Tahoe Wildfire Destroys At Least 165 Buildings

Well, as of this time, we don't have any information that the fire is going northward beyond the high school. As long as it doesn't go north, the cabin will be okay. So for now, no news is good news. I'm going home for the day and won''t have an update for anyone til tomorrow. Think good thoughts and send up a prayer for the animals caught in this mess. Some rescue groups are already in the area trying to collect any stray pets to unite them with their owners. So far no human deaths or injuries reported.

Shadow, please let us know if your cabin has been spared! Praying it is!

ETA: Oops! Just came to see if Shadow checked in and noticed the post just above mine! :doh: You must have posted while I was composing and then I submitted it and split. Hope your cabin is still safe and sound, Shadow.

This makes me so sad....Tahoe is one of the places on earth that make me know without a doubt that there is a God! We love it there....

Prayers to all that have property nearby, and as Shadow mentioned, prayers for all of the animals :eek:( I know exactly where it is located, thanks to for all of the info. I had been trying to figure out the location by the national news reports, to no avail...Thanks !

Lynie

Well, it looks like we were spared for now. The northward burn of the fire seems to have been stopped for now. If they can keep it knocked down nad the winds that are forecast for Wednesday don't start it up again, then we are safe. A lot of ifs, but not really anything we can do but wait.

Thanks everyone for your concern and prayers. ;)

A good deal less smoke today. Collection areas for the evacuees have been set up, Mrs. & I are taking clothes & toys later today. So sad for these folks that lost everything.
Honestly I still cannot believe the destruction. I know when something doesn't burn for a long long time, there is much fuel for when it does burn. But at the same time, when something doesn't burn, you suspect it won't.
Bless you and your dear wife.

Lack of wind last night allowed ff's to gain ground on containing this fire. Estimates for full containment are sometime Sunday. Current containment is 40%
Full suppression and mop up hopefully by the end of next week.
This is actually one of the smaller fires acreage wise that is currently burning at approx 2500 acres. The Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge in Georgia is currently 386,722 acres burned...but they don't have homes in there so it's not big news.

So far this year nationwide we have had over just under 2 million acres burned. Last year at this time it was over 3 million.

Honestly I still cannot believe the destruction. I know when something doesn't burn for a long long time, there is much fuel for when it does burn. But at the same time, when something doesn't burn, you suspect it won't.
Bless you and your dear wife.

The L.A. fires 2 years ago in October were worse.

Thank you, and your wife for taking things to these folks esp at this time when they truely need it. You are an inspiration. I hope they will have some donation centers set up here soon too so I can do what I can to help as well.

Thanks !!! I'm going to contact the Salvation Army and Red Cross here in my area to see if they are taking donations to help those folks and their fur children.

I have a lot of good clothes and furniture to donate that I either don't wear or use. Seems I just "collected" for a period. :)

In a fast breaking development shortly before 3 p.m., the Angora fire jumped its northern perimeter as the wind picked up and a massive plume of smoke filled the sky. Residents of Tallac village were being evacuated, fire officials said.

http://www.sacbee.com/

Ash is falling in the parking lot of my office in Carson City - more than 25 miles from the fire - and the sky is covered with smoke.

Pictures from the Reno Gazette Journal readers...
Oh that is just all too familiar. The big fires in San Diego a few years back were just a dark horrid mess like these pictures Ad.
2 of my son's were in college down there and I jumped in my car to make sure they had supplies and were safe. I truly drove through fire to get down there and made it moments before they closed the highways.
It was like being in a movie. Dark thick clouds, ash everyhwere, horrible thick unbreathable air. It was night time during the day and it smelled so awful.The busiest area of the city was like a ghost town. It was something I hope I never see again.
Be careful up there Ad.

They are saying that they do not believe Highway 89 will contain the blaze. In fact, they've closed a portion of the highway and have basically left only one way out (east). You cant even get to highway 50 anymore. I think they are expecting the fire to jump 89. They've evacuated the Keys. I think it burned through DL Bliss state park - or at least it's very close. Winds are expected to get worse tonight. Things are not looking good.

They are saying that they do not believe Highway 89 will contain the blaze. In fact, they've closed a portion of the highway and have basically left only one way out (east). You cant even get to highway 50 anymore. I think they are expecting the fire to jump 89. They've evacuated the Keys. I think it burned through DL Bliss state park - or at least it's very close. Winds are expected to get worse tonight. Things are not looking good.
Gosh what a nightmare.
So now how will this affect the rain/snow season? I mean here, when Big Bear burned it took away all the natural barriers to the snow and water runoff. Down here on the flatland we had some pretty significant runoff and our channels were full of mountain runoff.
Is this an issue in the burning area does anyone know?

No real chance of that - the lake's too big, and the surface is kept between 6,223 and 6,229 feet above sea level Each foot represents about 40 billion gallons (and the lake is over 1,600 feet deep).

http://tahoe.usgs.gov/facts.html

http://tahoe.usgs.gov/bathimages.html

What it will affect is the clarity of the water to some extent, but that will pass.

Mark my words - the TRPA is responsible for houses burning. Look for references in the news in the days ahead! One of my pet peeves, and one of the things I do NOT miss since moving out of the Tahoe basin.
What about mudslides?

I heard on Fire Service authoity on the radio. He said they don't care about the houses only about people.

We are having a horrendous fire at a plastics plant in Riverside. Last I heard they had shut down the 91-215-60 interchange for miles in each direction. Started at 5 pm. Can only imagine what a mess that is. One of the busiest exchanges around.This kind of fire is toxic.

This is another nightmare;

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - A massive fire at a recycling company in Riverside is burning out of control, sending up a plume of thick, black smoke that can be seen for miles and forcing the closure of a major freeway interchange.
The fire at Unlimited Plastics broke out at about 5 pm near the junction of the 60 and 91 freeways and Interstate 215. Authorities say the blaze is burning in a large commercial yard filled with crates, lumber, barrels and trash.
Riverside Fire Battalion Chief Dave Campos tells KABC TV the smoke is very toxic to anyone in the vicinity.

http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=6714508

What a terrible tragedy for all of the people, pets, and wildlife. Gosh, this is just horrible, and I am praying for all who are affected.

I hope the fire where you are can be gotten under control as soon as possible and that no one is hurt their either.

What a difference between their and her. We are having flash floods, and there are rescues going on as we speak. At least 4 people have died so far, and I hope this ends for folks here, too.

Lion

Gosh what a nightmare.
So now how will this affect the rain/snow season? I mean here, when Big Bear burned it took away all the natural barriers to the snow and water runoff. Down here on the flatland we had some pretty significant runoff and our channels were full of mountain runoff.
Is this an issue in the burning area does anyone know?

It is always an issue. Reforestation is a high priority after a large fire. That's what BAER teams are for. Of course until the trees are big enough and have enough of a root system mudslides are going to be a problem so the agencies (CDF, BLM, FS) plant a lot of ground cover type native brush too.

It looks like they are hoping for full containment by next week now since the fire jumped the break. Big fires create their own weather so rain is a possibility.

No real chance of that - the lake's too big, and the surface is kept between 6,223 and 6,229 feet above sea level Each foot represents about 40 billion gallons (and the lake is over 1,600 feet deep).

http://tahoe.usgs.gov/facts.html

http://tahoe.usgs.gov/bathimages.html

What it will affect is the clarity of the water to some extent, but that will pass.

Mark my words - the TRPA is responsible for houses burning. Look for references in the news in the days ahead! One of my pet peeves, and one of the things I do NOT miss since moving out of the Tahoe basin.

Sure enough, there's an article in the Sacramento Bee today about this very topic!

Thank you for the update and responses to my questions Ad and Seeker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrskrash2012
Back