.

There are varying stages of DID. There is a typical person who has DID which could usually be 2-10 different personality's. Then there is an atypical person who could have over 100 personalities. This is called poly-fragmented DID, and not all of these personality's are full blown personality's a lot of them are called fragments.

For those that would like to learn a little more about DID I wrote a post a while back. It is listed in the Parking lot. You can read it here

No disrespect intended but this comment is very hurtful! Noone can judge another person or what they have been through unless they see it, or witness it themselves. To insinuate that a lot of these woman are lying, I think is a injustice in itself!

Also I do not think this is a laughing matter! Having DID is not fun to live with, and it is like having cancer or diabetes! It is a legitimate medical disorder. Nothing funny about it at all!

I'm sorry if I hurt you. I was saying that's in my experience, and that's based on more than guesswork.

Wow! That is so freaky. If you ever do remember what happened I hope you can deal with it.

The rest is not meant for you HC.

When it comes to people who claim horrible abuse, in my experience, a lot of them have been lying. They want attention. This sickens me like a woman who claims to have been raped but hasn't. They make it so much harder on the true sufferers. JMO

I have to agree with the portion of your post I bolded.vI worked at a local middle school as an office assistant. I don't have enough fingers and toes to tell you the amount of wild, horrible abuse stories told by students. A few were true. The majority were from kids seeking attention and kids trying to get their parents or guardians in trouble.
b bm
imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$